Hunter Harvey DFAed

NelsonCruuuuuz

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe they're just tired of this guy being hurt all the time.  I don't think they're alone there.  

At some point the fact that the guy simply can't stay healthy has to outweigh whatever tantalizing talent he has.  

He hasn't been overwhelming even when healthy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe they're just tired of this guy being hurt all the time.  I don't think they're alone there.  

At some point the fact that the guy simply can't stay healthy has to outweigh whatever tantalizing talent he has.  

His "tantalizing talent" consists of a completely flat upper 90s fastball and nothing else

2 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

His "tantalizing talent" consists of a completely flat upper 90s fastball and nothing else

It is pretty hard to work on developing secondary pitches when one is hurt the entirety of each season and just spends the offseason hunting.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

On the face of it, the comment is him just being honest about what he thinks happened.   On the face of it, it's hard to believe that would lead to a release.   There may have been more behind the scenes.   I think he hasn't been the same since his initial callup when he closed and looked very good both at Norfolk and in Baltimore.   His releases by SF suggests that there are physical issues that are still there in the arm.   The comments or behind the scenes stuff could have been the straw that broke the camel's back but I doubt the Orioles would have released him if they thought he could  still be guy who made that strong debut.   My guess is there's another surgery in his future or a retirement or both.

Of course there were concerns over his ability to pitch regularly or at all, but you can make all the excuses you want, the timing of his release certainly suggests it was the straw that broke the camel's back. The Orioles had plenty of time to release him before the comments so why a few days afterwards? I never said it was only because of the comment. In fact, all all I said was he probably burned some bridges with his comment since the Orioles organization is very close hold with information and access and anyone that strays off is shortly let go.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He hasn't been overwhelming even when healthy.

This is true as well. Harvey has a good arm velocity wise, but it's a low spin, fairly straight 4-seamer. None of his offspeed pitches were even consistently average. There's a lot of guys who can throw 97 now in the majors and without a true outpitch, he's vulnerable to major league hitters. He's a guy that will get a minor league contract somewhere and try to prove he's healthy enough to pitch regularly enough to be of value to a major league team. Unless he's hurt, I would not be surprised to see him show back up in the majors this year with someone.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is true as well. Harvey has a good arm velocity wise, but it's a low spin, fairly straight 4-seamer. None of his offspeed pitches were even consistently average. There's a lot of guys who can throw 97 now in the majors and without a true outpitch, he's vulnerable to major league hitters. He's a guy that will get a minor league contract somewhere and try to prove he's healthy enough to pitch regularly enough to be of value to a major league team. Unless he's hurt, I would not be surprised to see him show back up in the majors this year with someone.

Yeah there's not a whole lot separating him now from a guy like Hanhold. MPH or 2. Hanhold averages about 95mph and was just DFA'd by the PIrates. 

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And then immediately go on the IL. 

16 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It's weird how several people on here cling to something and manage to insert it in almost every topic. 

I would guess that most here are non-committal about Elias rather than thinking he's a genius.

Some people have an agenda and feel they must put it into every thread they come upon. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

It's weird how several people on here cling to something and manage to insert it in almost every topic. 

I would guess that most here are non-committal about Elias rather than thinking he's a genius.

I think most just like to argue :) 

I tracked the Josh Rodgers move last year. I thought it was a mistake coming off a major surgery. Should have given him more time. 

• Upvote 1