Calling out the pitchers

Going Underground

Mike Elias is somewhat right to call out the pitchers.Many of the Orioles starters are not that young anymore besides Grayson and DL Hall. Time for some of them to step up or be gone.

Akin is 27 .Baumann soon will be 27.Kremer is 26 Tyler Wells soon 28. Bruce Zimmermann is 27.

Kyle Bradish will soon be 26.Zac Lowther is 26 this month.Cody Sedlock soon will be 27.

The time has come. To says fair's fair.To pay the rent.To do their share.

How bad can they pitch this year?

The ERA is alarming.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Elias needs to take some responsibility here as well.

He needs to give them more consistent opportunities.  The yo-yo’ing up and down has to stop.  The not pitched at all for extended stretches has to stop.

We can question the abilities of all these guys and that’s fair to do so but Elias hasn’t always done what’s best for them or the organization either.  

He could also provide these guys with actual big leaguers playing behind them.  At least that aspect should be better but that was pretty questionable in recent years.

Let's get the ages right first.  Baseball age is traditional determined by how old a player is on July 1st.

22- Grayson

23- DL Hall

25 - Bradish, Smith, A Wells

26 - Baumann, Kremer, Lowther

27 - Tyler Wells, Zimmerman, Akin

28 - Means

31 - Lyles

The calling out was mainly for Zimmermann, Akin, Kremer, Lowther and Alex Wells.  And in May the rotation could be Means, Lyles, T Wells, Grayson, Bradish with Baumann as the 6th starter and Hall added in July.   So the calling out is mostly about  if the 5 pitchers in the first line want to be major leaguers you better get your act together.  Because T Wells, Grayson, Bradish and Baumann are coming fast.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I see Grayson is not starting today for Norfolk.I guess they have him to pitch the fourth ,fifth game or maybe six man rotation? Maybe even comes in after the starter.We shall see.I know someone said that they would try to keep his innings down at the beginning. 

He’s starting the 4th game 

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Mike Elias is somewhat right to call out the pitchers.Many of the Orioles starters are not that young anymore besides Grayson and DL Hall. Time for some of them to step up or be gone.

Akin is 27 .Baumann soon will be 27.Kremer is 26 Tyler Wells soon 28. Bruce Zimmermann is 27.

Kyle Bradish will soon be 26.Zac Lowther is 26 this month.Cody Sedlock soon will be 27.

The time has come. To says fair's fair.To pay the rent.To do their share.

How bad can they pitch this year?

The ERA is alarming.

Wells is getting his chance. He showed all of the signs last season and in ST that he could have some success.

Bradish should be starting in Baltimore, maybe he will be up pretty soon.

The other guys are what they are. Maybe one will turn out as a starter, and maybe a reliever out of the bunch. It's hard to build a team of mostly home grown type of players.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Wells is getting his chance. He showed all of the signs last season and in ST that he could have some success.

Bradish should be starting in Baltimore, maybe he will be up pretty soon.

The other guys are what they are. Maybe one will turn out as a starter, and maybe a reliever out of the bunch. It's hard to build a team of mostly home grown type of players.

It's even harder when you don't spend much at all draft capital on them.

• Upvote 1

Elias bears some responsibility here, but he's not the one out there throwing the pitches.  It's also ignorant to think that he's able to wave a magic wand over guys that have middling stuff like Akin, Kremer, Lowther, A Wells, Zimmerman and they'll be respectable big league pitchers.  

Odds are against these guys.  They're just not that impressive on practically every level.  Elias can call them out all he wants, that's fine.  I'm sure they're putting in the time and effort, too, but you can't squeeze blood from a rock which is what it must be like to coax good pitching out of guys like this.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Elias bears some responsibility here, but he's not the one out there throwing the pitches.  It's also ignorant to think that he's able to wave a magic wand over guys that have middling stuff like Akin, Kremer, Lowther, A Wells, Zimmerman and they'll be respectable big league pitchers.  

Odds are against these guys.  They're just not that impressive on practically every level.  Elias can call them out all he wants, that's fine.  I'm sure they're putting in the time and effort, too, but you can't squeeze blood from a rock which is what it must be like to coax good pitching out of guys like this.  

In which case you replace them with players that can be respectable big league pitchers.

He's exerted minimal effort to secure pitching.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I see Grayson is not starting today for Norfolk.I guess they have him to pitch the fourth ,fifth game or maybe six man rotation? Maybe even comes in after the starter.We shall see.I know someone said that they would try to keep his innings down at the beginning. 

Why do they have to pitch him 4th or 5th? Sorry, I missed the reasoning for that.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In which case you replace them with players that can be respectable big league pitchers.

He's exerted minimal effort to secure pitching.

Right.  I mean, what Moose said is correct but if you don’t believe in these guys, why are they even in the organization?  Why haven’t you traded them?  Or why aren’t they just in the pen?

At the end of the day, either Elias and his team are failing to develop these guys or they are failing at replacing them.

I don’t see Elias as calling these guys out, more issuing them a challenge.   In other words, he’s not doing it to blame them for some past performance, he’s saying they’ll have to do better to stay relevant.   And that’s pretty much the case.  

As to why they haven’t had more success to date, that’s complex and I’m sure there are things the front office and coaches could have done to help them more.  But at the end of the day, if they don’t perform well, they are going to lose opportunities.  Let’s see who steps up and who stagnates.   I didn’t see a ton of stepping up this spring, but those were microscopic sample sizes, so we’ll see.  

• Upvote 2