Richie Martin could be promoted any day now

wildcard

I don’t where Martin offers anything. At least Odor is a LH bat. I’d ride it out with Urias who has actually hit at this level. Heck, even Cano is a better option than Martin. 

I think it’s best to just ride out what we have from now and see if they can improve on their early season struggles. The only legit option to improve 2B/3B would be to call up Gunnar for 3B. The other options are just rotating 4A guys. 

Yea, I don't feel the need to "find out".  He has no upside and no future.  There isn't much difference between him being there or Owings being there.  Neither has any chance of being a long term piece and neither is young.

I would rather just say F it and give the job to Gunnar and lets see how he does.  

12 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

You move Martin up mainly to give Henderson a promotion to AAA.  Release Owings.  

I don't think moving Martin up or not would impact Henderson. Henderson will get promoted to AAA when Elias feels he's ready and will start at SS until they decide he's not suited for that position and move him full time to 3B, Britton will just have to move Martin around, but Henderson is the priority and should be promoted on his schedule regardless of who is in Norfolk. 

That said, I'm still on board with any plan that includes "release Owings" so I'm in with this one. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Adley is a switch hitter.   He will add to the offensive balance.

Right but that just gets us back to status quo, which is pretty RH heavy. We could also lose Santander at any moment. Martin may have elevated himself to be the next man up if there is an injury but I don't really see him taking anyone's job.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I don't feel the need to "find out".  He has no upside and no future.  There isn't much difference between him being there or Owings being there.  Neither has any chance of being a long term piece and neither is young.

I would rather just say F it and give the job to Gunnar and lets see how he does.  

Martin is 3 years younger than Owings. I'm not an advocate of promoting Martin to be the full time 2B. I want Urias at 2B and Nevin at 3B most of the time, but I would be in favor of promoting Martin to take Owings' place. I agree that neither are likely a real future piece, but I think there is a non-zero chance for Martin to be a useful utility infielder. He's not an everyday player so I don't feel the need to see him getting everyday ABs, but I wouldn't mind putting him in the utility role over Owings and seeing if he can be useful. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Martin is 3 years younger than Owings. I'm not an advocate of promoting Martin to be the full time 2B. I want Urias at 2B and Nevin at 3B most of the time, but I would be in favor of promoting Martin to take Owings' place. I agree that neither are likely a real future piece, but I think there is a non-zero chance for Martin to be a useful utility infielder. He's not an everyday player so I don't feel the need to see him getting everyday ABs, but I wouldn't mind putting him in the utility role over Owings and seeing if he can be useful. 

The useful UTI player on this team is Mateo...with Vavra being next in line.

There is nothing useful about Martin.  He can't hit and his fielding is just ok.

Owings shouldn't be here but he at least has 3 ML seasons of 300+ at bats with an OPS over 700.  Martin will never have that.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Martin isn't holding up a promotion for Henderson.

No Martin is not “holding up” a promotion for Henderson and neither will Mateo when that time comes.   Just saying might as well release Owings and let Martin fill that role.

In his ML career, which is over 400 PA, Martin has a slash line of 215/262/312/575. His career MiL OPS is 710 and that is with him repeating levels multiple times and being too old for a lot of the leagues he has been in.

His OAA is -7.  UZR and UZR/150 also has him below average.

His career fWAR is -1.5.

Why does he deserve a chance again?

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In his ML career, which is over 400 PA, Martin has a slash line of 215/262/312/575. His career MiL OPS is 710 and that is with him repeating levels multiple times and being too old for a lot of the leagues he has been in.

His OAA is -7.  UZR and UZR/150 also has him below average.

His career fWAR is -1.5.

Why does he deserve a chance again?

Because throughout the spring, and in AAA this year... he seems to have shown a departure from his historic lackluster performance with the bat.

Is it real?  Who knows.

But Owings is not exactly a great price to pay to find out...

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

Because throughout the spring, and in AAA this year... he seems to have shown a departure from his historic lackluster performance with the bat.

Is it real?  Who knows.

But Owings is not exactly a great price to pay to find out...

He had an 807 OPS over the course of a full season in AA...how did that end up working out?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin is on a streak.  In 9 games in May he is hitting 409/480/545/1025.    He is now hitting 282/351/447/798 for the season at AAA.    The O's need better production at 2B and Richie is making a point.   He wants to provide it.

Martin was 20th pick in the first round for the A's in 2015.   He was acquired in the 2018 Rule 5 draft by the O's.   He played all of 2019 in the majors with the O's but his was not ready for the jump from AA to the majors and did not hit well.

He broke one wrist in 2020, another in 2021 with both hamate bones being removed.  Then he ran with a wall playing the outfield and broke his wrist again.   Richie has no more hamate bone to break and he is healthy.

In 2018, the last time he was rated as a prospect,  he had a 60 arm, 60 field, 55 run rating.  His hitting was what needed improvement.  Well, now at 27 year old he is making a point that he can hit and wants a promotion.

He has 85 at bats so far.   Tyler Nevin was promoted after 66 at bats.   The O's have a need at 2B and Martin wants to fill it.  Martin is not on the 40 man roster but there is space.  Let's see what Elias thinks.

Ha, thank you. Long overdue. Owings is awful. Didn’t you say yesterday he wasn’t hot enough though?:) 2 more hits last night. 

I don’t see them making this move because it requires a 40 man move. Martin is an option at AAA if they need to go there. Why make the move now if they don’t have to? Nevin is going to get a look and so will Mateo and Urias. I’m not worried about Owings being the last man on the roster.