Is it Sustainable?

Yossarian

Agree re: Voth & Watkins but if Santander and Tate gets you Snell the scale tips. Lyles, Snell, Kremer, Wells-Hall (each on 3 inning limit) might be enough. The 5th slot, when you need it is whatever combo of Bradish, Zimm, Voth, Watkins that is on the 26 until roster expands. Replace Santander with Stowers. 

• Upvote 1

I don't believe that this group of starting pitchers can sustain a .500 level of success over the long term.  Also, having the current group batting 7-8-9 in the lineup just doesn't cut it.  Yeah, Urias and Mateo had the hits that won last nights game, but overall, those three positions have been black holes in the lineup.  At least two of Vavra, Henderson or Westburg need to filter up over the next month or so if we're going to hit enough to make a wild card (not Wildcard) run.

I have watched baseball for too long to think that I have any real idea of the twists and turns a season will take.  One of the reasons it’s such a great sport is that it seems very predictable, but it is full of surprises.   A month ago I feared our pitching was about to collapse; instead, they’ve had their strongest run of the season.  So what the hell do I know?

I’ll say this: our offense has the capacity to improve.   It’s not like we have a bunch of hitters having fluky good seasons.  So, I see some potential for offensive improvement that could help keep the team winning even if the pitching comes down to earth from its recent hot streak (which it inevitably will).   Will it work out that way?  Beats me.  

I’ve seen a 54-win team win 89 the next year.  I’ve seen a 69-win team win 93 the next year.   I’ve seen a team that was 32-73 finish the season 34-23.   I’ve seen a team that was 63-63 finish the season 4-32.   I’ve seen a team that was 50-42 finish 24-46.   You just never know.    

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Only if we upgrade the rotation. Voth and Watkins cannot be counted on to keep it up. Even Kremer I am suspicious of. But if you reinforce with some combo of Hall, Harvey, Bradish (if he can regain his form), a trade acquisition... There's a chance.

Harvey???

30 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't believe that this group of starting pitchers can sustain a .500 level of success over the long term.  Also, having the current group batting 7-8-9 in the lineup just doesn't cut it.  Yeah, Urias and Mateo had the hits that won last nights game, but overall, those three positions have been black holes in the lineup.  At least two of Vavra, Henderson or Westburg need to filter up over the next month or so if we're going to hit enough to make a wild card (not Wildcard) run.

Urias had a miserable April but he has been solid ever since. Currently just under his career norm OPS and headed in the right direction. No reason to think he can't continue to OPS .750. I think Westburg would almost certainly be better than Mateo but I'm not sure Vavra will be better than Urias.

5 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Is the recent success of this team sustainable?  When you look at the team offensive numbers and league rankings, the Orioles offense is performing below average, in general, and well below average in several categories. 

Pitching is obviously carrying this team so far, but can it be sustained as the season gets into the dig days and pitcher's arms start to wear?  

Will Mancini, Hays, Santander, and Mountcastle start hitting more HRs to give the pitchers a little more room for error?

Will Mullins get some of his long ball power from last year back?

Will Mateo end up with more HRs on the season than Mancini?

Will we get any production out of the bottom of the order?

So many questions regarding this offense going forward.  I don't think the pitching success can hold up  -  need some offense.

There are a lot of questions, sure. And I don't know the answers, either.

The other teams competing for the post-season have unanswered questions and weaknesses, too. Some of them will spend some money as a result of those questions and weaknesses. Will the Orioles?

Practically everybody's pitching staff, starters and relievers, has the risk of fatigue in August and September. That's why if you can sniff the post-season you don't trade competent starting pitchers (like Lyles, to my surprise) or relievers (like Lopez) unless you're getting major league-level pitching back. Or, I guess, if you're presented with an opportunity you can't pass up, but I don't think any Frank Robinson equivalents are going to be available.

What I do know is this. The Orioles are playing winning, fun-to-watch baseball, and they're doing it despite having an unimpressive offense. That offense has been especially weak at the catcher position (until Rutschman settled in) and at 2B, SS and 3B. The offense would have been more productive, and it's likely that the team would have been better and probably would have won more games, if AngELias (I don't know who made these decisions, but I think I can narrow it down to two) had shelled out a few more bucks to fill those positions with guys who can hit and field and if they had promoted Adley earlier, instead of filling those obvious holes on the cheap because he/they decided in advance that the Orioles' 2022 season didn't really matter. 

22 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

There are a lot of questions, sure. And I don't know the answers, either.

The other teams competing for the post-season have unanswered questions and weaknesses, too. Some of them will spend some money as a result of those questions and weaknesses. Will the Orioles?

Practically everybody's pitching staff, starters and relievers, has the risk of fatigue in August and September. That's why if you can sniff the post-season you don't trade competent starting pitchers (like Lyles, to my surprise) or relievers (like Lopez) unless you're getting major league-level pitching back. Or, I guess, if you're presented with an opportunity you can't pass up, but I don't think any Frank Robinson equivalents are going to be available.

What I do know is this. The Orioles are playing winning, fun-to-watch baseball, and they're doing it despite having an unimpressive offense. That offense has been especially weak at the catcher position (until Rutschman settled in) and at 2B, SS and 3B. The offense would have been more productive, and it's likely that the team would have been better and probably would have won more games, if AngELias (I don't know who made these decisions, but I think I can narrow it down to two) had shelled out a few more bucks to fill those positions with guys who can hit and field and if they had promoted Adley earlier, instead of filling those obvious holes on the cheap because he/they decided in advance that the Orioles' 2022 season didn't really matter. 

Your post makes it sound as if the success the Orioles are having since May has caught Ownership and Upper Management by surprise.  They were not expecting success at this point and didn't plan for this team to be good.  I'm not so sure that is incorrect.  Now what do we do?

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Can they sustain winning every game? No.   Can they win 85?  I think so.

Hall and Harvey are both ready. Harvey was not supported by the kind of catching pen, and defense that the team has now.  I look for the coaches to help Bradish get some movement on his fastball.  That makes the starting 8 deep.   I think the pen can continue to do well especially with the starters going deeper.

If the O's keep playing well I could see Westburg, Gunnar and Vavra  joining the team in the 2nd half.  Stowers is ready now and Vavra will be ready in about a week.  

I think there is a good chance this is a playoff team if Elias doesn't sell off key player(s) at the deadline.

If you define "good" as "about 10%".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

If the O's keep playing well I could see Westburg, Gunnar and Vavra  joining the team in the 2nd half.  Stowers is ready now and Vavra will be ready in about a week.  

Curious as to why Vavra isn’t ready now but will be in a week?

• Upvote 1