Joc Pederson and the Number of the Beast

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I didn't know that the object of the game was to spend the most money.  I thought it was to win.   Let's talk  in a year or two Joc.

I don't know about you but I am not embarrassed by a low payroll.

I'm not sure Elias knows the object of the game is to win.  He might think the game is just about the draft.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he was just venting.  Probably not completely satisfied with how the CBA talks shook out.

I agree with this...I think Pederson an interesting individual to make this particular kvetch as I imagine he hoped for more $$$ in an NL DH world, and those bottom teams peacing out on every decent ballplayer hampered his market.  He's like, I had my One Shining Moment in October and there are 15 extra DH jobs, and this is all I get?

I doubt seriously Joc Pederson is deeply concerned for my fandom of the guys with this color laundry.

Awesome writing, Moose!

I hate that the Orioles have such a low payroll. I hate that they are clearly intentionally being terrible and actually going out of their way to make sure the team is bad. It’s worth mentioning though that for as ridiculous and offensive it is that the Orioles have basically gamed the system so that whoever has the good fortune to play them will almost be guaranteed a win…it’s equally ridiculous that teams like the Yankees and Dodgers can have payrolls that are so far north of average. That is just as much a stain on the game as what the Orioles are doing IMO. It’s just easier to swallow because everyone loves Yankees/Dodgers hegemony and perpetual playoff appearances. But it’s not a fair game and if the only way for a mid level team to have an extended winning streak not based on luck is to have an orchestrated losing streak then I think everyone in the game needs to just accept it. I don’t expect to hear Joc complain about that one though

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I didn't know that the object of the game was to spend the most money.  I thought it was to win.   Let's talk  in a year or two Joc.

I don't know about you but I am not embarrassed by a low payroll.

Don't pretend like the Orioles weren't making "cost conscious" moves back when they were competing.  I understand they were 10th in overall salary at one point, and 1st way back when, but regardless of the competiveness of the team we have all known for a long time that ownership has been a problem.  We can't pretend like thats going to change all of a sudden.  

The most likely result is you enjoy your 5 years of AR and G-Rod on an okay to mediocre team, hope that they make smart moves in who else to retain and who to add and move on from there.

Really just hope for new owners.

7 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Don't pretend like the Orioles weren't making "cost conscious" moves back when they were competing.  I understand they were 10th in overall salary at one point, and 1st way back when, but regardless of the competiveness of the team we have all known for a long time that ownership has been a problem.  We can't pretend like thats going to change all of a sudden.  

The most likely result is you enjoy your 5 years of AR and G-Rod on an okay to mediocre team, hope that they make smart moves in who else to retain and who to add and move on from there.

Really just hope for new owners.

The low payroll is a function of where the O's are in the rebuild.   

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The low payroll is a function of where the O's are in the rebuild.   

Which is limbo.

Year four of tearing down and "seeing what we have".

You can't compare this to the Astros anymore, by this point the Astros were moving forward, not continuing to cut payroll.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which is limbo.

Year four of tearing down and "seeing what we have".

You can't compare this to the Astros anymore, by this point the Astros were moving forward, not continuing to cut payroll.

Different times.  No minor league in 2020 slowed progress.  But the talent starts arriving this year and next.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The object of the game isn't to spend a lot of money, no one said it should be.  

But if it doesn't irk you that the Orioles are spending less than what Max Scherzer makes in a season, I don't know what to tell you.  I don't think anyone here is arguing that the Orioles should spend money unwisely but it's frustrating to see a team that had a 120-160 million payroll a few years ago acting like they're in the poorhouse. 

Don't tell me this team can't spend money, especially on the rotation.  The E-Rod deal was something that we could have done easily and would have made this team better this year.  

I'd be more irked if there wasn't a strategy or the organization was behaving like Colorodo with no discernable direction or plan to contend.  I do think the Orioles should have signed at least one more starter.  I would have liked an ERod signing but not surprised they aren't giving out longer contracts at this stage.  For better or worse they are taking the Astros approach. At a similar time in their rebuild they also had the leagues lowest payroll.  It makes it hard to get too irked about something I was already conditioned to expect.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Astros had 3 100+ loss season, had the lowest paryoll in baseball going into the season the season after. 
Orioles are coming off their 3rd 100+ loss season and have the lowest payroll in baseball going into the season after.  

Seems comparable to me.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I'd be more irked if there wasn't a strategy or the organization was behaving like Colorodo with no discernable direction or plan to contend.  I do think the Orioles should have signed at least one more starter.  I would have liked an ERod signing but not surprised they aren't giving out longer contracts at this stage.  For better or worse they are taking the Astros approach. At a similar time in their rebuild they also had the leagues lowest payroll.  It makes it hard to get too irked about something I was already conditioned to expect.

I'm conditioned to expect it, too.  

But I'd be somewhat more understanding if we were losing 100 games routinely and had a terrible farm system.  But that's not the case here.  I think it's pretty stupid to wait until all these guys have graduated before making any moves, especially when it comes to the rotation and the pitching staff on the whole.

11 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Astros had 3 100+ loss season, had the lowest paryoll in baseball going into the season the season after. 
Orioles are coming off their 3rd 100+ loss season and have the lowest payroll in baseball going into the season after.  

Seems comparable to me.

Ahhh, can't lose 100 games if you don't play a full 162!  I'm sure 2020 would have made it a 4th straight losing season if all the games were played.