Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

Mateo has been enormously easy to pull for this year. The defense has been a surprise due to how consistent he has been. Love the range and the arm but he has made the vast majority of the routine plays and a good number of outstanding ones as well. I think this was exactly what the O's leadership wanted from him and he delivered. I think his value may increase with the new no shift rules as he has very good range and a gun for an arm.

I believe he has the athletic talent to take the next step offensively. I do not think he turns into a middle of the order hitter but I think he could get on base a bit more and with his speed be a significant threat at the end of the batting order.

To me he is the starting SS next year. It's his job to lose. I hope he steps up and takes full advantage.

23 hours ago, wildcard said:

Too early to know about his offense.  I want to see what he does the rest of the season.

What do you think you are going to learn from the remaining 23 games that you didn’t learn in the first 139?  Obviously he could finish up or down from here, but it won’t change anything fundamental that we know.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What do you think you are going to learn from the remaining 23 games that you didn’t learn in the first 139?  Obviously he could finish up or down from here, but it won’t change anything fundamental that we know.  

Mateo has a 767 OPS in the 2nd half.  He has momentum and if he keeps that up he is a starting SS.   But if he goes 0 for the rest of season he may not be  a starter.  Especially with Gunnar and Ortiz challenging him at SS.

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mateo has a 767 OPS in the 2nd half.  He has momentum and if he keeps that up he is a starting SS.   But if he goes 0 for the rest of season he may not be  a starter.  Especially with Gunnar and Ortiz challenging him at SS.

.406 OPS over the last 14 games for Mateo.  He’s established that he can hit very well when he’s hot, and be pretty worthless when he’s not.  Honestly I think that’s his profile going into 2023 regardless of which chair he happens to be standing next to when the music stops in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

.406 OPS over the last 14 games for Mateo.  He’s established that he can hit very well when he’s hot, and be pretty worthless when he’s not.  Honestly I think that’s his profile going into 2023 regardless of which chair he happens to be standing next to when the music stops in 2022.

Well you think but I want to know before I conclude anything.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So the guy has a grand total of 644 major league at bats and you are labeling him as "he is what he is?" This is his first full season as a regular. He was a good minor league player who didn't get a chance in the Padres system due to a numbers crunch. 

Now I am willing to admit that he is not likely to be a 5-6 WAR player moving forward. But why are you so certain that he is unlikely to improve offensively? The kids quite an athlete.

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So the guy has a grand total of 644 major league at bats and you are labeling him as "he is what he is?" This is his first full season as a regular. He was a good minor league player who didn't get a chance in the Padres system due to a numbers crunch. 

Now I am willing to admit that he is not likely to be a 5-6 WAR player moving forward. But why are you so certain that he is unlikely to improve offensively? The kids quite an athlete.

I think I’m saying the opposite of that.  I’m saying whatever conclusions you have so far from the 2022 season aren’t going to change due to whatever he does in the final 23 games.  I’m not saying 2022 establishes what he’ll be for the rest of his career.  

• Upvote 1

I’ll say it.  Mateo is a flawed hitter who makes poor swing decisions and wants to be a pull hitter.  He can certainly be a starting ML SS but he’s never going to be a “good” hitter.  He’s exciting and it’s not like we can’t win with him at SS but we also don’t need him to win.  The strength of the organization is infielders.  Henderson is here.  Westburg and Ortiz are ready.  Norby should be ready next year.   We need to see what we can get for Mateo and/Urías this winter.  It’s unlikely they replace the whole IF so it’s likely that at least one stays.

• Upvote 1

The O's need a different hitting philosophy.   We watch Toronto, Tampa, Seattle, and even Cleveland string hit after hit together to create big scoring innings.  Meanwhile the O's swing for the fences.   Mateo is just part of that.  He has improved in the 2nd half but seems to be going back to his 1st half hitting approach.  

its a team wide hitting problem that Elias has to fix this off season.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll say it.  Mateo is a flawed hitter who makes poor swing decisions and wants to be a pull hitter.  He can certainly be a starting ML SS but he’s never going to be a “good” hitter.  He’s exciting and it’s not like we can’t win with him at SS but we also don’t need him to win.  The strength of the organization is infielders.  Henderson is here.  Westburg and Ortiz are ready.  Norby should be ready next year.   We need to see what we can get for Mateo and/Urías this winter.  It’s unlikely they replace the whole IF so it’s likely that at least one stays.

IMO, you can say the same thing about Hays, occasionally the ball hits the bat. As far Mateo goes, I believe he should be dealt. I am not a big fan of moving people around in key positions. Also, I am not a fan of McKenna...a fourth or fifth OF'er, with speed, that can't lay down a bunt...adios.

3 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

IMO, you can say the same thing about Hays, occasionally the ball hits the bat. As far Mateo goes, I believe he should be dealt. I am not a big fan of moving people around in key positions. Also, I am not a fan of McKenna...a fourth or fifth OF'er, with speed, that can't lay down a bunt...adios.

The bunt is a terrible play because most players can’t do it successfully more than 50% of the time.  I don’t think McKenna is good but he’s only the 4th OF.   Hays has looked terrible in the 2nd half but I’d give him another chance while Stowers gains traction and Cowser gets ready.