Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You don't need me to answer do you?

Haha well I was just curious because I haven't heard as much clamoring. I suspect that's because Gunnar is much younger, mostly, so the urgency isn't as strong. And he wasn't thought to have as advanced skills as Adley. 

But yeah, I would get behind that movement. I'm impatient for both he and Westburg to get up here mostly because Adley is already here now. The seal has been broken, let's do this thing. 

The 2012/2022 Manny/Gunnar compare for me is settling like this.

Ten years ago, the player's play did not demand it but the Club's situation needed it.   This decade the reverse.

Anything between 120 and 320 PA this summer seems like a clear benefit to the performance of the not hopeless 2023 Orioles.

There's also Best 15 Guys emotions to treat well, and are the deltas in 2022-2029 Gunnar projected earnings worth more than starting to irk the MLB core guys who might want to knock some Red Sox-Blue Jays out of playoff position in September?    Every player is a stock in a portfolio.

• Upvote 1

I do not think Gunnar should be up right now.   But he’s making it harder and harder to keep him down.  I do think it will benefit both him and the team if he gets some significant major league time this year.   I’ll start clamoring at the end of July if everything is still going the way it is now.   Same for Westburg.  

For the record, I’m not clamoring right now, but if the O’s did call up Henderson and/or Westburg before the end of July, I wouldn’t complain about it, either.  I’d be excited to see them.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I do not think Gunnar should be up right now.   But he’s making it harder and harder to keep him down.  I do think it will benefit both him and the team if he gets some significant major league time this year.   I’ll start clamoring at the end of July if everything is still going the way it is now.   Same for Westburg.  

For the record, I’m not clamoring right now, but if the O’s did call up Henderson and/or Westburg before the end of July, I wouldn’t complain about it, either.  I’d be excited to see them.   

But wouldn't it make more sense to promote him a month or so into next season?  Get that extra year of team control.....

the-ring-guru.gif

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But wouldn't it make more sense to promote him a month or so into next season?  Get that extra year of team control.....

the-ring-guru.gif

Might need to go two months if you don't want him as 2023 RoY.

First year of new CBA, Game Theory in action.    Adley delayed by 40 games might get in 2022 RoY mix, so might 2023 Gunnar.

Call up Gunnar Friday in Minnesota - here's a plane ticket for your birthday.    He gets 350 PA, isn't Top 2 RoY in year of Pena-Julio-Adley, and club controls him through 2028.

Irritate Adley and his Supporting Cast another ~125 MLB games by delaying him from ~Game 75 of 2022 to ~Game 40 of 2023, earns Top2 RoY because he is the Julio-Adley of next year, and club controls him through 2028.   Also no draft pick if he isn't on OD roster.

Here is a real-life test case if a concession the MLBPA won in hopes of improving the game's "competitive integrity" works as aspired to for a future high-earner.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

the-ring-guru.gif

I feel like this team can contend next year, so having him get his feet wet this year and be ready from day one next year is beneficial to the club.  I might feel differently if next year was not a year in which contending seemed realistic.  

Here’s a question: let’s say Gunnar is called up in late August and doesn’t get enough service time or at bats to lose rookie status.   If he’s on the team all next year and finishes in the top 3 for ROY, do we get the extra draft pick?   Or does that only apply to players who debut on Opening Day, not late in the prior season?   I’m guessing he would qualify for draft pick compensation in that scenario, and if so, you might not see him up before mid-August no matter what he does over the next month.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like this team can contend next year, so having him get his feet wet this year and be ready from day one next year is beneficial to the club.  I might feel differently if next year was not a year in which contending seemed realistic.  

Here’s a question: let’s say Gunnar is called up in late August and doesn’t get enough service time or at bats to lose rookie status.   If he’s on the team all next year and finishes in the top 3 for ROY, do we get the extra draft pick?   Or does that only apply to players who debut on Opening Day, not late in the prior season?   I’m guessing he would qualify for draft pick compensation in that scenario, and if so, you might not see him up before mid-August no matter what he does over the next month.  

Can you imagine saying this like 2 months ago? 

Crazy town.

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Can you imagine saying this like 2 months ago? 

Crazy town.

Well, I hoped that would be the case, but I sure feel more strongly about it now.  Could I change my mind again if the team starts to flounder?  Maybe, but I think enough building blocks will be in place to construct a team around them that has a chance to contend.  To be clear, it will require an active winter to upgrade the pitching and shore up 1-2 spots in the lineup.   And part of the reason to get these guys up is to see how ready they are to help.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I hoped that would be the case, but I sure feel more strongly about it now.  Could I change my mind again if the team starts to flounder?  Maybe, but I think enough building blocks will be in place to construct a team around them that has a chance to contend.  To be clear, it will require an active winter to upgrade the pitching and shore up 1-2 spots in the lineup.   And part of the reason to get these guys up is to see how ready they are to help.  

I don't know how many more boxes need to be checked for all of Stowers, Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra.  Vavra needs to be healthy.  Stowers needs a spot.  It's a hard argument to make that these guys aren't ready other than service clock time.  Service clock wise we're looking at 87 remaining games this year versus 130ish next year.  That's all of 43, 50 games.  The team is competing right now.  The next home stand is time to call them up except for Stowers.  Let's see what we have for a month before the deadline.  I'm not holding our future back because Mateo, and Odor, go to reserve roles.  

It's time for Elias to flip the switch.