DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

Pitched through 4 innings without giving up a hit, though walked 5. Start of the 5th he got hit around and left after 1 out, 3 runs scored, and runners on 1st and 2nd.

Those 2 runs came around to score, although none were earned. 2 ER tonight as Silver pointed out.

This was really the worst outing I’ve seen.  So little command of anything he was throwing.  Forget about “No hits thru the first 4IP” because he wasn’t throwing anything in the zone.

The first run given up, a home run, was on the third slider in a row to the same location, all outside the zone.

The other runs were the defense falling apart behind him and a little bloop single with a man on.

But again, lots of missed location all night. 

• Upvote 2

There’s at least a decent chance that he will never be an effective starter. I hope they are also thinking of Hall as a commodity with limited shelf life. If he’s going to ultimately be a one-inning, flame-throwing reliever, then I think there’s a strong case that it’s time to see him in Baltimore. He’s pretty likely to be prone to periods of wildness and blow some games, but there is also a good chance that his career year will be lights out at the back end of the bullpen. That could help the Orioles push for a playoff spot in a few years or produce a nice return in a deadline trade. It seems like he will have a lot to learn in the majors even if he spends all year at Norfolk. I also worry about a major arm or shoulder injury. There’s only so much shelf life. At some point they are just wasting pitches at AAA if he’s not going to get better there. 

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

There’s at least a decent chance that he will never be an effective starter. I hope they are also thinking of Hall as a commodity with limited shelf life. If he’s going to ultimately be a one-inning, flame-throwing reliever, then I think there’s a strong case that it’s time to see him in Baltimore. He’s pretty likely to be prone to periods of wildness and blow some games, but there is also a good chance that his career year will be lights out at the back end of the bullpen. That could help the Orioles push for a playoff spot in a few years or produce a nice return in a deadline trade. It seems like he will have a lot to learn in the majors even if he spends all year at Norfolk. I also worry about a major arm or shoulder injury. There’s only so much shelf life. At some point they are just wasting pitches at AAA if he’s not going to get better there. 

I think it's a very good chance which would not be the worst thing. I think he could be very effective in that role and the Oriole bullpen will have to be dominant given the state of the rotation which will be average at best for the forseeable future. No need to come to any conclusions now though, give him his starts to make sure he gets his innings and we'll see. 

5 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

If he's never going to make it as a starter, it might be worth trading him now, while he still has pretty high value? Or do people think no matter how big of a prospect he is now he'd have more value after establishing himself as a dominant reliever? 

I think he will be a starter for at least the next year and a half.  The O's need starters.  They will continue to try to develop him as a good one IMO.   If by 2024 he shows he can't be a starter than he might become a reliever.

That arm is not something I think the O's will trade.   They need pitching too much for that.  Don't get discouraged by a bad outing.   The O's are in on DL Hall for the long term.

• Upvote 1

Even before this outing, it was my opinion to bring him up and just ask him to go 3 innings.  The control will come and go.  He can help this team as a multi inning reliever.  He can gain ML experience.  He can still have his sides and bullpen sessions to work on things.  He's never going to be a starter until he's more consistent with his command.  Instead of wasting bullets in AAA let him do the rest of his training at the ML level.  Someday it will click or it won't click but he can be valuable in the meantime. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

If he's never going to make it as a starter, it might be worth trading him now, while he still has pretty high value? Or do people think no matter how big of a prospect he is now he'd have more value after establishing himself as a dominant reliever? 

Don't trade now. It may be relatively low probability, but his arm is super special and he COULD develop into a dominating starter. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No need to overreact. On a night where he just didn’t have it, he was still able to go 4.2 and only give us 2 ER. The silver lining is that he’s up to 90 pitches now. He’ll be alright. 

It’s not really a matter of overreacting.  Hall has had a lot of games like this one, it’s not an isolated event.   You can read @Tony-OH’s report from 2-3 weeks ago and it’s the same thing we’re seeing now.  He’s not able to throw his breaking stuff for strikes right now.