How to watch O's games with out cable or satellite service

daffy022

Is there any way to watch Orioles games without a cable or satellite service? I live in southern PA so I am in the blackout are for mlb.tv.  I am contemplating cutting the cord and going to all streaming.  YouTube TV is an option but I do not think they carry MASN.  The other option I am looking at is Direct TV streaming.  That is more expensive but I do think I can access MASN through them.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I just added DirecTv stream.  Will cancel it after baseball season.  

They are doing a deal now where it’s $10 a month cheaper for the first 3 months.

Yeah, this is the best (legal) option and is a lot easier than playing the Comcast dance of canceling and having a spouse sign up as a new customer.

If you do sign up for Directv Stream, I recommend going through a click-through site like Rakuten or your credit card for an additional $25-50 back.

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I just added DirecTv stream.  Will cancel it after baseball season.  

They are doing a deal now where it’s $10 a month cheaper for the first 3 months.

How much is that?  Is this the same ATT/Directv streaming package that was really the only legal streaming means last year?  That was roughly $100 a month.  I'm not going to pay that to turn on the O's, see that they're down 5-0 in the second, and let my kids switch to much more enjoyable reruns of Impractical Jokers.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How much is that?  Is this the same ATT/Directv streaming package that was really the only legal streaming means last year?  That was roughly $100 a month.  I'm not going to pay that to turn on the O's, see that they're down 5-0 in the second, and let my kids switch to much more enjoyable reruns of Impractical Jokers.

Yea it’s 80 for 3 months and 90 the rest of the time.  Basically, I will pay $120 (the difference between DTv and YoutubeTV) to watch the Os this year. 

I used to do the MLB.tv and VPN thing for a few years and it was just a pain in the ass after awhile.  It would work a fair amount of the time, other times it wouldn't.  But the times it did work, I got that good feeling that I was sticking it to the man.  

I signed up for DirecTV last year, it works well. 

5 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

The cheapest answer is probably a good VPN with an mlb.tv subscription. mlb.tv is the most expensive part (I just paid $157 for a year including tax) but a solid VPN will only you back like $40-60 a year.

My understanding is that technically this solution is not legal.  

23 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

If you are using the VPN to skirt blackout restrictions, then technically, yes. 

What law are you violating?  Or is it just the terms of service of the MLB.com subscription.  Is that illegal, or are they just going to cancel your subscription if they find out?  There's no law that says MLB blackout restrictions are sacrosanct, but I suppose there's some way to tie it back to DMCA or similar that says nobody should ever hack a workaround to a monopoly's digital controls.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What law are you violating?  Or is it just the terms of service of the MLB.com subscription.  Is that illegal, or are they just going to cancel your subscription if they find out?  There's no law that says MLB blackout restrictions are sacrosanct, but I suppose there's some way to tie it back to DMCA or similar that says nobody should ever hack a workaround to a monopoly's digital controls.

The mlb.com site says any attempt to circumvent a blackout results in immediate termination, a $100 fine, and that you may be subject to legal action and they may also notify the authorities. Then again, this is the same organization that decided to black out Giants and A’s games in Guam (a decision which surely was a boon to their walk-up sales).

Personally I would never use a VPN to circumvent a blackout (because that would be wrong), but sometimes I do enjoy streaming games through servers based in other parts of the country. It just makes me feel so traveled

• Upvote 4