Let’s Be Buyers

oriolefan1035

2 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

I'm as excited as anyone that we're playing well, and that the Elias plan is in good shape. But, come on, we are not a playoff team this year in my opinion. 

Me neither, but it’s fun to contemplate the remote possibility that we could be wrong.  

6 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

The Rays essentially do it all the time. Even during the offseason. I trust Elias to be able to pull it off.

Can you tell me any actual years/trades where they've done that at the deadline?

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  That was my first thought too, especially Tampa.  I feel like they have traded some guys while adding relievers or something along those lines.

Every year at the deadline I hear that the O's should be buyers and sellers. I still don't know if any teams actually do that. It seems like all of the 3-team trade ideas, as rare as a unicorn. 

37 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Every year at the deadline I hear that the O's should be buyers and sellers. I still don't know if any teams actually do that. It seems like all of the 3-team trade ideas, as rare as a unicorn. 

It’s not a regular occurrence but it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not a regular occurrence but it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen.

Well there's the rub right? If it should happen, why doesn't it happen? Because it's not an easy thing to execute? Or because it's not a good strategy?

15 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Well there's the rub right? If it should happen, why doesn't it happen? Because it's not an easy thing to execute? Or because it's not a good strategy?

I think it’s because most teams don’t get in position to do both. Most teams are only sellers or only buyers.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So,  I don’t really disagree with you.

The question is, with the depth in the OF that we have and with Mullins getting older (ie beyond the historical peak years) and more expensive over the next few years, do you cash in now?  

For me, I think Mullins represents our best chance to obtain high level, cost controlled pitching and I think that is more important to us than what he will be providing in 2-4 years.

I agree with this *if* the return is a top 50 SP. So far we haven't seen any evidence that these players are available. I would also be open to moving Hays for similar type of return. I would not trade either one willy nilly.

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Elias is focused on one goal, and that is making the Orioles an annual contender. 

Now, if they can trade Santander, Lyles, Mancini, Lopez or Tate for players that make that goal more reachable, then I think we could see them dealt.

Not in 1000 years do I see Elias trading any of his young players for rentals to chase the Wild Card this year.

The Orioles are playing great and they're fun to watch. They're playing the best sustained baseball we've seen in a long time.

Saying that, they are not true contenders this year so whatever moves Elias needs to make the 2023 team and beyond better. 

Rutschman is still getting his feet under him and it's doubtful our starting pitching is going to continue their great run, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'd love to see the Orioles move Odor for just about anything. while he's a good clubhouse guy and has had his moments, Vavra and Westburg are knocking hard at the door for playing time at 2B on the big league squad. Henderson may need some PAs by late August and Stowers is probably as ready as he's going to be (K's and all).

I think this offseason is going to be the real moves for Elias. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if Elias made major moves at the trade deadline besides possibly moving Mancini or Santander.

You guys shouldn’t give up on this team, Tony. We started later this year, but it’s starting to feel like 2012. Orioles Magic is back baby!

11 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Can you tell me any actual years/trades where they've done that at the deadline?

Last year they sent "SP3" Rich Hill to the Mets about July 23rd for Tommy Hunter and a prospect. 

If you believe a 1425-innings mediocre tool* like Hill is "selling" anything a serious Club these days would actually pitch in October.    A few months later they left Ryan Yarbrough off the roster for the Boston series, the Ghost Runner going away helped cause a tense 13-inning game, and they ran out of innings in Fenway...it was a fun watch.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS202110100.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS202110110.shtml

I do give the Rays more points than the Brewers as they actually let McClanahan try with the season on the line, and he somehow seems still able to pitch this season.

*yes, we could use a 1425-innings mediocre tool for whatever playing with house money fun we get to have these next few days/weeks/months.

I suggested the same with Wildcard a month ago. You can buy and sell successfully but has Elias proved he can do either successfully? 

Most on here will poo-poo going for the wildcard. Frankly, I don’t care, most would argue if the sky is blue.

I think they should keep Mancini, see what the offers are for Santander, Lyles, Tate & Lopez and use your top farm system to acquire some salary dumps, particularly SPs. No way do I trade Batista.

Our top ranked guys at 30-40 (which some will need to be protected for rule 5)can net you more than top 15 guys from other farm systems given our overall farm system ranking. Posters on here love to use the straw man and say, no way am I trading Hall or Gunnar. Of course not, but if you don’t trade some of these guys closer to 25-40 you are going to lose them anyways. I think even someone like Nevin still has some value if packaged with other prospects. Prove your scouting abilities Elias. Trade the guys you think have shortcomings before their value goes to zero. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We can buy simply by just calling up Hall, Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra. 

Hall is not ready. But your point is good however, like I mentioned in post above, you are going to lose some guys anyways in the off-season to the rule 5, so why not use that capital now? 

9 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I suggested the same with Wildcard a month ago. You can buy and sell successfully but has Elias proved he can do either successfully? 

Most on here will poo-poo going for the wildcard. Frankly, I don’t care, most would argue if the sky is blue.

I think they should keep Mancini, see what the offers are for Santander, Lyles, Tate & Lopez and use your top farm system to acquire some salary dumps, particularly SPs. No way do I trade Batista.

Our top ranked guys at 30-40 (which some will need to be protected for rule 5)can net you more than top 15 guys from other farm systems given our overall farm system ranking. Posters on here love to use the straw man and say, no way am I trading Hall or Gunnar. Of course not, but if you don’t trade some of these guys closer to 25-40 you are going to lose them anyways. I think even someone like Nevin still has some value if packaged with other prospects. Prove your scouting abilities Elias. Trade the guys you think have shortcomings before their value goes to zero. 

I agree that they need to identify redundancy in the Minors and package some type of prospects with vets to get the best return. 

I don't think trading 2 of the vets together will optimize the return.

Nevin unfortunately has little to no trade value. I wish he were a better hitter, but he seemingly doesn't do any one skill at the plate well.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I agree that they need to identify redundancy in the Minors and package some type of prospects with vets to get the best return. 

I don't think trading 2 of the vets together will optimize the return.

Nevin unfortunately has little to no trade value. I wish he were a better hitter, but he seemingly doesn't do any one skill at the plate well.

Not saying he has much value but if I were a rebuilding club, I’d def take a flyer as a 2nd/ third piece.

Is there a Bud Norris type out there (ok starting pitcher having a decent year on a crappy club) that wouldn't cost a ton?  Or a Joe Saunders type?  

It can't derail the rebuild, but reinforcing this club could be the right move, especially if some more callups happen (Westburg, Vavra, etc).  

The O's can hang this year. A chance to make the playoffs shouldn't be ignored.