Time to DFA Paul Fry?

Aristotelian

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He has completely fallen apart since the spider tack ban.

Not really. The ban started on June 21st and in his 15 games after the ban he pitched to a 3.45 ERA dur to a couple bad outings but held batters to a .161/.266/.161/.426 over 15.1 IP.

The slide started on Aug 4th until the 29th when he pitched to a 27.00 ERA over 10 games covering just 5.2 IP. He allowed 11 hits and 15 walks and batter put up a .407/.619/.815/1.434 slash line. It appears he basically came up with "Steve Blass" disease where he just lost the ability to throws strikes. 

I was very surprised when they offered him a contract because I didn't see him a guy you protect on the 40-man and he wasn't worth an arbitration raise. 

But hey, I don't have  fancy computer program or degree from Yale so my opinion doesn't count! :D

There is one move in the next few hours to make room for Bradish.  And two that will coming off the 28 man roster when it is reduced to 26 in four days.  

I think Lakins is optioned today.

On Tuesday I think Owings  will be DFA'd and one of Fry or Baumann will be optioned. It could be that both pitchers are optioned and Vespi is promoted to be the 2nd lefty in the pen.

The only player that will be put on waivers is Owings.  The other three can stay in the organization and work out their problems at AAA.  Vespi would take Owings 40 man roster spot if the O's feel he is ready for the majors.

• Upvote 1

The Tack probably played a small role in things but it isn't as if we haven't seen scores of relievers go from pretty decent to dumpster fire overnight.

It isn't as if Fry was ever a highly regarded guy with phenomenal stuff.

He could just as suddenly have a stretch where he's pretty good again, probably just as soon as he ends up on the roster of some other team.

29 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

You're not kidding. 

I don't think we need to call in Holmes and Watson to solve this mystery. 

Were I in charge, I wouldn't be re-signing pitchers who fell off of a cliff ten minutes after a strict foreign substance check-and-ban went into effect, but then again, I don't work for the Baltimore Orioles either  🤷‍♂️ 

Well, there is the mystery of why he pitched so well from July 17 to August 2: 8.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 13 K’s over 8 appearances.   It seemed he’d gotten over the spider-tack ban after a few rocky weeks, but then he fell a party again.  So what was he doing right in these 8 games?

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

My guess is Travis Lakins Sr will be optioned to make room for Bradish.

Elias would have to be ready to call up someone  from the minors who is not of the 40 man roster to DFA Fry.  And Stowers and Grayson are probably several weeks away from a call up.

Currently Perez and Akin are lefty relievers with Fry.   I guess at some point they could call up Vespi to take Fry's place.  Lowther has pitched so poorly I don't expect to see him in the majors until he pitches well in the minors for a while.

Lowther lit up again tonight. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

There is one move in the next few hours to make room for Bradish.  And two that will coming off the 28 man roster when it is reduced to 26 in four days.  

I think Lakins is optioned today.

On Tuesday I think Owings  will be DFA'd and one of Fry or Baumann will be optioned. It could be that both pitchers are optioned and Vespi is promoted to be the 2nd lefty in the pen.

The only player that will be put on waivers is Owings.  The other three can stay in the organization and work out their problems at AAA.  Vespi would take Owings 40 man roster spot if the O's feel he is ready for the majors.

Owings & Odor please