28 man opening day roster - so who's on it?

seak05

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't think Santander will lose his starting spot in spring training.  O's are hoping he has a big 1st half and they can trade him at deadline.  Making him a 4th OF kills his value.  Plus, what has Diaz really shown since he was traded from LA.  It seems like he hasn't advanced at all as a hitter in 3 years.

I know it’s early, but I like Diaz’ approach. He’s staying inside the ball and driving it with authority to RF. 

• Upvote 2

Less then two weeks to go:

OF: Hays, Mullins, Santander, McKenna - this position seems the most clear cut

1b/dh - Mountcastle, Mancini (with Mancini also being an OF option - they keep running him out there). Again seems clear cut

IF - Odor, Urias, Mateo, Gutierrez, Owens - Urias starts somewhere, most of these guys have position flexibility

C -  Chirinos, pick a name as seat warmer for Adley

SP - Means, Lyles, Wells, Zimmerman, Bradish - they seem to be open to Bradish making team, and no one else is making a huge push

RP - Lowther, Scott, Lopez, Fry, Lakins, Sedlock, Tate, Vespi (?), Suler, Akin - total guess, Scott, Lopez, Sulser and Tate are probably locks. Lakins is having a good spring

I think they would like the Diaz, Vavra, Stowers, Jones etc group to prove it at Triple-A first

Edited by seak05
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, seak05 said:

SP - Means, Lyles, Wells, Zimmerman, Bradish - they seem to be open to Bradish making team, and no one else is making a huge push

Each of our potential starters has pitched in game action exactly once, for two innings or less (except Lyles, who missed his start due to illness).   How could anyone make a “huge push?”

Bradish and Lowther both had a nice first outing.   That should earn them a second look, but I wouldn’t say anyone really has a leg up on a starter role yet.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Each of our potential starters has pitched in game action exactly once, for two innings or less (except Lyles, who missed his start due to illness).   How could anyone make a “huge push?”

Bradish and Lowther both had a nice first outing.   That should earn them a second look, but I wouldn’t say anyone really has a leg up on a starter role yet.

Perhaps (all things being relative) a nice outing looks like a huge push, compared to the huge sinking pull of many of his potential peers.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Because you have whatever Akin is doing (and Bauman). It's all early speculation anyways. 

Edited by seak05

30 minutes ago, connja said:

I know it's early, but I'm kinda over Akin and have no interest in seeing him on the roster.  He's always out of shape and can't throw strikes.  Frankly, as soon as they need a 40 man spot I'd be fine with a DFA.  

Does he still have options?  Yeah, he seems a stretch to be anything other than a middle reliever.

19 hours ago, seak05 said:

Less then two weeks to go:

OF: Hays, Mullins, Santander, McKenna - this position seems the most clear cut

1b/dh - Mountcastle, Mancini (with Mancini also being an OF option - they keep running him out there). Again seems clear cut

IF - Odor, Urias, Mateo, Gutierrez, Owens - Urias starts somewhere, most of these guys have position flexibility

C -  Chirinos, pick a name as seat warmer for Adley

RP - Lowther, Scott, Lopez, Fry, Lakins, Sedlock, Tate, Vespi (?), Suler, Akin - total guess, Scott, Lopez, Sulser and Tate are probably locks. Lakins is having a good spring

I think they would like the Diaz, Vavra, Stowers, Jones etc group to prove it at Triple-A first

I don’t see any point in not promoting Diaz if he continues to rake in spring training. The longer they keep him down the more likely he gets buried.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t see any point in not promoting Diaz if he continues to rake in spring training. The longer they keep him down the more likely he gets buried.

Who gets left off the roster to make room for Diaz, and where's he going to get playing time until the inevitable Hays or Santander injury?

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Only question would be if he would be better off playing full time so where. Otherwise probably stay in AAA until an injury opens a spot. With Hays and Santander it shouldn't be long.