Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure we could. I am much more comfortable guessing the numbers as I can assume the Red Sox made a 8/184 offer and were denied. At some point I want the Orioles to bow out of this bidding. I do not want us going any higher than 9/185

I dont want them to bow out, if anything the only way we should get out is if Tex declines our offer. If we jump out before then there will be calls for AM and PA's heads for not trying hard enough. We have a broken fanbase and it's not a good idea to drop out of the bidding on the hometown guy until it's all said and done. With that, the most I'd feel comfortable with us going is 9/190 with an opt out at 5 years which only vests if we dont make the playoffs during those 5 years, but if we do then he cannot use the opt out, and an option for a 10th year.

If he's eliminating teams, and we haven't upped our offer, and money is the #1 factor...

Then how come we haven't been eliminated?

Our "flexible" offer might say to Boras "Once you have a final offer, come back to us and we'll see if we can beat it." Plus for some reason I really get the feeling Tex wants to be an O but he's trying to get them to bring up the offer to match the Angels and Gnats.

Our "flexible" offer might say to Boras "Once you have a final offer, come back to us and we'll see if we can beat it." Plus for some reason I really get the feeling Tex wants to be an O but he's trying to get them to bring up the offer to match the Angels and Gnats.

I think that's been clear all along.

The O's and Nats getting into an all out bidding war could be the worst possible news for whichever team 'wins' the auction. Not only are they both bidding for an extremely good player, they're also bidding to save face against their local rivals. This is a fight both owners might not dare to lose.

If this is how it pans out the only winner here is Tex.

Still....I hope we get him ;)

Yeah, I've read that too on here. Sorry about that, I've had some serious sleep deprivation the last few days so my brain isn't functioning to well rightnow.

I was re-stating myself. We're all a little silly from too much OH. This has been exciting, I must say. I think we may be coming to the end pretty soon here.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be over by tonight!

I was re-stating myself. We're all a little silly from too much OH. This has been exciting, I must say. I think we may be coming to the end pretty soon here.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be over by tonight!

I hope it's over tonight too... I thought it would be funny if on ESPN News last night the breaking news on the bottom of the screen said "Free Agent 1B Mark Teixeira agrees to a contract with the Baltimore Orioles" directly after the news blurb that said "Red Sox are attempting to finalize a contract with 1B Mark Teixeira".

So I thought quite a lot last evening about John Henry's odd email. When I first read that he had emailed some of the Boston media to announce they would not be a factor in Teixeira derby, it seemed that they were closing the door.

Then, once I learned he had, in fact, emailed the NATIONAL media, I began to wonder what was up. Also, and this is probably just wishful thinking, I re-read the words. He never said they were out...only that the Sox would likely not be a factor.

Hmmm...

My take is this. If the problem were simply the contract $$$$ the Sox have the means to outbid anyone and would if that's what it came down to. Contract length? They would just up the per year number.

I'm guessing this is about an opt-out clause. The Red Sox will not agree to that and if Boras was insisting on it, they might very well want to make a public declaration to let him know that it is a deal breaker.

Then again, I could be 100% off base. I know one thing, this whole process is eating away at my brain :laughlol:

MacPhail pretty much came out and said that 2 days ago.

Archived