Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

How about the odds of Lopez with 50 career Saves being tendered Arb3?

Now Minnesota won't have financial flexibility to resign Dylan Bundy 1-year, $4mm, and we can get him back.....bwahahahaha!

I think Lopez is a good relief pitcher now and likelier to stay such for a little while more than many others, but beyond the world's Marianos and Haders, year-in, year-out relief aces are few and far between.    Just look at the leaderboards for 2019 and 2022, 2018 and 2021, 2017 and 2020, etc...and see how little repetition there is even across three years.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What would you place the odds on Lopez being better than what he's done so far this year?

How do you define better?  I don’t think his ERA will be better but I also don’t think that means he will have pitched worse either.

I wrote an article 6-8 weeks about how I thought Lopez was going to regress.  My reasons were a K rate that was good but not great, walk rate too high and not missing enough bats.  I felt he would still be a very good reliever but not the 1ish ERA guy he was.

Since then, the K rate has risen and the BB rate has gotten better.  The missed bats number has gotten better but still isn’t ideal.

I think it’s pretty likely, barring any injuries, that he is a sub 3 ERA guy for the next few years.  By that definition, I don’t merely mean his ERA will definitely be under 3, after all, a reliever can have one or 2 bad outings and that effects his ERA in a big way.

But a K rate of 9.5-10.5, a walk rate under 3.5, high GB rate, low HR rate, etc…I think he stays very effective and if he can miss a few more bats, he has elite upside imo.

His FIP right now is 2.99.  That puts him into he area where I think he is.  His WPA is also very high.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How do you define better?  I don’t think his ERA will be better but I also don’t think that means he will have pitched worse either.

I wrote an article 6-8 weeks about how I thought Lopez was going to regress.  My reasons were a K rate that was good but not great, walk rate too high and not missing enough bats.  I felt he would still be a very good reliever but not the 1ish ERA guy he was.

Since then, the K rate has risen and the BB rate has gotten better.  The missed bats number has gotten better but still isn’t ideal.

I think it’s pretty likely, barring any injuries, that he is a sub 3 ERA guy for the next few years.  By that definition, I don’t merely mean his ERA will definitely be under 3, after all, a reliever can have one or 2 bad outings and that effects his ERA in a big way.

But a K rate of 9.5-10.5, a walk rate under 3.5, high GB rate, low HR rate, etc…I think he stays very effective and if he can miss a few more bats, he has elite upside imo.

His FIP right now is 2.99.  That puts him into he area where I think he is.  His WPA is also very high.

You're the one who said this "I believe Lopez can be elite…or at least borderline elite to where he fetches a far better deal than this one".

So how much better do you think he'll be.  What is elite to borderline elite?   You don't think he's elite now.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You're the one who said this "I believe Lopez can be elite…or at least borderline elite to where he fetches a far better deal than this one".

So how much better do you think he'll be.  What is elite to borderline elite?   You don't think he's elite now.

I think he’s elite right now by a pure numbers  standpoint.  

But to be considered elite, you have to do it for more than a few months.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he’s elite right now by a pure numbers  standpoint.  

But to be considered elite, you have to do it for more than a few months.

Elite means super special doesn't it?   So we have at least two elite bullpen arms at least depending on whether they can do it a little bit longer.

Just chatting with a Twins fan.  Thinks it was a fair deal.  We do have lottery tickets but if one works out it will be fine.  Lopez isn't guaranteed to continue this and the Orioles still have Bautista.  O's got 4 players for a rule 5 guy.  (I think he was anyway)  Not bad.

Edited by drdelaware
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elite means super special doesn't it?   So we have at least two elite bullpen arms at least depending on whether they can do it a little bit longer.

Yea.  I think he’s either that or borderline that right now.  Borderline meaning he’s not the best of the best but he’s close and in that next tier.

But yea, I think he has been that good and is trending up, not down.  

Bautista is the same way.

But they need to finish this season and do it again next year before you can truly call them elite.  Have to do it for more than a year.  Their numbers suggest they can and should.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea.  I think he’s either that or borderline that right now.  Borderline meaning he’s not the best of the best but he’s close and in that next tier.

But yea, I think he has been that good and is trending up, not down.  

Bautista is the same way.

But they need to finish this season and do it again next year before you can truly call them elite.  Have to do it for more than a year.  Their numbers suggest they can and should.

I don't consider either elite right now.   Lopez doesn't have great command and Bautista still hangs too many splitters/sliders.

Edited by RZNJ

4 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Based on the López trade, we shouldn’t expect much trading Santander or Lyes. Older pitching prospects mixed with DSL and FCL prospects like Deson.

I wouldn’t trade Lyles, just as I wouldn’t have dealt Lopez.

But Tate and Santander likely won’t see their values any higher than right now.  Gotta move them imo.

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Not everyone in here is in love with the return on this trade but I feel like the consensus is we definitely got back more than “lottery tickets”

I'm calling them lottery tickets but you're right, probably a bit more that that.  4 pitchers with some promise for a guy who routinely had an ERA over 5 or 6.

What has Zach Britton done since being shipped away?

Ok with the deal.

The Mancini one hurt a little but I understood it as well.

Edited by drdelaware

41 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Point of comparison for a reliever trade:

Time out!!!!!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=grosha000jor&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=&utm_medium=referral

This guys is 22 and has a .644 OPS in AAA.   He's got 15 homer runs in 918 PA's in the minors.   In all his time in the minors he has 3 stolen bases.   So, he has no speed, no power, and we're not sure he can hit either.   He's played 39 games at SS but he's also played multiple other positions so it looks like he's being developed as a UTILITY player.   This is the example of what we should be looking to get????????    LOL LOL LOL

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Time out!!!!!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=grosha000jor&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=&utm_medium=referral

This guys is 22 and has a .644 OPS in AAA.   He's got 15 homer runs in 918 PA's in the minors.   In all his time in the minors he has 3 stolen bases.   So, he has no speed, no power, and we're not sure he can hit either.   He's played 39 games at SS but he's also played multiple other positions so it looks like he's being developed as a UTILITY player.   This is the example of what we should be looking to get????????    LOL LOL LOL

Classic case of top 100 prospect syndrome there.