Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

So, because we were last relevant a decade ago, they owe it to us?

I do find it funny that we appear to get more flack than the Pirates, Royals and Rays (before this year). In the draft, we were always around the 4-7 area it seems, so there was always a handful of teams worse than us.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN not 3 days ago had us HIGH in the running!

This is seriously a case of "what have you done for me not only lately but JUST NOW!" syndrome.

Foregoing the rumors we have here, this is what they have to go on:

Reports that Tex was interested in us.

Reports that our offer was lower than everybody else in the running (Sox, Angels, Nats).

Reports that he was meeting with the Sox.

Henry then announcing that after meeting with him and hearing the other offers that they're out of the bidding.

So, going through that logically, if THEY dropped out because of other offers AFTER our last reported offer was lower than the others (reported mind you), why would the national media mention us?

Good points, I never really thought of that.

With all due respect, there's no reason to think we are out of it, either. Just because the media doesn't know our latest offer, doesn't make us out of it. When MacPhail says "we're out", that's when there's "no reason to believe we're in it". Until then, that statement is hyperbole. And truthfully, we don't really know anybody's *actual* offer, and we won't until probably a few days after Tex has signed with someone.

I don't see how any O's fan can't take this latest development as a positive sign.

Yea, no reason to think we are out but at this point, there is no reason to think we are any kind of a real factor either.

I'd laugh if the Red Sox owner flew all the way out to Texas with the assumption that this deal was done, and when he put his final offer onto the table Boras and Tex were like, "Excuse us, we need to discuss this in private." Then, they turn around and call up the O's to see if they could top it, and then turn back around and say, "Eh... your offer is ok... BUT.........."

While no one seems to really know what's going on' date=' one could certainly suggest that the Nationals are persuing Tex much more aggresively than the O's at this point.[/quote']

True. Could also easily suggest that theres absence of news from the Nats camp besides that they do have an offer out there that's competitive enough to not discount them.

Man this board is bipolar.

Perhaps it is down to Angels and Nats, we have yet to hear anything about us raising our offer from the 7/150.

At this point I am happy if he signs with Angels or Nats, obviouslly I would love him to be an Oriole, but at this point I will take anyone but Yanks or Sox.

There has been no evidence that points us to be really in on Tex, we have heard that we offered 7/150 and we have not raised that offer.

Also there has been so many twists and turns with this nightmarem, who is to say that Boston is really out of it.

I do not see how we can completely trust anything we read from anywhere.

Lets hope that Angelos steps in and makes the offer that Tex takes and he signs here, but until he is in front of a podium in a redsox, yankees, angels, nats or orioles hat, we are just running in circles with the news reports we are getting.

While no one seems to really know what's going on' date=' [b']one could certainly suggest [/b]that the Nationals are persuing Tex much more aggresively than the O's at this point.

One "could" certainly do that. For some reason this Boston news has hit me with a "optimism" arrow that I haven't felt in a long, long time. Tex is coming Home, bank on it!

I can give you a bunch of reasons that we could be a real factor.

1. We're still in it.

2. Tex has said he wants to play in Baltimore.

3. Belkast and Sonny's reports.

4. Peter Angelos' bank account.

5. Andy MacPhail's unparalleled negotiating skills.

6. The Red Sox are out of it and the 4 teams that are in all have problems of their own as to why it's a long shot for them to land Tex.

a)Angels - Tex may want to play on the West Coast.

b)Yankees - Last minute addition to the table, already spent so much money.

c)Nationals - Tex would likely pick the O's over the Nats.

I mean, there's plenty of reasons, man.

I'm sorry, but honestly, we really need to take number 2 out of the equation. Sentimentality is nice and all, but lets face it...it means nothing. I told a girl I loved her to get her in the sack. I've told employers I envisioned myself at their company in 5 years to get the job. Etc and so forth on any number of examples of things people saying one thing when they don't really mean it, for personal gain.

I can give you a bunch of reasons that we could be a real factor.

1. We're still in it.

2. Tex has said he wants to play in Baltimore.

b)Yankees - Last minute addition to the table, already spent so much money.

c)Nationals - Tex would likely pick the O's over the Nats.

I mean, there's plenty of reasons, man.

First #1 is not a reason, an opinion.

#2 Why would he say he doesnt want to play here? Of course he is going to say he wants to play here, why would he hurt himself by removing a potential suitor.

If he wants to take the most money there is no reason he would not chose the Nats.

The Yanks may say they have spent too much money, but when has that ever been true. They have been rumored to desire Manny with a 3 yrs 70-75 million dollar deal.

See, what MacPhail is doing works when there isn't an open competition. When a number of teams are actively bidding and showing interest, I don't know if sitting in the background and waiting is such a good idea.

If this were any other GM, and they made a "lowball" offer, and then sat back and waited for the market to establish itself, this place would be going off the wall.

Archived