When we "lift off", who should they be trying to acquire?

Sports Guy

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

My dream for Aaron Judge is that some team (not us) goes nuts and pays him WAY more than he’ll be worth.   He’s a great player having a career year at the perfect time (for him).  He’ll end up getting 3-5 years more than his actual productive life.  

And my dream is that that team is the New York Yankees, though Cashman doing the PR move of releasing details this spring hurts the relationship.     I suppose Cashman could get deep Zen master credit if it was all calculated to put the chip on his shoulder that is devastating the American League.     Mostly I think Clubs only go to the bother of trying to make Players look bad with that amount of detail when they suspect somewhat strongly the relationship is nearing an end.

Complacent Judge on the 2023-2032 Yankees payroll would be all kinds of wonderful.

BLUF - O’s really need two quality starting pitchers. I’d like a FA signing of Carlos Rodon and one of the following:

Chris Bassitt

Justin Verlander

Jacob deGrom (if he can make it through the rest of the year without getting injured again)

Adding a comparable starter via a trade would be fine too.  I’d probably bring back Lyles as a #4/5 starter, whether it’s exercising the option or bringing him back on a new contract (depends on how he finishes out the season). 

7 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I’m not entirely sure of all the rules for MLB contracts, but I wonder if we could sign some starting pitchers to front loaded contracts so the hit is bigger now while our payroll is low, but cheaper later so we will have room in the payroll to resign guys. 

Front loading is just an accounting trick. It does seem more rational to pay for expected performance but for a team that is in business for the long term, all that matters is the total dollar amount. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the pitchers I was hoping the O's would trade for at the deadline, Snell, has been pitching much better of late.  6 shutout innings w/ 10 K's today.  I can't imagine the Padres trading him, since their starting pitching seems thin for next year.  Was probably a lot more possible when he looked like a 5th starter kind of guy.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

One of the pitchers I was hoping the O's would trade for at the deadline, Snell, has been pitching much better of late.  6 shutout innings w/ 10 K's today.  I can't imagine the Padres trading him, since their starting pitching seems thin for next year.  Was probably a lot more possible when he looked like a 5th starter kind of guy.

Yep.  And that positive “regression” was foreseeable in his stats.  It’s not a fluke.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:02 PM, jdwilde1 said:

BLUF - O’s really need two quality starting pitchers. I’d like a FA signing of Carlos Rodon and one of the following:

Chris Bassitt

Justin Verlander

Jacob deGrom (if he can make it through the rest of the year without getting injured again)

Adding a comparable starter via a trade would be fine too.  I’d probably bring back Lyles as a #4/5 starter, whether it’s exercising the option or bringing him back on a new contract (depends on how he finishes out the season). 

Syndergaard

Snell today, I was at Nationals Park for a kids event.   My main takeaway was the infrastructure by the gate you come in by the garage where they have 20 foot tall baseball card type pictures of the Starting Lineup, they didn't have the appropriate portraits for like 5 of the 9 guys in the lineup.     Victor Robles was still batting 9th though.

Hopefully we don't flub either of the two games we have left with WAS.    Do we still get our six with them no matter what with the rebalanced schedule next year?    Those could be handy for 2023-2024 wildcard (or better!) races if the other 159 games are mostly the same for everyone.    I believe all AL teams will have 3 next year with all NL teams, so only games 4-5-6 would be different.

Now that the Padres have held Snell, still have the free agencies of Manaea and Clevinger looming, and Gore gone, his theoretical availability has probably plummeted.

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Snell today, I was at Nationals Park for a kids event.   My main takeaway was the infrastructure by the gate you come in by the garage where they have 20 foot tall baseball card type pictures of the Starting Lineup, they didn't have the appropriate portraits for like 5 of the 9 guys in the lineup.     Victor Robles was still batting 9th though.

Hopefully we don't flub either of the two games we have left with WAS.    Do we still get our six with them no matter what with the rebalanced schedule next year?    Those could be handy for 2023-2024 wildcard (or better!) races if the other 159 games are mostly the same for everyone.    I believe all AL teams will have 3 next year with all NL teams, so only games 4-5-6 would be different.

Now that the Padres have held Snell, still have the free agencies of Manaea and Clevinger looming, and Gore gone, his theoretical availability has probably plummeted.

ERA down to 3.66.  Was well over 5 and people here were saying how he’s not good anymore.  

105 Ks in 78.2 IP.  But yea, he’s not as valuable as Santander!  Lol