2022 Trade Targets?

connja

We have a free agent thread, but this team now has a deep prospect list and may have more opportunities through trade.

Looks like the A's are about to set out on a rebuild, having traded Basset to the Mets.   They still have Manaea and Montas in the rotation - would be good to explore what it would take for either.

We’re still stacking bodies and climbing the mountain.  Sure we check on what it takes, but I don’t think we’re in the spot to trade away prospects at the moment.  Maybe a guy like Mullins, etc. like in other threads.  But that’s not what Oaktown wants.

We still have 2-3 more years of obscurity unfortunately. Hopefully moving up from worst team in baseball after 2022 but either way…now is the time to trade away major league players. Not give up prospects for players that will be gone by the time the team is competitive again. 

8 minutes ago, oriole said:

We still have 2-3 more years of obscurity unfortunately. Hopefully moving up from worst team in baseball after 2022 but either way…now is the time to trade away major league players. Not give up prospects for players that will be gone by the time the team is competitive again. 

I don’t think we’ll be the worst team in baseball in 2022.   Could be, but I think we’ll be more like bottom 5.    

27 minutes ago, connja said:

We have a free agent thread, but this team now has a deep prospect list and may have more opportunities through trade.

Looks like the A's are about to set out on a rebuild, having traded Basset to the Mets.   They still have Manaea and Montas in the rotation - would be good to explore what it would take for either.

I don't think we're in a position yet to be trading quality prospects for guys already in arbitration. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we’ll be the worst team in baseball in 2022.   Could be, but I think we’ll be more like bottom 5.    

Admittedly, I’m exaggerating to drive home my point that now is not the time to look for 1-2 year rentals (unless we sign Correa that is 😀).

But bottom 5 is the likely outcome, I agree. And when I say “obscurity” I mean 2023 and 2024 are still likely to be transition years, maybe hovering around .500 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Kimbrel

Meyer and Lopez

DeJong

I don’t think your Mullins for Meyer and Lopez deal idea gets any traction until (if) Cedric plays as well or almost as well the first two months of this season as he did last. 

I’d love to get DeJong. What do you think that would take? Not that much I’d assume. 

12 minutes ago, joelala said:

I don’t think your Mullins for Meyer and Lopez deal idea gets any traction until (if) Cedric plays as well or almost as well the first two months of this season as he did last. 

I’d love to get DeJong. What do you think that would take? Not that much I’d assume. 

I think it would take the Cards getting Correa or Story.  Maybe they trade him anyway but the reason I have mentioned it is because there has been a rumor that the Cards want Story.  He makes sense for them if they want to go that route.

Im all in on going after DeJong though.  He makes so much sense for this team.

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Why in the world would the reigning worst team in baseball give up meaningful prospect capital to acquire a 34 year old RP with a spotty recent track record with 1 year and $16 million remaining on his contract?  :confused:

Well it depends on what it could cost to get him but I would love to see us field a team that isnt a f’ing embarrassment and get several good players and actually look the part of a franchise who gives a sh*t.

I realize many fans think it’s crazy to expect their team to actually want to try and win games but I’m happily in the minority against the irrational group.

And if things don’t go well, he could fetch some stuff at the deadline.

But again it depends on what it costs.  If he is essentially a salary dump, I’m all for it.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it depends on what it could cost to get him but I would love to see us field a team that is a f’ing embarrassment and get several good players and actually look the part of a franchise who gives a sh*t.

I realize many fans think it’s crazy to expect their team to actually want to try and win games but I’m happily in the minority against the irrational group.

You didn't answer his legitimate questions/objections.  ;)