Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

8 hours ago, deward said:

On 9/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, Ridgway22 said:

As someone who is a Mountcastle fan and really wants him to succeed in Orange and Black, I'm getting increasingly frustrated watching his At Bats, especially now with AR, then Ryan afterwards. It's like the two extremes of plate discipline, and really highlights RM's weakness. (Trade RM for pitching?)

The idea of having Westburg dedicate himself to 1B, Ortiz at 2B, Keep Mateo, and Gunnar at 3B, could give us a defensive infield that every sinkerball pitcher in the league would drool over. At very low cost for a couple years (freeing money for pitching?). 

And while I have zero evidence to back this point up, I believe banning the shift will benefit the classic, rangy middle infielders, of which Mateo and Ortiz are.

To all of which, I do have to say being able to talk about these "problems" is a breath of fresh air in the O's Kingdom.

Sign some front line pitching this offseason, and for the rest of the current staff, "Let the Hunger Games Begin!"

I wonder if Westburg has significantly better plate discipline than Mounty? Sometimes OBP in the minors does not tell the full story.

For me, the biggest issue with Mounty is the inability to take a walk.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

It’s borderline insulting that Westburg continues to be in Norfolk. Especially with Aguilar being added to the team. 

I’m sure they are communicating and Westburg is up to date on his personal plan.  He’s not on the 40, he is squarely cemented in their future plans, he will be playing Major League Baseball next year (somewhere) and by all resorts he’s a plus make up guy that won’t be insulted by the business side of the operation.  His time will come.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was just musing about the “pipeline” of middle infielders Elias inherited compared to what we have now.  It’s embarrassing to even discuss.   Here are the MiL players who played at least 100 innings at 2B or SS in 2018:

Norfolk: Ruben Tejada, Breyvic Valera, Starlin Schoop, Adrian Marin, Luis Sardinas.

Bowie: Corban Joseph, Rylan Bannon. Anderson Feliz, Erick Salcedo

Frederick: Preston Palneiro, Alexandro Juvier, Chris Clare

Delmarva: Kirvin Moesquit. Branden Becker, Mason McCoy, Cadyn Grenier

Aberdeen: Alexis Torres, Milton Ramos, Adam Hall

Pathetic.

It’s crazy!  Compared to….

Balt: Mateo, Gunnar, Urias, Vavra

Nor: Westburg, Ortiz, Norby

Bow: Hernaiz, Prieto

Abr: Bencosme, (Burns is holding his own)

Del: Holiday, Young

FCL & DSL have some intriguing players. 

Besides a tiny blip in Aberdeen there are legit prospects battling for opportunities at every level of the system.  

Westburg. First time up. Fly ball to RF.  2nd time up. Fly ball to RF.   3rd time up.   About a 400 ft. homer to RCF on middle to middle in fastball.

Ortiz. 1st time up. Fly ball to RF. Later in game.  Sac fly to warning track in deep RCF.

Norby.  Might have as many homers to RF as LF.  Lots of hits to RF.   

These are RH hitters who are ready to hit in OPACY and in any other park for that matter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I’m sure they are communicating and Westburg is up to date on his personal plan.  He’s not on the 40, he is squarely cemented in their future plans, he will be playing Major League Baseball next year (somewhere) and by all resorts he’s a plus make up guy that won’t be insulted by the business side of the operation.  His time will come.  

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to use a 40-man roster spot on Westburg all winter since he doesn't need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft this year. If he makes the team out of spring training, and I think he should be given every opportunity to do so, he can take Means' 40-man roster spot when Means is transferred to the 60-day IL at the end of spring training.

The Aguilar situation seems to be solely related to not having any other backup first-baseman in the pipeline and evidently thinking he is better than Tyler Nevin which is debatable but ultimately insignificant. The backup first-baseman situation will hopefully resolve itself next spring as I expect Stowers, Santander, and perhaps Westburg, Gunnar and Urias to get reps at first base in spring training.

• Upvote 1

Steve Melewski interviewed Gunnar Henderson about Westburg:

“No matter what the day is, he’s going to come in and do his work. He stays consistent and just to be able to watch him every day and play beside him has been really fun. To be able to see him do all this and have all the success that he’s had is great," Henderson said. 

“If they miss location in, he’ll turn on it, and if they go away with it, he’s really worked on driving those pitches, too. It’s been awesome to see him develop that approach and be able to execute it. You never have to worry that he will not give his best effort every day. He will," Henderson said. 

What will be his best future position?

“I feel like it just depends where they want him. Seen him play second, third and short well. Just wherever they want and he’ll do great there,” said Henderson. 

Henderson said Westburg is so driven because he loves the game so much, and he credits him, a player two years older, with helping him learn some important things during their time together.

“For me, he had the college experience so just like learning all the smaller routines and the fundamental side of baseball. He showed what to expect and how to go about things," Henderson said. 

“He’s ready. Whenever he gets the call, he’ll be more than ready,” he said.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I wonder if he gets the call now with Urias looking to be done for the year. 

Given that he does not have to be put on the 40-man roster this winter to protect him from the Rule 5 draft, I would be extremely surprised if he gets the call. 

Joey Ortiz does have to be added in December, so he is much more likely to be called up for the last week of the season.

Given that Mateo and Henderson are both perfectly capable at shortstop, I doubt either is called up and if Urias were to go on the IL we would see someone like Tyler Nevin instead.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Given that he does not have to be put on the 40-man roster this winter to protect him from the Rule 5 draft, I would be extremely surprised if he gets the call. 

Joey Ortiz does have to be added in December, so he is much more likely to be called up for the last week of the season.

Given that Mateo and Henderson are both perfectly capable at shortstop, I doubt either is called up and if Urias were to go on the IL we would see someone like Tyler Nevin instead.

You're probably right, but it would be awesome if they gave Ortiz 2B for the next week.

• Upvote 1

I feel like Westburg is the most likely prospect to get traded. He has a ton of value but seems a bit redundant. Ortiz is the better defensive SS, Gunnar looks to be the better offensive player. SS is Westburg's best defensive position. Do you name him the Brooks Robinson Award winner only to trade him over the winter? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he might be headlining a package for a pitcher.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I feel like Westburg is the most likely prospect to get traded. He has a ton of value but seems a bit redundant. Ortiz is the better defensive SS, Gunnar looks to be the better offensive player. SS is Westburg's best defensive position. Do you name him the Brooks Robinson Award winner only to trade him over the winter? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he might be headlining a package for a pitcher.

I have the felt the same way for a while. Ortiz seemed to edge ahead of him with his defense and how hot he was the second half of the year.