Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

Just now, xmichaelx said:

I assume Stowers not being up is a service time issue

If it is, that’s an awful reason.  He is “old”, was a college guy and has put up excellent numbers in the upper minors.

Im skeptical that Stowers will be an above average regular but you need to start finding out.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think Santander / Adley could handle that for a game or two if they needed to.

Adley is too busy most day to play 1B.  Santander played a total of 9 games there in the minors.   Nevin has played 264 games at 1B in the minors and majors.

Stowers isn’t here because we have Hays, Mullins, and Santander and now Vavra.  That’s 4 players for the OF and DH with Rutschman also getting DH AB’s.  No room.   Any promotion of Stowers, Henderson, or Westburg depends on either injury or the release of Rougned Odor which doesn’t seem likely.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Adley is too busy most day to play 1B.  Santander played a total of 9 games there in the minors.   Nevin has played 264 games at 1B in the minors and majors.

It is 1B, if Mountcastle needed extended time off then sure you get someone on the roster with more 1B experience but I don't think Nevin brings enough value to stay on this roster simply because he is the backup 1B.  Would rather have some better bats coming off the bench.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If it is, that’s an awful reason.  He is “old”, was a college guy and has put up excellent numbers in the upper minors.

Im skeptical that Stowers will be an above average regular but you need to start finding out.  

I don’t get why fans are against service time manipulation. It’s a tool that needs to be used to keep control over players so you can keep them on the team or trade them. If we aren’t manipulating service time, we are going to see guys leaving earlier, and it’ll make it harder to build a nucleus of players. Next year, I’ll start to agree with you on this, but not this year. Even with our success so far, I still prefer the approach of looking towards the future because this team isn’t quite ready yet. 

16 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I don’t get why fans are against service time manipulation. It’s a tool that needs to be used to keep control over players so you can keep them on the team or trade them. If we aren’t manipulating service time, we are going to see guys leaving earlier, and it’ll make it harder to build a nucleus of players. Next year, I’ll start to agree with you on this, but not this year. Even with our success so far, I still prefer the approach of looking towards the future because this team isn’t quite ready yet. 

I think SportsGuy is referring to the relatively low probability that the Orioles will benefit at all from manipulating Stowers' service time. For most prospects, the extra year or so that you get really won't mean anything. Are the Orioles really going to want to pay Stowers market rates when he's 31 or 32 years old? That's very unlikely. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

It’s a valuable tool for a few players.  Most of the time, it’s not valuable.  Stowers isn’t a guy you manipulate.  Are you really waiting until next May or so to call him up?

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't care if Nevin has played 264 games at first, he still sucks.

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think SportsGuy is referring to the relatively low probability that the Orioles will benefit at all from manipulating Stowers' service time. For most prospects, the extra year or so that you get really won't mean anything. Are the Orioles really going to want to pay Stowers market rates when he's 31 or 32 years old? That's very unlikely. 

Sure, but that extra year of service time would make him more valuable in a trade. I just like seeing us min/maxing the talent we have and getting the most value from it. It may not amount to anything, but I’m not sure there’s much value in bringing him up early either. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a valuable tool for a few players.  Most of the time, it’s not valuable.  Stowers isn’t a guy you manipulate.  Are you really waiting until next May or so to call him up?

Why wouldn’t you want to manipulate all players? Isn’t that the best way to get the maximum value from them? An extra year of control either keeps them around longer or gives them more value if traded. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Why Phillips?  Here is my guess.

Hays is going on the IL.    He has been hit on the wrist several times and hurt it diving in the outfield.   Over the last 15 days he is hitting 158/250/211/461.

Hays is a 5 tool player when he is healthy but he does try to play hurt and his production suffers.   The O's have a huge left field to cover and they want a speedy outfielder to fill in while Hays  is on the IL.

Hyde will still want a speedy outfielder to be a defensively replacement for Santander.  McKenna has been filling that role.

Vavra is the DH.  He has average speed.   No where close to the speed of Phillips.

The O's have been winning over the last 15 days even with Hays not hitting.  So playing Phillips should not keep the O's from winning.

This is a decent guess. But even so, why not just play Stowers? He has solid speed and there's no reason he can't handle LF at Camden Yards.