Zac Lowther 2022

Frobby

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it’s safe to say he won’t get claimed if he’s taken off the 40-man.  He’s completely lost.   Don’t know what happened to the guy.  

This is a guy that’s looked before like there was hope for him in the MLB rotation. Now he’s getting g completely shelled in AAA. Could he be working on things?  In the long run, his AAA ERA doesn’t matter if we’re having him make significant changes. 

We’re not exactly swimming in SP depth so I see him getting a bit more leash to work things out. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re not exactly swimming in SP depth so I see him getting a bit more leash to work things out. 

Correct. No chance I'm giving up on him. There was a time not that long ago where he looked like a legit future ML pitcher, even if in middle relief.

I do hate to say this but he might be a change of scenery guy too. There are teams who would take a chance on him, maybe even on their 40 man rosters if they have some fat of their own to cut. 

6 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

Lowther's DFA is understandable, but do we really need another infielder who can't hit?

I think it's more of a "break glass in case of emergency" move with Urias going on the IL recently. If Mateo or Martin get hurt anytime soon, Arauz would probably wind up getting some starts for the O's.

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, interloper said:

Zac Lowther has been released. 

That's truly a bummer for Lowther, but I'm not sure his game plays in MLB anymore these days; he really didn't seem to have the command for being a tricky lefty and certainly didn't have the velocity to show as a 1 inning reliever. I wish him all the best, some team will pick him up for sure on a minor league contract if he's interested.

It always makes me sad when a guy who had some success in the minors just can’t take that last step or two snd washes out.  In Lowther’s case, it really seemed like the pandemic year derailed his progress and he was never the same again. Good luck to him.