Kevin Brown (announcer, not former pitcher)

joelala

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

Pretty nice Lorenzo's Oil reference tonight. Bryan Baker was "Lorenzo's foil" indeed.

I guess some people like that kind of thing.  To me it comes across as trying too hard to be cute, and extremely forced.  Not to mention that to someone who doesn't get the reference, it's just total gibberish.  It's just a way of saying "look how clever I am!".

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I guess some people like that kind of thing.  To me it comes across as trying too hard to be cute, and extremely forced.  Not to mention that to someone who doesn't get the reference, it's just total gibberish.  It's just a way of saying "look how clever I am!".

Oh, no question Brown was waiting the entire game for Lorenzo Cain to strike out or get robbed of a hit so he could use that line. He's trying to be Bob Costas.

I’m convinced Palmer can bounce off of anyone. What’s missing is chemistry. Kevin brown isn’t bad and I like the goofiness, but what sucks is how Gary and Jim just used to talk about horse racing or just bounce off of each other. Hearing the two of them laugh was just wonderful. Kevin is a tier below Gary and I think he’ll grow as an announcer. He doesn’t make me want to turn to the opposing broadcast like Scott Garcaeu did, and at least has some personality. 

• Upvote 2

I don't mind him.  He's relatively new to job and is feeling his way around with developing a style of his own.  There are a lot worse.  He can talk and he has a good rapport with his boothmates.  I don't know how much ball he has played so he doesn't have a lot of experiential knowledge,  but that's what Ben and Jim bring. 

I still like the SF Giants crew in my market.  Kuiper and Krukow have a very easy style and dry humor and they both have great anecdotes during the game.  They also fill slow time with comments about people in the crowd that is entertaining. 

Brown is just learning this job.  He'll get more polished as he does this over the years. 

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

Agreed, 100%. 

Trying to be cute is a great way of putting it.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:04 PM, SteveA said:

The thing is, what I like about him is his voice. If he would cut out the pop culture references and call the game I’d probably enjoy him. But currently, no.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:04 PM, SteveA said:

I don’t mind his stuff, but have to admit, I didn’t get the reference.  

Kevin Brown is the most professional, accurate, and knowledgeable guy we've had in the booth that I can remember. No, he's not Gary Thorne, but he IS more accurate than Thorne. He DOES have a great voice. And, unlike Scott, he actually injects some enthusiasm into plays deserving of it. I definitely understand not enjoying the "cuteness", but I mean... the guy's a legit young talent in the booth and IMO it's great that we have that. The alternatives are depressing. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t mind his stuff, but have to admit, I didn’t get the reference.  

There was a movie called Lorenzo's Oil.   I think it won or was up for an Oscar.    Based on a true story about a kid who had an incredibly rare disease that was so rare there wasn't much funding to research it so his parents, who were both scientists I think, quit their jobs and did research and worked years and came up with a treatment for it on their own.

So when Lorenzo Cain was retired on a nice play by, I think, Mullins, Brown said Mullins was "Lorenzo's Foil".   Which is a play on the title of the movie that 90% of his audience probably doesn't know exist.

It's just comes across as so forced to me, I have to admit, it just reeks of "trying too hard" and bugs me.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

There was a movie called Lorenzo's Oil.   I think it won or was up for an Oscar.    Based on a true story about a kid who had an incredibly rare disease that was so rare there wasn't much funding to research it so his parents, who were both scientists I think, quit their jobs and did research and worked years and came up with a treatment for it on their own.

So when Lorenzo Cain was retired on a nice play by, I think, Mullins, Brown said Mullins was "Lorenzo's Foil".   Which is a play on the title of the movie that 90% of his audience probably doesn't know exist.

It's just comes across as so forced to me, I have to admit, it just reeks of "trying too hard" and bugs me.

Lol yeah...

He's at his best when he's being knowledgeable about the players (including minor league guys) and some of the new stats, and when he's just calling the game normally. 

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I did hear it when he said it, and I think I saw the movie, but if so, that was 30 years ago.  So I sort of understood he was riffing on the movie title, but didn’t understand why.   

Okay, so that’s a little forced, but it doesn’t really bother me in the slightest.   I think he’s very good at having baseball conversations with his color man and providing useful information, and he’s learned to convey that the game is interesting even when the score isn’t close.  If he sprinkles in other stuff from time to time, I’m okay with it.   Jon Miller did too.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:03 AM, Yossarian said:

I don't mind him.  He's relatively new to job and is feeling his way around with developing a style of his own.  There are a lot worse.  He can talk and he has a good rapport with his boothmates.  I don't know how much ball he has played so he doesn't have a lot of experiential knowledge,  but that's what Ben and Jim bring. 

I still like the SF Giants crew in my market.  Kuiper and Krukow have a very easy style and dry humor and they both have great anecdotes during the game.  They also fill slow time with comments about people in the crowd that is entertaining. 

Brown is just learning this job.  He'll get more polished as he does this over the years. 

I agree, I think he's figuring it out and it'll take some time for him to come into his own. Thorne is a pretty tough act to follow.