Power Rankings!!!!11111

Moose Milligan

6 hours ago, interloper said:

It's a looooooong 6.5 back though. Most of the league is ahead of us so we'd have to outplay a bunch of different teams. 

And honestly there's not much salary left to unload. Sure you save on arbitration by dealing Santander, but it's negligible. It's really about maximizing control years and making sure there's a path for your top prospects. Stowers projects as a better player than Santander in my mind. And Mancini, look, the objective is just to get this guy to a contender. 

Agreed. The defensive upgrade of Stowers over Santander alone is worth dealing Santander away so we can promote Stowers. And Stowers has a good chance to be a better hitter than Santander as well.

The Orioles are worse winning percentage wise, but they are tied in the win column with the second place Guardians in the AL Central and have one win less than the second place Mariners in the AL West.

Even if the Orioles slump a bit post all star break this is finally a team with some life that can compete on most nights. 

14 hours ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

I like the new playoff format. If you lose to teams throughout the season and they own the tiebreaker over you that’s fine with me. I prefer the 3 game series instead of the 1 game wildcard playoff. 

I agree. A head to head record throughout the season means much more than a one game "playoff" game which I've never liked.

17 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Among many things that bum me out about the new playoff format is that there aren't tiebreaker games at the end of the season anymore. If, by some miracle, the Orioles had the same record as the Rays at the end of the year with a wild-card on the line, the spot would be determined by head-to-head record. (Currently that's the Rays thanks to their sweep in the first series of the year.) So the Orioles aren't *really* 6.5 behind the Rays or Jays or whoever. Just another way MLB doesn't care about the diehards who do goofy things like check the standings in July. As long as TBS gets their month of games, baybeee.

Dang I didn’t know this. I understand the arguments that a head to head tiebreaker makes more sense, but those game 163’s were so much fun to watch! Remember Twins-Tigers from 2009??

Lame move MLB.

From The Athletic:

19. Baltimore Orioles

Record: 43-44
Last Power Ranking: 21

New rule: We always root for our favorite teams. But when our favorite teams aren’t playing the Orioles, we root for the Orioles, too. Deal?

Because the Orioles are … kinda good? And really fun? Sure, they got trampled in April — same old Orioles, LOL — but they were only two games below .500 in May, and they had a winning record in June. Then July started with back-to-back walk-off losses (brutal) followed immediately by eight straight wins, including three walk-off victories in five days (hooray!). Their pitching is actually pretty good, and most of their everyday lineup has an OPS+ above league average. Adley Rutschman just hit his first Camden Yards home run, Tyler Nevin just played against his dad, and Jorge Mateo can’t hit a lick, but he’s insanely fast with excellent defensive metrics at shortstop.

So can we be cool about this? If they get close to knocking someone out of the playoffs, we can reassess. Until then, Let’s Go O’s!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:17 PM, baltimoreO's22 said:

I like the new playoff format. If you lose to teams throughout the season and they own the tiebreaker over you that’s fine with me. I prefer the 3 game series instead of the 1 game wildcard playoff. 

Is there a wildcard round now?  Do the teams with the best records get a bye like the NFL?

16 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is there a wildcard round now?  Do the teams with the best records get a bye like the NFL?

Yes the top 2 from each league will get a bye. 3v6 4v5 will play a 3 game series all at the higher seed's stadium. Unlike the NFL, there will be no reseeding so 1 will play the 4v5 winner and 2 will play the 3v6 winner  in the divisional round. 

Just now, baltimoreO's22 said:

Yes the top 2 from each league will get a bye. 3v6 4v5 will play a 3 game series all at the higher seed's stadium. Unlike the NFL, there will be no reseeding so 1 will play the 4v5 winner and 2 will play the 3v6 winner  in the divisional round. 

Big improvement over 1 wild card game.  As we all know, any baseball team can beat any other team in 1 game. 

• Upvote 1