Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

We shall see .. I do hope we bring back this particular thread in a couple years when any of the return we obtained today actually makes it to the team or doesn’t make it.  Some analysts i have read thus far feel it was maybe short in today’s return value but may pay off in long run , some don’t.. we shall all see how good at trading Elias et al actually are in the next years. 
It does lead me though to expect much less from the team for the rest of 2022. 

Edited by tntoriole

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

No, it means you move him while his stock is at his highest for the most you can get. That's what Elias did. If Povich bombs and none of the other guys work out, then you can say they didn't pick the right guys, but without video scouting any of these guys yet, it looks like enough promise for me for a guy with about 56 innings of quality relief work under his belt.

Personally, I think Elias showed he can build a bullpen from the scraps of other organizations and by converting the right starters to relievers. Who says he can't find another Lopez? Who says he doesn't already have him in the organization?

Totally disagree his stock is at its highest point.

7 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Not really thrilled with the return. We could have done better with another trade partner, in my opinion. Or would have preferred getting only Balazovic or Canterino from the Twins, which wouldn't have been too much to ask. Again, in my opinion.

All of these moves are shrewd and you just don’t see it. 

Remind me again how we’re not punting 2022 oh sage one.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Doolittle gave them an F for the Mancini trade as well. Said he didn’t care if Seth Johnson ended up winning a Cy Young, it would still be an F because the Orioles “owe” the fans a run at the 2022 Wild Card after being so bad for so long. 

I guess on some level, you can understand where he’s coming from, but…kinda looking for a little more professional analysis and a little less pearl-clutching histrionics from my baseball writers.

Exactly. That’s not grading the trade (either of them). His feelings about owing the fans an unrealistic shot at a 3rd wildcard is irrelevant to the value of the trade in either direction. 

• Upvote 2

For the last three or 4 years all we heard on this board was we held into Britton to long we should have traded him early.  The exact same thing witch Schoop and Manny now we trade Lopez and most people are saying why did we trade him so early we could have waited longer.  We were coming off a playoff run in the case for these guys yet many said it doesn’t matter we were not going to compete even with those guys.  Now this year after dreadful years and still at best a slim shot of making playoffs we punted the season.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

For the last three or 4 years all we heard on this board was we held into Britton to long we should have traded him early.  The exact same thing witch Schoop and Manny now we trade Lopez and most people are saying why did we trade him so early we could have waited longer.  We were coming off a playoff run in the case for these guys yet many said it doesn’t matter we were not going to compete even with those guys.  Now this year after dreadful years and still at best a slim shot of making playoffs we punted the season.

Its because Povich is only rated 26th in our system (mlb.com) while Mancini a pending FA DH got us the 8th and 12th prospects in return. Thats why it looks so underwhelming. 

7 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Its because Povich is only rated 26th in our system (mlb.com) while Mancini a pending FA DH got us the 8th and 12th prospects in return. Thats why it looks so underwhelming. 

The rankings and “Future values” have not been adjusted on MLB pipeline since before the season. I think they will adjust that after the draft picks are on the list. 

Overall, Povich has been a big time riser this year and pitches with his left arm. Cano has a chance to be on the level of Khreibel and Tate if he can harness that splitter and his overall arm angle. 

And If we shouldn’t go by rankings currently because Chris Vallimont is ranked higher than Povich on a lot of sites, and that simply isn’t true.

Between the draft and these trades we just added 7-8 pitchers to our top 50, which is getting pretty deep. 

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I look at it as trading trading Lopez 1-1 with the Cuban pitcher.  The other three are pretty much the Bundy return.  We got cheaper, and deeper.  I think we could've held onto Lopez and seen where this season went, and then dealt him in the offseason.  

Elias didn’t/doesn’t care about the record this year.