Which player would you be most/least excited about?

7 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Holliday is my favorite personal pick, but I would be happy with Jones simply because it means Elias/Sig believe he's the best player and that spending our allotment for whom they believe is the best talent isn't an issue. I haven't been happy with refusing to take BPA in 2020 and 2021 when we could have gotten better players (IMO) in the first round. And in 2020, we could have still gone underslot, drafted a more talented player, AND still likely drafted Westburg, Mayo, and Baumler.

You know I feel the same way:) Taking Cowser over Jordan Lawlar was insanity and caused me to not trust Elias’ evaluation. I hope he redeems himself in this draft. I liked Lacy over Kerjstad but at least see why that was done. Cowser? (Nothing personal of course) over Lawalar (currently 13th top prospect) is just absolutely mind boggling bad. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Look, I thought Lawlar was a better choice than Cowser on draft day, and said so at the time.  But will you stop beating a dead horse?

Not everyone thinks Lawlar is the bees’ knees.   Eric Longenhagen has Cowser at 43, Lawlar at 64.   Lawlar had a .327 OPS in his debut week in Hi A last week, Cowser is currently rocking a 1.082 after two weeks of AA.

Again, it’s not that I disagree with your opinion.  But enough already!

Please stop Frobby, I brought it up because I was responding to another poster who clearly didn't know my opinion. You weren't in the conversation. I am not going to be bullied on what I can and can't post. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Look, I thought Lawlar was a better choice than Cowser on draft day, and said so at the time.  But will you stop beating a dead horse?

Not everyone thinks Lawlar is the bees’ knees.   Eric Longenhagen has Cowser at 43, Lawlar at 64.   Lawlar had a .327 OPS in his debut week in Hi A last week, Cowser is currently rocking a 1.082 after two weeks of AA.

Again, it’s not that I disagree with your opinion.  But enough already!

I literally said in the post, I bet you know my opinion already with a smiley face? I was not talking to you. That is incredibly rude Frobby.

• Downvote 2

Excited: Jones, Green

Happy: Holliday, Lee

Support: anyone else

If it is Jones or Green, that means to me that Elias and staff believe they can develop that pick into a star. And they do believe in their ability to do it. This is a bit risky for Elias and Sig. To pick these kinds of guys would mean they really trust their process. Green might offer some bonus savings as well. 

Holliday and Lee will likely still be fine MLB players. A little lower ceiling, maybe a higher floor. I think they are more likely picks than Jones and Green.

If its any other pick, I will support them. Doesn’t mean I love the pick, but I will support them. It will likely be a fine player, but a team only picks 1-1 so many times. I hope they never pick 1-1 again in my lifetime. No Griffey or ARod this year, but this pick is very important.

Overall, I think they’ll take one of the first four listed. If they do go more of a depth approach, this board will implode, as will Orioles Twitter. It’ll be fun to watch.

They do need the depth to make trades to acquire additional championship level pitching. But, like some, I think they can take Druw Jones, pay him slot (or just below), and manipulate the other picks to add value in various scenarios. They can under slot from the third round on down, for instance, if they take a guy like Sam Horn, RHP/QB prospect out of Georgia, or LHP Noah Shultz, the 6’-09” guy committed to Vandy. They’d get some higher end guys early and then take some less-refined or under-valued guys after that. Maybe a run on senior pitching, or an interesting projectable guy who COVID stunted their growth process. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jammer7 said:

Excited: Jones, Green

Happy: Holliday, Lee

Support: anyone else

If it is Jones or Green, that means to me that Elias and staff believe they can develop that pick into a star. And they do believe in their ability to do it. This is a bit risky for Elias and Sig. To pick these kinds of guys would mean they really trust their process. Green might offer some bonus savings as well. 

Holliday and Lee will likely still be fine MLB players. A little lower ceiling, maybe a higher floor. I think they are more likely picks than Jones and Green.

If its any other pick, I will support them. Doesn’t mean I love the pick, but I will support them. It will likely be a fine player, but a team only picks 1-1 so many times. I hope they never pick 1-1 again in my lifetime. No Griffey or ARod this year, but this pick is very important.

Overall, I think they’ll take one of the first four listed. If they do go more of a depth approach, this board will implode, as will Orioles Twitter. It’ll be fun to watch.

They do need the depth to make trades to acquire additional championship level pitching. But, like some, I think they can take Druw Jones, pay him slot (or just below), and manipulate the other picks to add value in various scenarios. They can under slot from the third round on down, for instance, if they take a guy like Sam Horn, RHP/QB prospect out of Georgia, or LHP Noah Shultz, the 6’-09” guy committed to Vandy. They’d get some higher end guys early and then take some less-refined or under-valued guys after that. Maybe a run on senior pitching, or an interesting projectable guy who COVID stunted their growth process. 

You don't?

I hope they barely miss the playoff this year and then win the new draft lottery and pick 1-1 next year.

How funny would that be?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Someone talk me into Brooks Lee.

He's a safe bet, as far as prospects go, to be a solid 3-4 fwar performer with outlier 5fwar seasons. That's extremely valuable. He just doesn't have star power some of the others have. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

He's a safe bet, as far as prospects go, to be a solid 3-4 fwar performer with outlier 5fwar seasons. That's extremely valuable. He just doesn't have star power some of the others have. 

So, I get this.  Solid bet is a similar thing I would have said about Cowser last year but is that #1 pick worthy with some much other talent out there?

The #1 pick should have elite upside..HOF potential.  MVP type guy. Not solid regular.  

I would take Lee over many people and he would be filed under a category of disappointed but not hate the pick but I hate the pick if the draft ends up like last years, where you don’t really take advantage of the savings.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, I get this.  Solid bet is a similar thing I would have said about Cowser last year but is that #1 pick worthy with some much other talent out there?

The #1 pick should hav elite upside..HOF potential.  MVP type guy. Not solid regular.  

I would take Lee over many people and he would be filed under a category of disappointed but not hate the pick but I hate the pick if the draft ends up like last years, where you don’t really take advantage of the savings.

Or an injured pitcher.

I'd like to take Jones, but my biggest concern with any OFer is that the bat has to be extremely potent to make it worth the 1:1 pick. If they end up being similar hitters, I'd always take the infielder. More positions to play (a legitimate defender can play any IF position IMO), and a greater impact overall on the game. IMO, it's not a coincidence that when we were at our best back in the Machado era, it's because we had arguably the best infield in MLB. 

If you think Jones has a HOF caliber bat, which as I understand it is seldomly predicted, then go for it. Otherwise, take Holiday or whatever other potent bat can project to stick at SS.