Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

I'm still not sure what to think of this deal and don't know if I will for a year or two. I'm interested to see how Povich does the rest of the season. Between the 6 pitchers acquired so far, I assume at least a couple were targets based on tweaks or changes they think will make a huge difference. Hopefully, one of those is Cano in the majors. He seems to have good stuff to be a solid reliever, but we will see if they can get more out of him. 

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, just getting caught up on this thanks to being in meetings this morning.

My take: Povich is the headliner and although I have not gone and watched him yet (I'll do that tonight) all reports is that he's adding velocity and becoming a guy. A three pitch lefty with a good change can be an effective 4th/5th starter and if his velocity continues to tick up or the Orioles are able to get more out of his change, we have ourselves a future rotation piece. 

Cano is a Cuban so he's a little old but he was dominating AAA with his 95 MPH sinker, slider , changeup combo. I need go watch him but looking quickly at his baseball savant numbers he looks like a guy who misses bats with his slider and changeup but throws his sinker way too much in the middle of the plate. Cano may need to iron some things out, but he has plus movement on his changeup and horizontal movement on the slider. If he can command the sinker better he could very well be another arm in the pen. 

Rojas is a short-lefthander who appears to have plus command and good K numbers while Nunez looks like a short-righthander who could be a late bloomer with crazy K numbers. 

Overall, no huge prospect, but four guys with promise for Lopez. 

Now, I like Lopez as a reliever and I know the Orioles would have had him for wo more seasons. But if there is one thing the Orioles have a lot of is right-hander relievers.

Bautista clearly becomes the closer, Tate fills his role with Krehbiel picking up some of Tate's roles.

This opens a spot, hopefully permanently for Vespi to be another left-handed reliever besides Perez.

So what I see if Elias adding needed pitching depth to the organization for a reliever that we have the "horses" to cover down on. 

I need to go watch Povich video tonight, but if I has the potential to be a middle of the rotation guy or even a 4th guy, that's worth 2 years of Lopez in my mind and when you add in the other potential, I can't be too upset at this trade.

Pretty much agree in general.  Let us know when you get a look at Povich and the other guys.

After hearing how the Orioles' draft works, where Elias gets inputs from everyone about guys they really like, decisions being made only after a lot of debate from a variety of scouts and analysts, I can see the players offered by the various prospective buyers being evaluated the same way. 

I can envision at least 1 or 2 of the guys having been seen by our scouts before, being fought for in previous drafts only to be swiped up by the Twins instead.   I can imagine Luke having analyzed one (or more) of them and pushing hard for them.

And then, I can see Elias looking at where our pipeline stands.  We all know that there are gaps, particularly with pitching.  I just heard them talking about how the Dodgers' farm system is stocked to the point where their second-tier guys are more talent than 75-80% of other organizations' first-tier guys.  The Astros seem to have a strong continuous pipeline feed as well.  I believe that's what he's focused on, especially because he's even said us winning this season has made things harder.  But he's still sticking with his idea of bolstering the farm. 

So I look at this trade as a "sustainability" trade, that we won't know the true outcome of for years, and I believe that's what reclamation projects like Lopez are for.  Don't know how I feel about that.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Just when I thought I was back in, they pushed me back out. Oh well, back to the Ravens, see you again in a few years.

Good lord, another name I thought was gone forever!  Hope to see you again next year :D 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Povich to Aberdeen

Cano to Norfolk

Nunez and Rojas to the FCL 

All per Zachary Silver

Damnit.  My luck at seeing anyone of interest at AA this season continues to suck.  (Bowie in Harrisburg this week.)

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

A three pitch lefty (Povich)

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Rojas is a short-lefthander

The lefty part is huge in OPACY and games in NY too.  The LF wall protects against righty hitters, lefty pitchers is the way to win in OPACY.

• Upvote 1