2022 Ongoing Lineup Thread

OsFanSinceThe80s

7 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

You convinced me.  I looked a little closer at the numbers and I agree that Nevin should be in the starting lineup tonight given the make-up of the active roster.  It’s really a question of Mullins or Nevin.  Given Mullins’s significant struggles against lefties this year and Kikuchi’s splits it makes sense.  With that said, Nevin should probably be replaced as soon as Kukuchis is removed.  Also, it highlights the lack of hitting depth this team has since Mancini was traded (and there wasn’t much depth before the trade). 

That is fair but how many teams have 9 RH hitters better than Nevin? I'd be curious to look at some of the starting lineups that guy has faces.

I think they’re giving Nevin one last shot to show them something before he gets DFA’d in the next week or ten days. Have him start some games against LH and if he can’t produce offensively (he has next to no defensive value) then he’ll essentially be DFAing himself. 

14 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I think they’re giving Nevin one last shot to show them something before he gets DFA’d in the next week or ten days. Have him start some games against LH and if he can’t produce offensively (he has next to no defensive value) then he’ll essentially be DFAing himself. 

So if he goes 3/8 in his next two starts against LHP we should overlook the rest of his crap season because one more chance?

40 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That is fair but how many teams have 9 RH hitters better than Nevin? I'd be curious to look at some of the starting lineups that guy has faces.

Good point.  However, I do not think its a question of having 9 RH hitters. Rather, it’s the hitters the O’s have who are not in the lineup, other than Mullins, are really poor regardless of the L/R matchup.  It’s a choice of Nevin or any of the following: Odor,  Chirinos, Phillips, or Mullins.  Mullins struggles against LHP have been discussed above.  Phillips is even worse against LHP.  Odor has actually hit LHP and RHP about equally this year and for his career, but that really means he’s been equally bad against both.   Chirinos could have got the start, with Adley DH’ing.  Chirinos has a career OPS over .800 v. LHP and is at .646 for the season.  Those are Hyde’s options, and they are not great.  And that’s how the O’s end up starting a DH batting 9th with a .571 OPS. 

With that said, I hope Nevin hits three homers tonight.  Go O’s!

Edited by jdwilde1
Grammar error

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

So if he goes 3/8 in his next two starts against LHP we should overlook the rest of his crap season because one more chance?

What the Orioles should do is make decisions based on what benefits the organization in the long run. I’m sure if we had a RH bat at Norfolk who they knew for a fact was better than Nevin he’d be gone already. But right now there isn’t an obvious alternative, or it’s so close as to be a toss up. So they’re giving Nevin a handful more games to produce or hit the road. Not saying it’s what I’d do, but it looks like that’s what they’re doing. 

6 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I agree. Don’t normally moan about these but leading off McKenna is inexplicable. And don’t quote me his OPS against lefties. That’s a fine reason to play him in some of these games, but not to lead him off. 

Care to revisit this?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I would absolutely expect Stowers to start over Nevin, even against a lefty. His splits are not bad. 

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

Against a lefty with Kikuchi's splits, which are 200 points different vs LH than RH for his career?   

I don't agree.

Two opposing points:

- I generally believe that the platoon effect is real, is almost universal, and anyone who has a reverse split (i.e. a lefty who hits lefties better) is just seeing an anomaly and will probably revert to a typical ~.100 points better against opposite-handed pitching.

- Kyle Stowers has absolutely crushed lefties over the past two seasons

So... I don't know.  I'd probably not target him as a platoon player, or try to sit against tough lefties. Especially if the platoon partner is someone like Nevin, who is currently sporting a Lenn Sakata-like career OPS+ of 76.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Care to revisit this?

I still would have led off Mateo over McKenna but I’m glad it worked out.  Good game by Ryan but that first double was lucky twice, first on the bloop and then he should have been easily thrown out at 2nd. 

But hey good game and I’m glad they won. Hopefully they can foil Manoah just enough for the 2nd start in a row tonight. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Don’t know what Mateo has to do to get moved up in the lineup. Right now he’s arguably the best all around offensive player on the team, and yet Hyde can’t seem to picture him anywhere but at the bottom of the order. 

I like Mateo batting 9th.  That way the 2nd time thru the lineup, he can be considered a leadoff hitter.  Imo, he's always going to struggle w/ OBP.  Having Mateo and Mullins on base back to back has to drive pitchers crazy.