Which player would you be most/least excited about?

36 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Someone asked which experts agreed with me that Jones is on a tier by himself. Well, MLB Pipeline and BA have him at an overall 65 grade, the others linked to the 1-1 pick at 60. BA defines that grade as a “Perennial All Star.” Fangraphs also has him at 55 FV, all others 50. So, that’s a tier all his own, unless I misunderstand the term.

He isn’t Ken Griffey Jr., or Adley, but he has tremendous tools, blood lines and competitiveness. Unless there is something of an issue we don’t know about, he would be my choice. What they project he’ll be in 3-5 years is the issue. 

I don’t know who they’ll take, and I’ll support whomever they draft. I may prefer Jones, but if they go under slot and then over to get other big talents, fine. Elias has proven to me that his process and judgement works well. I remain hopeful that they take the best talent at 1–1, and I think SG and I have laid out ways they can do just that.

This is going to be a lot of fun. Try to enjoy it. These are good times to be an Oriole fan again. 

Here is the thing I will say (and I agree with all of this)

I don’t want them to draft Lee or Johnson but if they do, I do think they end up with a fast moving player who should be an above average player.

I won’t truly be happy unless they draft Jones..with Holliday has being happy but with an asterisk.

The only player I can think of that would truly make me pissed off would be Berry.  But I won’t be happy with any of the other picks but there are certainly levels of unhappiness

I will say that if they take Johnson or Lee and then crap the bed the rest of the draft like last year, it will make me dislike the pick even more.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want them to draft Lee or Johnson but if they do, I do think they end up with a fast moving player who should be an above average player.

I won’t truly be happy unless they draft Jones..with Holliday has being happy but with an asterisk.

The only player I can think of that would truly make me pissed off would be Berry.  But I won’t be happy with any of the other picks but there are certainly levels of unhappiness

I will say that if they take Johnson or Lee and then crap the bed the rest of the draft like last year, it will make me dislike the pick even more.

We are in absolute agreement again!  Except for Lesko :)

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

How did they crap the bed on the other picks last year?  Rhodes had a great start and has faltered. Trimble has been injured. Norby has been okay. Tavera has pitched well at Aberdeen and Collin Burns has done well.  As usual too early to make proclamations but that never stops you. I would say last years draft looks underwhelming so far.  To make the judgment that they crapped the bed is just dumb and ignorant and wrong. 3 strikes.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How did they crap the bed on the other picks last year?  Rhodes had a great start and has faltered. Trimble has been injured. Norby has been okay. Tavera has pitched well at Aberdeen and Collin Burns has done well.  As usual too early to make proclamations but that never stops you. I would say last years draft looks underwhelming so far.  To make the judgment that they crapped the bed is just dumb and ignorant and wrong. 3 strikes.

I didn’t like the draft when it happened.  The players after Cowser have collectively been garbage and many were college guys.  You usually can tell early with guys like that.

The Trimble injury is the one saving grace, I do agree there. I did like that pick, so maybe once he’s healthy he will do something.

But more than the performance is that they passed on higher ceiling talent after taking the underslot guy first.  If they had taken more higher ceiling talent and it failed, I would have been fine with it.  But when you don’t do that and you go underslot, I have an issue with that strategy.  

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t like the draft when it happened.  The players after Cowser have collectively been garbage and many were college guys.  You usually can tell early.

The Trimble injury is the one saving grace.  I did like that pick, so maybe once he’s healthy he will do something.

But more than the performance is that they passed on higher ceiling talent after taking the underslot guy first.  If they had taken more higher ceiling talent and it failed, I would have been fine with it.  But when you don’t do that and you go underslot, I have an issue with that strategy.  

Norby, Rhodes, Tavera, and Burns have "collectively been garbage"?  That's an interesting take.  Stupid but interesting. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Norby, Rhodes, Tavera, and Burns have "collectively been garbage"?  That's an interesting take.  Stupid but interesting. 

I guess I should say garbage relative to expectations.  Burns is nothing.  Tavera May have a role as a future reliever at best.  Rhodes has no power. To me, a lot of them look like organizational type guys.

I like Norby but he has disappointed imo. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess I should say garbage relative to expectations.  Burns is nothing.  Tavera May have a role as a future reliever at best.  Rhodes has no power. To me, a lot of them look like organizational type guys.

I like Norby but he has disappointed imo. 

Well, one year into there careers you are astute enough to know Tavera can't start and Rhodes has no power.  Both are dumb things to say at this point.   Strong opinions don't equal intelligent opinions.  Hasty conclusions can turn out right.  Still doesn't make it smart.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, one year into there careers you are astute enough to know Tavera can't start and Rhodes has no power.  Both are dumb things to say at this point.   Strong opinions don't equal intelligent opinions.  Hasty conclusions can turn out right.  Still doesn't make it smart.

Ok sparky.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As a diehard fan like many of us,you highlighted the positives well, but ignored the fact none look to be the same level of talent from the 2019 and 2020 drafts of  Mayo, Westburg, Adley, Hernandez, Baulmer and even Hernaiz.

I believe the spread strategy last year was a complete misfire, the talent they expected in the later rounds were already gone and we ended up with 2nd tier talent like Rhodes who had show some talent then regressed.

I wish they stop being so cute and draft the best player available.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

7 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

As a diehard fan like many of us,you highlighted the positives well, but ignored the fact none look to be the same level of talent from the 2019 and 2020 drafts of  Mayo, Westburg, Adley, Hernandez, Baulmer and even Hernaiz.

I believe the spread strategy last year was a complete misfire, the talent they expected in the later rounds were already gone and we ended up with 2nd tier talent like Rhodes who had show some talent then regressed.

I wish they stop being so cute and draft the best player available.

I don't know how cute it is. If Cowser and Kjerstad are top players post draft, what did we lose?

Westburg and Henderson didn't look half as good as they do now, last July.

On 7/17/2022 at 12:43 PM, RZNJ said:

I don't know how cute it is. If Cowser and Kjerstad are top players post draft, what did we lose?

Westburg and Henderson didn't look half as good as they do now, last July.

Well, they looked pretty darned good.  Just not as good as right now.  

I agree it takes a while to really judge a player.  I wasn’t a big fan of the 2021 draft but I haven’t given up on anyone either.