The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

He also signed a 10 year 250M dollar contract before this prior contract. That was ARod money, so I guess if a Tex deal approaches that, it could be considered ARod money. Now ARod obviously is a far superior player, and at the time was playing a premium position, not 1B. If Tex gets 25M a year over 10 years, I'd consider that "getting very close" ARod's salary.
$25M over 10 years would be about 80% of ARod money. If you wanna call that very close, then fine, but I wouldn't really consider it very close. If you are considering his previous contract, that was signed 8 years ago, $25M a year 8 years ago is a lot more than $25M a year now.

Also, I don't think he gets that much. If he gets over $22M a year it will be for less than 10 years. I'm hoping something like 8/$184M gets it done.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$25M over 10 years would be about 80% of ARod money. If you wanna call that very close, then fine, but I wouldn't really consider it very close.

Also, I don't think he gets that much. If he gets over $22M a year it will be for less than 10 years. I'm hoping something like 8/$184M gets it done.

I am hoping for 8/184 as well. The one thing that stands out to me is, ARod was making that type of money from the SS position when he signed that deal. I think its a little harder to find a 147 OPS+ SS, than a 134 OPS+ 1B man. The dollar amounts are just too close, IMO, considering their production.

With Boston's offer out there, and LA saying they've done what they can, there's no reason for this to go on much longer. I can see Tex deciding today and announcing this evening or tomorrow.

He's probably anxious for this to get done, so he knows how much he has to spend on his wife's Christmas present.

Oh boy....Page 128 is a great page...I think we may be on it now! If we can get Tex today and PSU can pick up Kevin Newsome (Dont know if there are any PSU fans out there) this may be my best sports tuesday in a long time!

Sorry Nitty Lion, I think the Hokies are going to sign Newsome today :)

Hopefully for us it doesnt get higher than 25 mil a year

I think if we go that high my excitement will be toned down a good bit. This isn't just about one guy. There are 24 other guys to worry about and two of them are watching closely to see how much the O's value position players. I'm hoping that we don't go over $22 million annually.

Finally some national media love from Ravech...looks like we may see him in an Oriole uniform after all...

http://blogs.weei.com/alexspeier/2008/12/16/report-teixeira-anticipates-22-28-millionyear/

One response had a typo saying he'd sign with the Red Sox for 8 tears. There'll be a lot more than 8 tears around here if he does.

But this is the first non-Orioles mention of us that I've seen. Good news.

Archived