Jordan Lyles 2023?

wildcard

1 minute ago, DenaOsHon said:

Trade for Lopez, sign someone like Martin Perez or Mike Clevinger and keep Lyles. Add Means, Grayson, Wells, Bradish, Watkins, Kremer and maybe Hall. That is some great depth which we will need to compete.

Too much depth isn’t always a good thing.  

Give me Clevinger, Lopez, GRod, Hall and Wells.  Bradish and Kremer go to the pen but could start if/when needed. And then you have Means later.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Too much depth isn’t always a good thing.  

Give me Clevinger, Lopez, GRod, Hall and Wells.  Bradish and Kremer go to the pen but could start if/when needed. And then you have Means later.

I just assume someone will get hurt or not perform so having Lyles is a safety net especially with Grayson and Hall most likely being on a innings limit next year.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Package Akin in a trade and make Hall your LH Akin in the pen

Why would you immediately go to the pen with the most talented and highest ceiling pitcher you have?

He certainly may end up in the role but it would be completely stupid to not give him a chance to start in 2023.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Why would you immediately go to the pen with the most talented and highest ceiling pitcher you have?

He certainly may end up in the role but it would be completely stupid to not give him a chance to start in 2023.

I think he has been given that opportunity in Norfolk. We have seen the results.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

While I'm not against giving Hall a chance to continue to start, I also would not be against easing him into the major league in an Akin role. I don't think doing that is necessarily "stupid."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Should the O's pick up his option if he continues to pitch the way he has for the reason of the season.   Let say his season stats are:

13-12,  33 starts, 4.35 ERA,  195 IP,   217 H,   1.44 WHIP

Should the O's  pick up his 11m option for next season?

Yes absolutely 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

While I'm not against giving Hall a chance to continue to start, I also would not be against easing him into the major league in an Akin role. I don't think doing that is necessarily "stupid."

On one hand the guy says how valuable Lopez is, and trading him was stupid because it prevents the team from winning. On the other, he wants to roll out a guy every fifth game who can't consistently complete 3 minor league innings.
I'm pretty sure one makes a lot more impact in the W/L record than than the other.

They need to get better starters in here.  

I would roll my eyes if they whiffed on other starters and had to bring Lyles back.  As pleasant as a surprise as he's been (by not being completely terrible) I am wondering if we're catching lightning in a bottle for one year though.  As noted, his ERA at home with the deep wall is way different than what's been posted on the road.

That stat alone should be a good recruiting tool for whatever FA pitchers are out there.  

So anyway, count me in the "no" camp for bringing him back in 2023 but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

On one hand the guy says how valuable Lopez is, and trading him was stupid because it prevents the team from winning. On the other, he wants to roll out a guy every fifth game who can't consistently complete 3 minor league innings.
I'm pretty sure one makes a lot more impact in the W/L record than than the other.

Since they started to let him pitch deeper in games, he has failed to complete 3 innings twice.  One was the first outing after the break, which he was supposed to go only 1 inning and the next start where he got rocked in .2 IP.

In fact, even before they started letting him go deeper in games, he never failed to complete 3 innings.  

I also never said that if we trade Lopez, that it prevents us from winning.

But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of poor posts.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Since they started to let him pitch deeper in games, he has failed to complete 3 innings twice.  One was the first outing after the break, which he was supposed to go only 1 inning and the next start where he got rocked in .2 IP.

In fact, even before they started letting him go deeper in games, he never failed to complete 3 innings.  

But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of things.

Tell me about his last 3 starts.