Baltimore Sun beat writers also not traveling with team to Oakland

Going Underground

Noticed that the Baltimore Sun used an AP report on the Orioles game in Oakland yesterday.So neither of their two beat writers are in Oakland. So no Sun reporters,no TV or  radio announcers and no Dan Connolly or Rich Dubroff. Someone said no Roch either but someone said Steve Mielewski is in Oakland. That is some local press core traveling with the team. Kind of embarrassing really.

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Noticed that the Baltimore Sun used an AP report on the Orioles game in Oakland yesterday.So neither of their two beat writers are in Oakland. So no Sun reporters,no TV or  radio announcers and no Dan Connolly or Rich Dubroff. Someone said no Roch either but someone said Steve Mielewski is in Oakland. That is some local press core traveling with the team. Kind of embarrassing really.

Melewski is on the West Coast right now.  Roch says he will join the team in New York for whatever that is worth.

4 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

I don't know how the Baltimore Sun stays in business. They had so many layoffs and their subscriber base is way down too. Online subscriptions can't make that much money, so I understand why they might make concessions.

Angelos however, has more than enough money to send an announcing crew to follow the team. The cost over the course of a season to send guys on the road, put them up in hotels, and pay for food can't be more than a couple million dollars a year. That would make a lot of us happier, and ticking off an already small fanbase isn't a good idea. I despise having to listen to the B-crew on audio when I can't even stream the Orioles in Southern Maryland without being blacked out of the video feed. Sign one less Jordan Lyles and you pay for a few years of good audio. It's indefensible. 

No pro sports team should force their broadcasters to do remote play-by-play.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

I don't know how the Baltimore Sun stays in business. They had so many layoffs and their subscriber base is way down too. Online subscriptions can't make that much money, so I understand why they might make concessions.

Angelos however, has more than enough money to send an announcing crew to follow the team. The cost over the course of a season to send guys on the road, put them up in hotels, and pay for food can't be more than a couple million dollars a year. That would make a lot of us happier, and ticking off an already small fanbase isn't a good idea. I despise having to listen to the B-crew on audio when I can't even stream the Orioles in Southern Maryland without being blacked out of the video feed. Sign one less Jordan Lyles and you pay for a few years of good audio. It's indefensible. 

But most of the announcers are not from Baltimore, except for two I think.So don't they still have to fly them to Baltimore and put them up at hotels. Granted not flying to each city but still have to get them to Baltimore. 

This is clearly hyperbolic, but it seems like it's similar to an abusive relationship in some ways. The owners know we aren't going to stop being fans because of these sorts of things, so who cares if we don't like it. I'm upset, but I'm still going to games, listening to the audio when I can, and I still buy Orioles gear. I think they are banking on none of us being THAT upset about these sorts of things to leave Orioles fandom forever. Business owners exist to make money, so maybe there's someone out there that calculated that it will cost them less in lost fan revenue than it will to pay for the travel expenses. 

Of course, judging by the way they've handled the roster so far this year I'm probably giving the front office way too much credit!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, O-The-Memories said:

This is clearly hyperbolic, but it seems like it's similar to an abusive relationship in some ways. The owners know we aren't going to stop being fans because of these sorts of things, so who cares if we don't like it. I'm upset, but I'm still going to games, listening to the audio when I can, and I still buy Orioles gear. I think they are banking on none of us being THAT upset about these sorts of things to leave Orioles fandom forever. Business owners exist to make money, so maybe there's someone out there that calculated that it will cost them less in lost fan revenue than it will to pay for the travel expenses. 

Of course, judging by the way they've handled the roster so far this year I'm probably giving the front office way too much credit!

They've been taking the fan base (what's left of it) for granted for the past four years. Whether or not that's a calculated move, or just a combination of arrogance and incompetence, I couldn't say.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, deward said:

They've been taking the fan base (what's left of it) for granted for the past four years. Whether or not that's a calculated move, or just a combination of arrogance and incompetence, I couldn't say.

With the way the system is set up they don't need fans if they keep payroll low.

I think it's stupid that they're pennypinching so hard at MASN that they can't send a broadcast team.  I could not care less that a newspaper isn't able to send their reporters.

I mean, there's nothing ultra important that they can report on any better traveling with the team.  What are we looking for?  At this point in the season it's who's being called up/sent down and they don't need to be in Oakland to relay that news.  Later in the season it's trade rumors and they don't need to be on the road for that, either.

Fluff pieces/interviews with players and coaches can be arranged through the team and agents and can be performed remotely.  Postgame interviews/comments are usually fluff and riddled with cliches and don't really need to be covered in person, either.

1 hour ago, O-The-Memories said:

The owners of the Baltimore Sun?

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The owners of the Baltimore Sun?

Peter Angelos and his sons who seem to be handling a lot of the business nowadays. There's probably minority owners involved too but I don't know who still has a financial stake in the team anymore. 

If he wanted to have reporters on Orioles payroll covering games he could easily do it. MASN sucks too, but that's a different story.