Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what happens if they ARE all healthy?

I mean are you going to bench Lowell? Are you going to platoon Ortiz and Tex at DH?

Ortiz was playing at 60% for most of last year and he did fine, they gave him a giant contract and he ain't going anywhere. Lowell and Drew are going to be hard to move because of their deals.

So you trade Youk? He would be the easiest to move and probably get you a huge return, but that would be dumb.

How much of the contracts of Drew and/ or Lowell are they going to have to pick up to move them?

How much will Tex REALLY cost the Sox next year?

Where have you read that the Red Sox were ever considering moving JD Drew? That has never been discussed anywhere.

Youkilis is not going to be traded. He was the team's best player last season and has gotten better every season. He is also a GG 1st Baseman and a very good defensive 3B.

As for Lowell's contract, the Sox know that they will have to pick up a good portion of his salary if they hope to get a decent return in terms of players and they can easily do that. Remember they have some big contracts that are now off the books (Manny, Schilling, etc) and that provides flexibility.

The reason Teixeira is attractive to the Red Sox is mostly about beyond this season. He gives them a YOUNG power hitting corner infielder for which they don't have to trade any of their top prospects. John Henry has said many times that they prefer paying out money to FAs to trading prospects.

That is why there was much disagreement within the organization on the Beckett trade with the Marlins. There were many who felt Hanley Ramirez was too steep a price to pay. As talented Hanley is, I am happy the "Trade for Beckett," faction won that particular batter.

So, landing Teixeira allows the Red Sox to hang on to precious assets in the farm system. For them, they have more money than they have top prospects...which is why, ultimately, I believe the Sox will do what it takes to land Teixeira.

For the record, I'm not a Jeter fan... even though it may seem it... and I only picked him because he has been a winner.

period.

Even though his career took off with that little punk - Jeff Maiher - catching his NOT home home.

I say Jeter is a winner because he changed the course of games... single handedly... not one but multiple times, to bring home Championships or perpetuate Championship runs. That is how you become a captain of a team.

He's won 3 gold gloves... he's a 9 time all star... rookie of the year... Minor league player of the year (I'm pulling all of this off of Wiki). He has more hits than any other Yankee at Yankee stadium and is second on the Yankees all time hit list. He's a lifetime .316 hitter. This is the Yankees we are talking about... not the KC Royals.

So for you to imply that I am somehow insane or an inferior baseball fan because I'm referencing Jeter as a great player... is weak.

You're telling me that you wouldn't have wanted Jeter to play his years out in Baltimore???????????

Please.

There is such a huge difference between some paper stats and someone who not only performs above average but also has the ability to carry a team while on the field.

Nobody is saying Jeter isn't a great player. He is, he's a HOFer.

What people are responding to are two things.

One, is that a bulk of your argument is that he is great because "he is a winner/leader". That's fine and dandy, but it doesn't really mean much tangibly. He's a great player because he's an amazing hitter for a SS and has been very consistent offensively. Despite his 3 gold gloves, he is in fact a very bad defensive SS. He's very athletic and makes some amazing plays, but almost all of those plays a better SS would make and make look easy, and then they'd make more amazing plays on balls Jeter doesn't even get near.

Two, is that you are using Jeter's "greatness" to diminish the impact that Teixeira makes, which is simply incorrect. Teixiera is inarguably the better player right now. If you compare them at similar ages, Tex from 29-37 will probably be better than Jeter from 29-37 (Jeter is halfway there and slipping badly, especially defensively).

So, say that Jeter is great because he produces at an incredible clip, and you'll get no arguments. When you start bringing the "Tex is not a winner" arguments to the board, you are then arguing things that can't be proven or disproven, which is utterly pointless and irrelevant. Stick to facts.

All the Manny talk can come to an end.

He's not coming here for one reason...

He ain't losin the dreadlocks and beard to play for the Orioles.

And the only time I am thankful for that policy. He is a jerk and would be playing the same games here as he played in Boston if the O's were stupid enough to give out the money and years for a 36/37 year old DH who has fantasies of being a LFer.

Manny is the best Right handed hitter I've ever seen. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Then you aren't paying attention to the plan. How does he help the Orioles in three years when they are hopefully ready to contend? Manny would be an absurd signing.

I think "leadership" every time Jeter watches a ground ball up the middle that every AL shortstop reaches roll safely into the outfield.

I guess by "hoisting a team on his back" you mean hitting slightly worse in the postseason than he does in the regular season.

As a Yankee hater, you should know that you don't HAVE to buy into the media love affair with Jeter. People who know baseball know the guy has some serious shortcomings, especially on defense.

.316 lifetime hitter. First ballot HOFer. Show some respect. (I hate the Yankees)

Sounds like it won't happen before Christmas then :(

Roch seemed to be dropping hints that tomorrow could be the day and MacPhail didn't rule it out either...

Usually MacPhail would say he didn't expect anything to happen before Christmas, but not this time...

Some nuggest from the Roch blog...

MacPhail has spoken with agent Scott Boras multiple times since the winter meetings, though the subject occasionally drifts to other Boras clients besides Mark Teixeira (and not necessarily because that's where MacPhail steers it.)
As for the Orioles, they've made it clear that they have room to maneuver with their offer. They're not out of it. They're just trying to figure out how "in" they are, if that makes sense. Boras doesn't seem to be giving them a strong indication.

All I can say now is you shouldn't expect an announcement later tonight that the Orioles have reached agreement with Teixeira, but tomorrow is a new day. And it might be the most crucial, with Christmas so close.

That is completely wrong on so many levels. Have you not watched Jeter play? I'm a yankee hater, and even I have recognized that they guy is a flat-out winner.

Stats are not the whole story. I lived in Philly for the majority of Bobby Abreu's years. That guy was a stat stuffer... and you know what? He wasn't even close to being a game changing leader. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Don't believe me? Go to Philly and talk to any baseball fan. On paper Abreu would have appeared to be one of the pro's best... his stats might have been better... but he wasn't a game changer.

This Teixeira guy... has he ever hoisted a team on his back and carried them? I think not. If he has, I haven't seen it. And I'm not sure you could detail a series where he sacrificed his body in the stands, or came up with amazing clutch plays on the field... or pummeled an opposing pitching staff to the point that simply walking him was almost the best solution.

You guys are talking about giving this kid one of the largest contracts in the history of the majors... and you can't even tell me, beyond a Bobby Abreu stat quote, evidence of this guys heart and game changing leadership/play.

Jeter is supposedly a leader, and it doesn't hurt that he's good looking. These are probably why he is a fan favorite. Teixeira is a better fielder, hitter, and anything else that can be crunched.

Then you aren't paying attention to the plan. How does he help the Orioles in three years when they are hopefully ready to contend? Manny would be an absurd signing.

If Tex has an opt out clasue after 3 or 4 years how does that help 'the plan' Getting Tex is a win now move...signing Tex shows the fan base we are serious - these are all arguments used for signing Tex, that should apply to Manny right?

I'm just saying, I'd pay to watch him hit. Don't read too much into it.

Archived