Thursday, June 23: Orioles begin 10 game road trip in the South Side of Chicago

SteveA

Savant tonight has Orioles outfielders 18th MLB-wide at -3 OAA (White Sox AL worst by a lot YTD)

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielding_Team&startYear=2022&endYear=2022&split=no&team=&range=year&min=q&pos=of&roles=&viz=hide

It'll be interesting to see if it moves a tick or two tomorrow with tonight's plays.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Savant tonight has Orioles outfielders 18th MLB-wide at -3 OAA (White Sox AL worst by a lot YTD)

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielding_Team&startYear=2022&endYear=2022&split=no&team=&range=year&min=q&pos=of&roles=&viz=hide

It'll be interesting to see if it moves a tick or two tomorrow with tonight's plays.

That 18th has to be all on Santander and Mancini.  I can't think of a better top 2 defensive OF than Hays and Mullins.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That 18th has to be all on Santander and Mancini.  I can't think of a better top 2 defensive OF than Hays and Mullins.

Hays is very poor in OAA. He gets poor reads on the ball and takes poor routes. He's missed a couple balls this year that OAA really says should be caught 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• What is good about his approach? He’s a guess hitter. Maybe he’s identifying a few more balls out of the hand and able to lay off some pitches, but he is just guessing up there. His expected numbers are right in line with his actual numbers, so there is nothing saying the results should be better than that are.
    • I don't understand how you can say that Mateo has been playing well. He has a .288 OBP, which is putrid, and one of the contributing reasons this team is mostly producing its offense with solo home runs. Mateo's SLG and OPS are inflated due to 2 solo home runs - power is not part of his game, given his first home run was his first non-inside-the-park home run in over a year. So he remains what he's always been with the Orioles - one of the worst hitters in MLB.  His defense has been fine at 2B. But playing him, as always, requires gold glove defense to make up for the terrible bat. I'd much rather call up Mayo to play 3B and have Westburg at 2B every day. Or just roll with Urias at 3B instead of Mateo at 2B. 
    • Realistically, Mullins has been in the 17th percentile or lower in xwOBA every year besides 2021. That’s Mateo territory and it’s pretty clear that 2021 is an outlier. He has pretty dramatically out performed his expected numbers the last 4 years, but if he doesn’t, this is what it’s going to look like because his expected stats are even worse than his actual stats right now.  They just need him to be at even a 90 wRC+ or so. With that and his base running and fielding, he’d probably still be worth close to 3 WAR. 
    • Slow down the bat as in not move it? I don’t post much and this is the first time i’ve shown any heat about a player, manager, coach, or owner in my 17 years on OH, but under the circumstances, I see only three possible reasons Cowser would have been “thinking something off speed” - the scouts and batting “strategists “ didn’t know or communicate as much about Romano as Palmer did on the broadcast , Cowser wasn’t paying attention in class, or he doesn’t take coaching well.
    • But we do. Cowser in center, Kjerstad in left. Commit to the future of this team. 
    • I'd like to see Cedric trying to hit to the opposite field occasionally. He basically has had zero hard contact to left field. 
    • I didn’t like the decision to end Burnes’ night after 85 pitches.  I also didn’t like using both Kimbrel and Cano for the 4th time in 6 days.   
  • Popular Contributors