Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Absolutely.  He has a sound approach and a good eye, but then he is not punishing very hittable mistakes. That’s exactly why I am not concerned yet.  With his track record, sooner or later he is not going to miss the mistakes.  Now, if he starts getting consistently overpowered by good fastballs then I’ll worry.  I’ve said it before, if you can’t handle a major league fastball you can’t hit.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:05 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I am definitely not saying to send him down but honest question: what would it take to get a demotion to Norfolk?

Nobody took a stab at this, what would it take to get a demotion? O for 50? Just asking the question. Certainty not saying he should be demoted. My guess is something VERY severe but not sure what that is honestly. What does everyone think?

8 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Nobody took a stab at this, what would it take to get a demotion? O for 50? Just asking the question. Certainty not saying he should be demoted. My guess is something VERY severe but not sure what that is honestly. What does everyone think?

It would take him looking like he was down on himself to the point it was hurting him.  If his spirits stay up, he will get a long leash.  

3 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

The Giants just sent down Joey Bart after 108 plate appearances of .156/.296/.300/.596.

But they are trying to contend this year, however, so they can't afford that level of production in the lineup.   We aren't.   Also, Adley Rutschman actually has a higher OPS than the guy he replaced, Anthony Bemboom.  So clearly, lack of production at the major league level is not going to be a reason at all to send him down.   We aren't trying to win so the lack doesn't hurt us, and we don't have a replacement who is likely to do any better.

Therefore, the ONLY reason to send him down would be if you feel it would somehow help his development.  He's 24 years old and has nothing left to prove in the minors.   

The only possible rationale for sending him down is if you think that it has gotten in his head so badly that some type of mental reset would be needed that can't happen at the major league level.   Seems very unlikely to me.   Now maybe your hypothetical 0 for 50 might get us there.   Or continuing what he is doing for a really long time, like another month.  But I don't think either of those are likely.

• Upvote 1

The biggest part of hitting a baseball besides excellent hand/eye coordination is confidence at the plate.  The best way for him to get his confidence back is to bat against pitchers he can get a bunch of hits off of.   That is what s/b done.  

3 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

The biggest part of hitting a baseball besides excellent hand/eye coordination is confidence at the plate.  The best way for him to get his confidence back is to bat against pitchers he can get a bunch of hits off of.   That is what s/b done.  

If you want to talk confidence, I'd argue a demotion could be worse for his confidence than a AAA hot streak would be good for it. He already knows he can hit minor league pitching. 

I think a demotion would only happen if he started striking out at alarming rates. His 24.6% K rate and 6.6% BB rate are both worse than we want. But names like Bo Bichette, Randy Arozarena, and Ryan Mountcastle show up right next to him in both those stats. Unless he starts striking out in a way that indicates he's truly overmatched as a big leaguer, he'll stick around and figure out how to start hitting earlier in the count and with more authority. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2022 at 4:41 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Wynns has turned into Ted Williams this year with a .504 OBP and .365 batting average in AAA. 

If Wynns turns into an All Star catcher, you have to live with that.  He had AAAA/subpar MLB backup C written all over him.  Sort of like how Caleb Joseph turned himself into a ML catcher after years at AA. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Giants just sent down Joey Bart after 108 plate appearances of .156/.296/.300/.596.

But they are trying to contend this year, however, so they can't afford that level of production in the lineup.   We aren't.   Also, Adley Rutschman actually has a higher OPS than the guy he replaced, Anthony Bemboom.  So clearly, lack of production at the major league level is not going to be a reason at all to send him down.   We aren't trying to win so the lack doesn't hurt us, and we don't have a replacement who is likely to do any better.

Therefore, the ONLY reason to send him down would be if you feel it would somehow help his development.  He's 24 years old and has nothing left to prove in the minors.   

The only possible rationale for sending him down is if you think that it has gotten in his head so badly that some type of mental reset would be needed that can't happen at the major league level.   Seems very unlikely to me.   Now maybe your hypothetical 0 for 50 might get us there.   Or continuing what he is doing for a really long time, like another month.  But I don't think either of those are likely.

Nick Markakis was OPSing .597 after 196 PAs.  One of the few things the 2006 Orioles did right was letting him work through it.  From that point to the end of the year he OPS'd .799.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nick Markakis was OPSing .597 after 196 PAs.  One of the few things the 2006 Orioles did right was letting him work through it.  From that point to the end of the year he OPS'd .799.

Agree. Look at the first month this season for Torkelson/Witt/Rodriguez.  Then look at months 2-3.

• Upvote 2

Rutschman is going nowhere. He will eventually hit just fine at the major league level. 

As fans it's frustrating to see the team's highly publicized and thought of prospect struggle early in his major league career. But as been pointed out by many, Cal and Markakis struggled early on too. 

Besides, as Orioles fans, we should know by now that we aren't allowed new fresh things to get excited about. :D 

• Upvote 1

I would much rather watch Rutschman battle to figure it out at the Major League level than watch Bemboom or more Chirinos. If I remember correctly, he was a bit slower adapting at each level before dominating. I have faith that he'll be fine. 

On a side note, what would it take to have Nottingham promoted as his backup in place of Chirinos. I know the team loves the veteran presence and defense for Chirinos, but Nottingham has been hitting well in AAA and is just 27. I don't think he'll be anything great in the Majors, but (depending on his defense) he would seem the only candidate anywhere close to be a legit backup to Rutschman. 

Also remember Cal Ripken went 5-for-40 with no extra base hits and one walk in his 1981 callup.  OPS'd .278 (-19 OPS+). Then started '82 hitting .165/.185/.304 through May 9th. 

So in his first 47 games and 122 PAs he was OPSing .419, or way worse than 2018 Chris Davis.  He figured it out.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Also remember Cal Ripken went 5-for-40 with no extra base hits and one walk in his 1981 callup.  OPS'd .278 (-19 OPS+). Then started '82 hitting .165/.185/.304 through May 9th. 

So in his first 47 games and 122 PAs he was OPSing .419, or way worse than 2018 Chris Davis.  He figured it out.

Unfortunately we did not have the Orioles Hangout to document his failure as a ballplayer and probably a person. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1