Will Tyler Wells stretch out this year?

Just Regular

It makes sense to stretch out Wells some, in order to build him up properly. The shoulder inflammation does not concern me as a starter as much as it would in the pen. Especially in the back end role he seemed slotted for. I am curious if they keep him in Baltimore, or place him AAA to get a more structured developmental environment for at least a few months. 

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

What do they mean by “piggy back”?  Like using an opener for 1-2 IP then piggy backing with Wells (and others) as a middle for 3-4 IP?

I imagine it refers to what they did in the minors last year. The starter gets 5 innings or 80 pitches then they bring in the piggy back starter to try and finish the rest of the game if possible, though I imagine the Orioles would use a setup and a closet to finish off close games. 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So I got some information on Wells. 

It appears the plan right now is to stretch him out. 

They are loooking at him more as a long relief/piggy back type thing than a pure starter.

So the Orioles may be going to more of a piggy back approach this year with their young pitchers. 

Thanks for the insight  on stretching T Wells out  Tony.   

If I am ranking O's starters that may pitch in the 1st half  of the season I would go  Grayson, Means, Lyles, Bradish,  T Wells, Zimmermann,  Baumann,  A Wells, Kremer, Akin, Lowther.

ST will probably chance that order.

And I don't see Grayson, Bradish ,Baumann, Kremer or Lowther on the opening day roster because they have unfinished business in AAA.   But they could be called to the majors after a month or two.

So if they stretch T Wells out I could see him making the rotation to begin the  season.

Thing is that T Wells looks good in the pen also.  So just because he begins in the  rotation does not mean  he couldn't end up in the pen because that is where he is needed.