Updated Baseball America Top 100 List Out-Post Draft (Gunnar #1)

ManciniFan

It's interesting to note that Gunnar has basically split his time at 3B and SS fairly evenly coming up until his Norfolk time where's he's started 44 games at SS and only 17 games at 3B. His .947 FLD% in Norfolk at SS is the best of his career and significantly better than Oneil Cruz's was in AAA (.918%) this year before he came up. Henderson also has a better Range factor than Cruz.

So it's pretty clear to me that Henderson is can handle SS at this juncture in his career as long as you are willing to see the occasional misplay when he's moving. His hands aren't super coming in on balls and he gets caught in between hops sometimes, but he's got all the tools to keep improving in this areas.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's interesting to note that Gunnar has basically split his time at 3B and SS fairly evenly coming up until his Norfolk time where's he's started 44 games at SS and only 17 games at 3B. His .947 FLD% in Norfolk at SS is the best of his career and significantly better than Oneil Cruz's was in AAA (.918%) this year before he came up. Henderson also has a better Range factor than Cruz.

So it's pretty clear to me that Henderson is can handle SS at this juncture in his career as long as you are willing to see the occasional misplay when he's moving. His hands aren't super coming in on balls and he gets caught in between hops sometimes, but he's got all the tools to keep improving in this areas.

When he speaks about his hitting he seems very in tune with what his strengths and weaknesses are and what adjustments to make.  If he’s the same way about defense I suspect he’ll put the time in and make the needed improvements.  It seems almost universal now that he can, at the very least, be an average ML SS.

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I’m honestly surprised Cowser is that low. Hasn’t been in AA for a ton of games but he is absolutely raking.

His poor start is likely the reason.  Remember, he had fallen off of these lists.  If he keeps this up and gets to AAA and plays well, he will go much higher by the offseason imo.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

4 of his first 5 picks

Rutschman 

Henderson

Stowers

Ortiz

Yes it might be the best Oriole draft ever in time if we get some luck.   78 with Larry Sheets and Ripken was nice.   But this could end up being better.  Fingers crossed.

16 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Yes it might be the best Oriole draft ever in time if we get some luck.   78 with Larry Sheets and Ripken was nice.   But this could end up being better.  Fingers crossed.

Probably gonna need a Hall of Famer in that class to have any chance of approaching Cal’s 92.5 career fWAR. 

• Upvote 1

in 2019, Gunnar was mocked in the bottom half of the first round pretty consistently.  Dropping to 42 was pretty fortuitous.  

As much as we're amped about Adley, I think Gunnar and Grayson will be better (health, etc., etc.)

I get the impression the national outlets aren't sure what to do with Cowser or Westburg.  Cowser is clearly my favorite and it's a pretty good gap, IMO.  

I'm glad Hall remained fairly stable (think he was in the 40's previously), but I have to imagine there are some cracks in the foundation.

Not to derail the OP:  How did those in the 2022 draft slot in?  Who (if any) were ahead of Holliday and where?