Updated Baseball America Top 100 List Out-Post Draft (Gunnar #1)

ManciniFan

Ortiz could be top 100 in theory at the end of this season, but that'll require like zero drop off from what he's been doing since July. Even then it's a big jump for the rankers to make, even if the O's internally know he's made development that would warrant it.

I similarly think Mayo would have a shot, but it's probably just too late no matter what he does. He's a next year guy, IMO.

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Keith Law had him rated highly before the season and the Orioles were obviously very high on him before and during last season.  To me, his now hot 5 weeks is just confirming that they were right.  Sure, let's wait another 5 weeks.  

I see this list as being based on merit more than anything. I don’t think Ortiz’s hot month would supersede the rest of his season. I do think this version more closely resembles the player we should expect going forward, but probably doesn’t warrant being a Top 100 player yet. 

Baseball America 

With a true five-tool skill set and some of the gaudiest numbers in the minor leagues, Henderson is a well-rounded talent who checks the production, projection and analytical boxes. His ability to make consistent hard contact, hit for plus power in games while also owning some of the best strike-zone discipline in the minor leagues has rocketed him to the top of the list. A strong candidate for minor league player of the year, Henderson was promoted to Triple-A by early June just weeks before his 21st birthday and has drawn praise from scouts and opposing coaches who called him the best player in both the International League and the Double-A Eastern League. Beyond his prowess at the plate, Henderson is an above-average defensive shortstop with a plus arm capable of making difficult throws. He has speed on the basepaths and plays a heads-up style of baseball. With few holes in his game and prodigious production, Henderson could be on the cusp of stardom.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Baseball America 

With a true five-tool skill set and some of the gaudiest numbers in the minor leagues, Henderson is a well-rounded talent who checks the production, projection and analytical boxes. His ability to make consistent hard contact, hit for plus power in games while also owning some of the best strike-zone discipline in the minor leagues has rocketed him to the top of the list. A strong candidate for minor league player of the year, Henderson was promoted to Triple-A by early June just weeks before his 21st birthday and has drawn praise from scouts and opposing coaches who called him the best player in both the International League and the Double-A Eastern League. Beyond his prowess at the plate, Henderson is an above-average defensive shortstop with a plus arm capable of making difficult throws. He has speed on the basepaths and plays a heads-up style of baseball. With few holes in his game and prodigious production, Henderson could be on the cusp of stardom.

I think that's the first I've heard above-average shortstop.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Baseball America 

But does he have a good baseball name?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall him being considered a reach or having dropped.

I think he was selected right about where expected.

I remember someone saying the O's got a first round talent and replying, yea, first pick of the second round that sounds about right.

His slot value at 42 was $1.77 mm and we paid him $2.3 mm, which was about slot value for the 31-32 spot.  

To Gunnar now being proclaimed an above average SS by BA and a potential gold glover at 3rd by KLaw, this screams to me about just how superior his mental makeup and drive improve and to be the best player on the field is. 

He heard the whispers a couple years ago that he would probably have to move off SS and maybe off the left side of the infield entirely. I don’t think that set well with him and clearly he’s put in the work, and then some, to quiet his critics. 

Happy times in Birdland!

• Upvote 1