Why Didn't the O's Trade Santander?

Aristotelian

For some reason Santander is still worth more to the Orioles than to the rest of the league despite him getting more expensive next year and the O's loaded with OF prospects. Possible explanations:

1. Return wasn't there. 

2. They are looking to contend in '23, and he will provide stability in the lineup. They don't fully trust Stowers/Vavra/Diaz. Without Mancini now, we need a reliable bat. 

3. They think he will continue to build trade value beyond his arbitration raise. 

4. Same as 3 but they are dumb and missed an opportunity to sell at peak value. 

I am thinking a combination of 1 and 2.

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

For some reason Santander is still worth more to the Orioles than to the rest of the league despite him getting more expensive next year and the O's loaded with OF prospects. Possible explanations:

1. Return wasn't there. 

2. They are looking to contend in '23, and he will provide stability in the lineup. They don't fully trust Stowers/Vavra/Diaz. Without Mancini now, we need a reliable bat. 

3. They think he will continue to build trade value beyond his arbitration raise. 

I'm gonna say 1 mostly with a little bit of 3 as well. I just don't think the return was good enough, that may be the case with more than Santander as well.

53 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

1. Return wasn't there. 

I think it’s probably 1 and 2, but I am also not convinced that he should be traded instead of Hays or perhaps Mountcastle. I posted different stats in a different post and don’t want to rehash them all here, but Santander leads the team in wRC+. He has better offensive numbers across the board than Hays in terms of xBA, xSLG, BB%, etc. They both have been worth -6 OAA. Santander has a better approach. He has 1 year less of control and is 7 months older. Both have had their share of injuries. Santander fits the current dimensions of Camden Yards better as a switch hitter. If you want to move an outfielder (or Mountcastle because I’m confident Santander can play first and he has experience there in the minors with Cleveland), why not wait until the off-season when more teams may be in the market. See who brings you the best return relative to expected production. Keeping Santander might make the most sense because his bat is likely to be among the best on the team. 

• Upvote 1

The OFers that moved were largely fill ins outside Soto.  I would rank Santanders trade value above:

Peralta, Hader, Marsh, Merrifield, Grossman, Pham, Siri, Naquin, and Benintendi

With Benintendi being the closest in value and having been traded a werk ago by a team completely out of contention.  So I completely understand why the Orioles didn't trade Santander, it would be a more complex trade negotiation than the deadline allowed for.

I'm guessing nobody offered enough for an outfielder with inconsistent performance and an injury history for Elias to think it was worth pulling the trigger. And I'm fine with that. We're well past the point where we trade everybody for lottery tickets because we're desperate to acquire long-term talent

25 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Glad we still have him. I still think his  career is on a Joey Bautista trajectory.

I see him having 40+ homer seasons

Switch hitter with 40 HR's and solid defensive RF'er, I think he is part of the O's future.

Do you think he's a solid defensive outfielder?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

1. Return wasn't there. 

Nice Post.

My problem with 1. response and return.

I might be in the minority here, but I didnt like the return for Trey or Lopez.

So its hard to image, they were expecting too much for Santander

5 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

It could be because right now he's our best hitter.  He's likely the team MVP.  He can hit left and we have a shortage of left handed hitters, let alone left handed power.  He isn't a bad outfielder.

OPS is .800

He’s the guy who is hot at the moment, not the team MVP IMO.  That will be decided two months from now, and IMO it’s likely that Rutschman will deserve the honor, though I’m not sure the media will give it to a rookie who was only on the team 3/4 of the year.   

I don't think that Elias wants to "punt" 2022, he just values building a lasting winner over that fairly small chance we'll grab a WC this year. He does want to win this year and Santander and Lyles are not easily replaceable on this team. Mancini is a .270-hitting DH with middling power and will be a FA in two months. Lopez is a reliever, and all-star closer or not he's still a one-inning guy which is replaceable. It's also likely that he wasn't offered anything good for Santander and Lyles but I think he was happy to keep those guys and excited to get six pitchers for Trey and Jorge.

Our chances this year are relatively unaffected but we've bolstered our minor league arms for the future.