DL Hall to be optioned to AAA and turned into a reliever for the rest of season?

Gurgi

Isn’t Hall on an innings limit? I think this is a way to avoid shutting him down for the season and finding a way for him to contribute to the team during a push to get into the playoffs. It’s also probably a better role for him at this point, similar to what we did with Kevin Gausman when he first broke in. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 2

I'm trying to remember. Wasn't Jonathan Papelbon a highly touted starter before he was brought up to help the Red Sox in the bullpen. I vaguely remember them still planning on making him a starter, but ultimately kept him in the closing role after finding success. Coulda been injury related though. Been awhile. 

Edited by PHRESH

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Who said or implied this?

Hyde said that Hall would be optioned to Norfolk and would be a reliever till the end of the season.  He said in the hope Hall would be able to come back THIS season and help us in the pennant run.  Hyde said it himself.

Just now, Gurgi said:

Hyde said that Hall would be optioned to Norfolk and would be a reliever till the end of the season.  He said in the hope Hall would be able to come back THIS season and help us in the pennant run.  Hyde said it himself.

Didn't see the quote about being a "high leverage" reliever 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Didn't see the quote about being a "high leverage" reliever 

That part was my imagination.  Probably what they are thinking.  No other reason to change him to reliever for the pennant run.  They want to use the 14+ K's per 9 innings.  They want him for a clutch position where men are on base with two outs in the seventh inning and we need a K.  

Guys, this isn’t difficult.  He only has about 20 innings left for the season.  He’s going to go down and throw some of those innings in Norfolk.  They want him to continue to learn up here and this is the best way to keep him here.

Now, what role he will be in is interesting.  Personally, I would like to see him stay a starter but be more of an opener.  Pitch 1-2 innings.  This way he stays in that starter routine.  

But ultimately, it doesn’t matter that much as it’s just a short stint doing this. He’s a starter long term for sure…until he shows otherwise, if he ever does.

• Upvote 3

I don't care about the reliever stuff. Ultimately he doesn't have enough inning left this season to start for the rest of the way, so whether they move him into a relief role or an opener role doesn't matter to me, hopefully he will come in with clean innings regardless.

The dumb part is optioning him to do it. They already didn't give him the best chance to succeed today by not starting Adley at catcher and now they are going to burn some of his available innings at Norfolk and perhaps shake his confidence by sending him down quickly? Seems dumb and counter productive. He needs to figure things out here.

Hopefully this plan was laid out to Hall before today.

I figured they would move him to relief down the stretch anyway rather it be in Norfolk or Baltimore.  My only confusion is why bring him up for one start here and have to option Vespi who has been good in the pen for the most part.  Now we not only had Hall start a game many don’t think he was ready for but also hurt the bullpen for 10 days with having a reliever who wasn’t pitching as good as Vespi was up here.  It will be interesting who they do recall with Hall going back down.   Sulser and Garcia pitched today so they are out.  Baumann had been pitching well til Friday night disaster.  Cano has been terrible since coming over in trade.