That's discipline.

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tip of the cap to Mike Elias for sticking to his plan and not letting pollyanna fans think that this is a year they should be going "all in" in an attempt to get a third wild card berth. 

Good to know we've got a GM who's not resting until his plan is complete.  That's discipline and not chasing shiny objects.  Any fans who are pissed off about this will most likely forget how they felt in early August 2022 in a year or so when there's a legit contender on the field.  

Mike, if you're reading, now trade Santander, too.  Keep it going.

I gotta agree with you on this.

Yes it sucks losing these guys while we're playing well and in the middle of the wild card race, but I'm glad Elias is sticking to the game plan.

I'd much rather have this team set up to be competitive the next 5-10 years than roll the dice this year hoping for a wild card.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tip of the cap to Mike Elias for sticking to his plan and not letting pollyanna fans think that this is a year they should be going "all in" in an attempt to get a third wild card berth. 

to know we've got a GM who's not resting until his plan is complete.  That's discipline and not chasing shiny objects.  Any fans who are off about this will most likely forget how they felt in early August 2022 in a year or so when there's a legit contender on the field.  

Elias definitely isnt worried about optics with the Lopez trade. All Star closer with 2.3 years of control traded for 4 unknowns. 

Have to complete the trifecta with Santander now and open up ML spots for prospects. 

I would sooner take Elias taking what's perceived as an iffy deal for Lopez than Duquette re-signing Trumbo to keep a team afloat that was on its way out. And I don't love the deal personally. But I get it. 

Felix is a true closer. The bullpen will be fine. The lineup sans Trey and Santander will be... fine, actually, I think? Or at least interesting. 

Trey and Lopez were glue guys, so it's a shame to remove them from the clubhouse, but there's still Adley and Ced and others. (On this note, if you're fine removing these glue guys, please cut Odor for crying out loud.)

Elias is hardcore. I mentioned in the Lopez thread that they seem to do the math on their plan and then stick to their guns. They don't care what the fans, media, etc., think. Very different than when the Orioles seemed to be sentimental and held onto players too long, signed dumb extensions, etc. They have and will make mistakes, but it seems like Elias et al. won't sit on their hands and not make a move out of fear. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, blid said:

Forget chasing the wild card this season, but if we want to contend for the playoffs next season or the season after, Jorge Lopez would have been very nice to have.

I don't think there's any reason for fans to forget chasing the wild card. We put up 7 runs last night without Trey and with Odor and McKenna in the lineup. Mullins and Mountcastle finally broke out a bit. The bullpen is still very strong. Not a whole lot has changed honestly. Next man up. People have no problem saying this re: the Ravens. The O's finally have some prospects worthy of being the next man up. 

Edited by interloper

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good to know we've got a GM who's not resting until his plan is complete.  That's discipline and not chasing shiny objects.  Any fans who are pissed off about this will most likely forget how they felt in early August 2022 in a year or so when there's a legit contender on the field.  

I don't mind trading Lopez and Mancini but it would be nice to know when the plan is complete.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Elias is hardcore. I mentioned in the Lopez thread that they seem to do the math on their plan and then stick to their guns. They don't care what the fans, media, etc., think. Very different than when the Orioles seemed to be sentimental and held onto players too long, signed dumb extensions, etc. They have and will make mistakes, but it seems like Elias et al. won't sit on their hands and not make a move out of fear. 

I'm fine with that plan as long as the trades actually make sense and not just dealing them cause it's "the plan." 

The return for Lopez seems to be very light but we'll see.

Just now, byrdz said:

What’s the hurry to trade Santander? I guess everyone should be available. But just wondering why his name keeps coming up.

They shipped Lopez out for basically 4 projects that hints more trades could be coming.