28 man opening day roster - so who's on it?

seak05

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I spent the whole spring thinking he was going to get paired with Wells because Akin was pitching so poorly. Then he randomly walks 4 guys in 2 awful innings to close out his spring training. Talk about a choke job. 

I think Elias has seen about enough of Orioles Hangout Prized Son Zac Lowther and I would not blame him. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Zappa's dead and he's the only one I recall that used a lot of Kazoo.  Weird Al maybe?  But he tends to keep the same backing band.

How about Dweezil's cover band?

I went to see the Foo Fighters at Merriweather a few years ago.  Can’t believe Dave didn’t call me up out of the crowd to play with them.  Bummer. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think that Elias isn't factoring in service time and potential competitive window in his promotion schedule?  You think he's just going by the "when he's ready" metric?

Why would he not consider all of that? Isn’t that his job as GM? Or should he just promote everyone on your schedule because that’s what the Tigers did 15 years ago?

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

I'm hoping the O's claim Neidert.  Seems like he would be an upgrade over Lowther and Akin, even if only slightly.

Neidert is a poor man's version of Lowther.  People are getting too caught up in the SSS respectable ML ERA for Niedert. 

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Neidert is a poor man's version of Lowther.  People are getting too caught up in the SSS respectable ML ERA for Niedert. 

The bar is low. Can he enter a game and not walk 3 straight guys against the Pirates spring training lineup? 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The question is what else they could have done.

Let Grayson get his ~130 innings in the majors is something else they could have done.

I sure hope they don't get caught up in a one size fits all mentality when it comes to how they treat prospects.  That seems shortsighted. 

More they slow roll guys the longer we can claim number one farm system and be two years away from being two years away 😛

Just now, interloper said:

The bar is low. Can he enter a game and not walk 3 straight guys against the Pirates spring training lineup? 

Well I sure hope that is not how the Orioles evaluate which players to keep or acquire.

Despite a 2.1 BB/9 in the minors, Neidert has a 5.1 BB/9 rate in 44 major league innings so I'd say he's as likely to walk three straight guys in spring training as anyone. 

8 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Well I sure hope that is not how the Orioles evaluate which players to keep or acquire.

Despite a 2.1 BB/9 in the minors, Neidert has a 5.1 BB/9 rate in 44 major league innings so I'd say he's as likely to walk three straight guys in spring training as anyone. 

Yeah I'm just frustrated about that outing. It's why I loved Tyler Wells so much last year. AA pitcher but he comes in and acts the part and attacks guys. Guys like Lowther and Akin and Kremer have so much experience and yet they have completely wilted when it was their time to shine. Maybe it's a development failure, or maybe they just aren't ML caliber guys. Which is fine, but it's why you see Elias saying their time is running out. I'm sure he was hoping he was going to be able to trade a couple of these guys when Rodriguez and Hall were ready to come up. Right now they're trending more towards DFA candidates than trade candidates. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I'm just frustrated about that outing. It's why I loved Tyler Wells so much last year. AA pitcher but he comes in and acts the part and attacks guys. Guys like Lowther and Akin and Kremer have so much experience and they have completely wilted when it was their time to shine. Maybe it's a development failure, or maybe they just aren't ML caliber guys. Which is fine, but it's why you see Elias saying their time is running out. 

It is frustrating for sure, no disagreement there.  I do like the chances of at least 1 of those 3 having a decent bounce back this season though.  They all still have very limited major league innings so there is hope, even if those innings have been largely difficult to watch. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I spent the whole spring thinking he was going to get paired with Wells because Akin was pitching so poorly. Then he randomly walks 4 guys in 2 awful innings to close out his spring training. Talk about a choke job. 

I think Elias has seen about enough of Orioles Hangout Prized Son Zac Lowther and I would not blame him. 

Not a good look for Lowther but Elias should be making these decisions based on body of work months in advance, not on one start. Unfortunately all the bubble guys seem to be pooping their final starts as well. Kremer, Lowther, even Zimmerman. Akin gets another shot tomorrow and will probably be bad. Bauman was good in last appearance but awful before that. Just seems like an extension of last year where nobody could establish any consistency and none of these guys are seizing opportunities they have been given.

Of course Bradish had a good spring and starts in AAA (not that I disagree with that).