My 2022 Midseason Report Card

Frobby

My disagreements:

- Mancini: I'm of the sort that doesn't count a player's luck against him. He's hitting better as he ever has in expected numbers and deserves an A.

- Nevin is a D-. I hoped he could at least be a replacement-level fill-in for an injury, but he's been worse.

- Chirinos is a D. He had a .778 OPS last year and .742 career. I expected more than a .530.

Where I agree but a lot of people here probably don't:

- Mateo: B. I never expected this kind of consistency on defense and the bases. Shortstop's a hard position to fill, and if he's the one weak link in the lineup next year while repeating this defense, I can accept it. With three more years of control, I'm going to hope the hitting coaches can do a little work here.

• Upvote 3

Not really sure what the criteria are but I would give McKenna, Owings, and Nevin F's. No matter how low your expectations, they haven't brought anything. 

I would actually give Odor a B. I just like him. He's always the first guy out of the dugout to join the celebration and went nuts yesterday. Yeah, his batting average sucks but he plays hard and he's productive enough.

I would give Adley a B. His offense is coming on and I like his energy.

The Pitchers

And now for the pitchers.  I've listed them in order of IP, with a 20 inning minimum.

Jordan Lyles, 92 IP, 4-7, 4.70 ERA, 1.413 WHIP, 7.5 K/9, 2.7 K/BB, -0.1 rWAR, 1.4 fWAR: B.   Lyles has done exactly what we brought him here to do.   The most important stat there is 92 IP.   He’s been mediocre, but is soaking up innings and mentoring the younger pitchers.   He’s basically done the same as last year, but in a tougher division.  

Tyler Wells 75.2 IP, 7-4, 3.09 ERA, 1.004 WHIP, 5.9 K/9, 2.9 K/BB, 1.9 rWAR, 1.4 fWAR: A.  Going into the year, there were questions whether Wells could reconvert to being a starter.    He’s been our most effective guy out there.   Now the question is, how many innings will they let him pitch?

Bruce Zimmermann, 66.2 IP, 2-5, 5.94 ERA, 1.470 WHIP, 6.2 K/9, 4.2 K/BB, -0.9 rWAR, -0.2 fWAR: C.   Zim started well but then faltered badly earning a trip to AAA.   He’s coming back now and I’m hoping for a stronger second half from him. 

Keegan Akin, 46.2 IP, 1-1, 2.31 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 7.5 K/9, 3.0 K/BB, 1.3 rWAR, 0.3 fWAR: A-.   Akin was extremely valuable throwing 2+ innings each outing of the first half.  I loved the way he went out and pounded the strike zone.  He faltered just a bit in late June, or I would have given him an A.

Kyle Bradish, 46.1 IP, 1-4, 7.38 ERA, 1.770 WHIP, 8.9 K/9, 2.6 K/BB, -1.0 rWAR, 0.0 fWAR: D.   With an ERA over 7, I easily could justify an F, but since he was just making his major league debut, I cut him a break.   I still believe in his arm and his stuff.

Spenser Watkins, 41.0 IP, 1-1, 4.61 ERA, 1.488 WHIP, 5.0 K/9, 1.35 K/BB, -0.2 rWAR, 0.3 fWAR: B.  Talk about doing more with less!   His K/9 and K/BB are both lousy, but somehow he kept the scoreboard under control.   He certainly did better than I expected.   Spent some time on the IL.

Jorge Lopez, 38.1 IP, 3-5, 1.88 ERA, 0.991 WHIP, 9.9 K/9, 2.8 K/BB, 13 saves, 4 blown saves, 1.3 rWAR, 0.7 fWAR: B+.   Now here’s one where you really have to think.   His ERA, WHIP and BAA all are outstanding and would warrant an A.   But, his poor performances have all come in high leverage situations.  13 of 17 saves (76%) is a lousy save rate for a closer, and a 3-5 record isn’t stellar, either.  So consider B+ a compromise grade.   Certainly I wasn’t expecting more from him than we got, and probably less.

Dillon Tate, 38.1 IP, 0-3, 2.11 ERA, 1.043 WHIP, 7.3 K/9, 4.4 K/BB, 1.1 rWAR, 0.7 fWAR: B+.   Tate’s another guy for whom my expectations were not terribly high, and he has exceeded them.   He still makes me nervous because his pitches have side run that he cannot command, and sometimes that lands him smack in the middle of the strike zone.   But overall, his results have been good.

Bryan Baker 33.1 IP, 3-3, 4.59 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 8.4 K/9, 2.4 K/BB, 0.1 rWAR, 0.7 fWAR: B.   He’s been the definition of a mediocre middle reliever.   But you know what?   He was a waiver claim, so he has exceeded expectations.

Dean Kremer 32.2 IP, 2-1, 2.48 ERA, 1.286  WHIP, 6.3 K/9, 2.6 K/BB, 0.9 rWAR, 0.7 fWAR: A-.  I wasn’t expecting much from Kremer, and then he got hurt.   But he was real good once he finally made his way back into the rotation.   He seems way more confident and focused this year. I would have given him an A if he’d pitched more games at those numbers.

Felix Bautista 32.1 IP, 3-2, 1.39 ERA, 1.021 WHIP, 10.6 K/9, 3.2 K/BB, 1.5 rWAR, 0.7 fWAR: A.   This guy is a beast, hands down the reliever I trust the most.   I was expecting a guy who would have battles with his command, but he’s been pretty much on target, and with his stuff, he doesn’t need to have perfect command to have success.

Joey Krehbiel, 28.0 IP, 3-3, 2.57 ERA, 1.000 WHIP, 7.1 K/9, 2.4 K/BB, 0.5 rWAR, 0.2: A.   Here’s another guy who I had virtually no expectations for.   He’s been really good and doesn’t shrink in big moments. 

Cionel Perez, 26.1 IP, 4-1, 1.03 ERA, 1.329 WHIP, 8.5 K/9, 2.3 K/BB, 1.6 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR: A.   My impression of Perez for the first month is that he was a smaller version of Tanner Scott. I thought his early success in keeping runs off the scoreboard was a bit of a fluky mirage.  But he’s gotten more consistent as the season has progressed.   And you just can’t argue with a 1.03 ERA.

Overall, and remembering that I'm grading compared to expectations, the starters get a B and the bullpen gets an A.   Overall grade for the pitching staff: B+.   I'd gladly take an exact repeat in the second half.   Especially when you consider that we lost John Means and Grayson Rodriguez, the staff has exceeded expectations to a significant degree.

Comments?

• Upvote 2

You missed Arauz who I would give a D.

Nevin is here because Urias got hurt and Elias expanded the position players from 12 to 13.  And because they release Owings.

One of the two of them sticks around to backup 3B.   Vavra should get one of them optioned to AAA in the next two weeks.

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Frobby: can you explain the framing metrics you mentioned for Chirnos. I was shocked to read they are poor. Do you have a link for this info? Do they track at minor league level?

There are a couple of different sources, but the one most easy to access is Fangraphs.   Here a link to their list of defensive stats for 54 catchers, 200 innings caught minimum (look at the column labeled "FRM").    They have him dead last in framing runs, at -9.5   Adley is 14th, at +2.5, despite not having caught that many games yet.  On a per-game basis he is pretty spectacular. 

Baseball Prospectus has its own framing metric.  They have Chirinos at -10.0, Rutschman at +1.7. 

Now let me just say, when I watch Chirinos, I don't notice that he is a particularly bad framer.   But the stats say otherwise.   

I don't know of publicly available sources that track this at the minor league level.

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You missed Arauz who I would give a D.

Nevin is here because Urias got hurt and Elias expanded the position players from 12 to 13.  And because they release Owings.

One of the two of them sticks around to backup 3B.   Vavra should get one of them optioned to AAA in the next two weeks.

I didn't miss Arauz.   He didn't make my 50 PA cutoff.   As to Nevin, I would have sent him down the minute Urias was healthy, but he's still here.   I also like Gutierrez a lot better than Nevin, yet we sent him down after 33 PA, whereas Nevin has had 149 (as of Game 81).