DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

I don't see why Hall can't work on his command in the minors.  I am speaking based upon actually watching him pitch vs just scouting the stat line.  If the Orioles have a guy in the rotation go down, I am all for calling him up.  But at the moment it isn't clear to me that he would be an improvement over our current group of starters.  

Edited by baltfan
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Wouldn't promoting him to the Majors mess with his routine? How's he going to handle that against the best hitters on the planet? It's always the organization's fault, never the player. 

McLanahan just pitched one inning in the All Star game, then comes back and throws seven crisp innings on 81 pitches. I think the unfortunate truth is Hall is inconsistent.

The question is whether there is advantage to his development or to the team in having him fix it with more experience in the minors or if he is what he is. We would be taking a big risk that the same thing will happen against MLB hitters and he will be costing us games when we are 3 back of the wild card and otherwise playing good baseball.

These are fair points. Mostly I am frustrated that there's very little transparency about what exactly is happening. All we know is that Roch said short starts will be normal after the All-Star break. Well - are they permanent? Are they building back up? Is he a reliever, essentially, for the rest of 2022? Would he have gone more than 1 inning if he managed to get 3 outs? We know nothing, and that's super frustrating. 

Basically, we should all forget about DL Hall right now I think. Bradish is going to get the first open rotation spot anyway. Wells will have to ramp down in innings and maybe Hall helps at that point. But right now they don't appear ready to bump Voth or Watkins - which - fine, I guess? But if the point is to springboard Hall into 2023 by getting his feet wet in 2022, they are so far doing a poor job of that. And why burn your bullpen with these short Voth starts?

Edited by interloper

I'm not going to obsess over one bad outing when Hall's had so many dominant games. I get Elias wanting to limit the inning coming out of the break so these guys can pitch in September. Fine, but why not bring him up, let him start and go two innings before turning the game over to Voth or whoever. Then bump it up to three innings and so on. He can continue to learn at the big league level, and if he struggles, that's a bridge we'll have to cross.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I'm not going to obsess over one bad outing when Hall's had so many dominant games. I get Elias wanting to limit the inning coming out of the break so these guys can pitch in September. Fine, but why not bring him up, let him start and go two innings before turning the game over to Voth or whoever. Then bump it up to three innings and so on. He can continue to learn at the big league level, and if he struggles, that's a bridge we'll have to cross.

Because he's been in Triple-A for only two months, and he hasn't mastered the level yet. We follow every day and every start, and that's cool.....but this idea that every time a prospect gets hot they're ready for the next level, or two months at a level is a long time is ridiculous, and not how any system operates. Prospects staying at one level for an entire year is normal (and this is also true of the clamor for bringing up Henderson and Westburg)

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

These are fair points. Mostly I am frustrated that there's very little transparency about what exactly is happening. All we know is that Roch said short starts will be normal after the All-Star break. Well - are they permanent? Are they building back up? Is he a reliever, essentially, for the rest of 2022? Would he have gone more than 1 inning if he managed to get 3 outs? We know nothing, and that's super frustrating. 

Basically, we should all forget about DL Hall right now I think. Bradish is going to get the first open rotation spot anyway. Wells will have to ramp down in innings and maybe Hall helps at that point. But right now they don't appear ready to bump Voth or Watkins - which - fine, I guess? But if the point is to springboard Hall into 2023 by getting his feet wet in 2022, they are so far doing a poor job of that. And why burn your bullpen with these short Voth starts?

I suspect that they are conserving his innings should they need him as a reliever or emergency starter in the unlikely event the Orioles are in the playoffs, ala David Price years ago for the Rays. 

i would guess the reason for the one inning thing (which many pitchers in system did was to act like a bullpen session after a long break).  We dont know how much if any the guys in minors threw over the break, if they stayed around the facilities and worked out or they took a short vacation with the family and didnt throw any.  

7 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Doesn't look like the same pitcher as what we were watching earlier in the season. Is he tipping his pitches? Is there something mechanically he's doing different? Any guesses on what issue is?

After his last two outings, I'm concerned he might be hurt. He adjusted a few weeks ago because he felt like he was tipping his pitches and hopefully whatever adjustment he made didn't lead to injury. Yikes, this game and his last are kind of scary back-to-back.

• Upvote 1