Elias’ Amazing Quote

ManciniFan

Why the skepticism? I don't doubt ME or his words, I don't trust John A to open the checkbook. Why? MASN litigation, years of mismanagement, "small market", and now the Angelos family feud. I think someone here estimated Arb could cost about $17M in 2023 and Lyles cost $7M in FA so IMO out significant FA acquisition will be over $7M but less than $20M and that satisfies the words ME used an likely leaves us with about a $50M payroll in 2023. Until John A says otherwise, IMO, that is the range for 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWall said:

How is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you don't even know that GRod has been hurt for months now? 

This board is so funny. You guys wonder why you have the same 20 posters argue back & forth? You guys just like to hurl insults at one another, so much anger. Have at it.

I was referencing how he was dominating before the injury and wasn’t recalled despite the need. He was filthy. Should have been recalled a good 2 weeks a month before the injury.

So before your hurl insults, maybe clarify? Just a thought.  

Edited by ManciniFan

2 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

This sure doesn’t seem like a GM that is worried about ownership putting restrictions on his plan. He’s either a huge idiot or he has complete confidence that he can do what he wants to do.  And nothing about what he’s done over the past few years says he’s an idiot.

I agree. Very promising just don’t get all the “big talk”  when they have been slow to promote within now, when we have a shot at the wildcard. I mean, Nevin & Phillips are both on the roster (I  don’t share the 24/7 bashing of Odor that almost seems mandatory for this board. The vitriol at Odor that everyone shares on here doesn’t seem healthy ha ha, just think he should be a pt player). 

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, the skepticism on here makes me laugh.  It has been obvious all along that Elias planned to cut payroll while the team was bad, then ramp it back up as the team was getting good.  This is Rebuilding 101.   And Elias pretty much said exactly what he’d do, and he’s done it.   So why be skeptical now?

Because actions matter?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ManciniFan said:

This board is so funny. You guys wonder why you have the same 20 posters argue back & forth? You guys just like to hurl insults at one another, so much anger. Have at it.

I was referencing how he was dominating before the injury and wasn’t recalled despite the need. He was filthy. Should have been recalled a good 2 weeks a month before the injury.

So before your hurl insults, maybe clarify? Just a thought.  

He pitched 56 innings at AAA after only pitching 103 innings last year between high A and AA last year. Did you really think they were going to promote him after a handful of starts? 

I disagree with the OP. Young pitchers are no certain upgrade, even a Grayson or DL. They take time. Grayson has been injured, and the word was he was about to come up when he got the lat, so the criticism seems misguided. 

I do believe Gunnar will be a star at some point soon, but it’s a lot to ask a 21 year old to come into a playoff race. Manny was an exceptional defender, but the bat was not ready yet. He was simply our best in-house option because they had no other resources to deal for a veteran 3B.

I am not at all convinced on Stowers yet. He has a chance to be a solid, if unspectacular, ML regular OF. He will need an adjustment period, and doing that in a playoff race is not a great time.

I would argue that Lyles has pitched very well and that he was not overpaid. But you are entitled to your opinion. He has brought great veteran leadership and a penchant for eating innings. They would not be in the WC race without him. And the mentoring he does for the younger pitchers is of great value as well. 

With all of the good things going on right now, the OP just seemed like a needless shot at Elias, who is trying to build excitement in the fanbase for the remainder of the season and the coming years. It was a very bold statement for Elias, who has been usually much more reserved. And somehow that made you critical of him when we are having an exciting year with a vastly unheralded roster.

Please, keep posting. Just don’t expect everyone to agree with you. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

I disagree with the OP. Young pitchers are no certain upgrade, even a Grayson or DL. They take time. Grayson has been injured, and the word was he was about to come up when he got the lat, so the criticism seems misguided. 

I do believe Gunnar will be a star at some point soon, but it’s a lot to ask a 21 year old to come into a playoff race. Manny was an exceptional defender, but the bat was not ready yet. He was simply our best in-house option because they had no other resources to deal for a veteran 3B.

I am not at all convinced on Stowers yet. He has a chance to be a solid, if unspectacular, ML regular OF. He will need an adjustment period, and doing that in a playoff race is not a great time.

I would argue that Lyles has pitched very well and that he was not overpaid. But you are entitled to your opinion. He has brought great veteran leadership and a penchant for eating innings. They would not be in the WC race without him. And the mentoring he does for the younger pitchers is of great value as well. 

With all of the good things going on right now, the OP just seemed like a needless shot at Elias, who is trying to build excitement in the fanbase for the remainder of the season and the coming years. It was a very bold statement for Elias, who has been usually much more reserved. And somehow that made you critical of him when we are having an exciting year with a vastly unheralded roster.

Please, keep posting. Just don’t expect everyone to agree with you. 

Thanks for the respectful response! I love Elias! I am typing from my phone and long detailed explanations aren’t easy! I guess I am thinking out loud: why talk all big about making a splash next season? Not sure how old you are but remember Angelos saying that year after year? Maybe it is PTSD. 

Also, “dominating” seems to be a bit cocky and slightly unrealistic , no?  Particularly given the ownership quagmire. 

52 minutes ago, ManciniFan said:

Thanks for the respectful response! I love Elias! I am typing from my phone and long detailed explanations aren’t easy! I guess I am thinking out loud: why talk all big about making a splash next season? Not sure how old you are but remember Angelos saying that year after year? Maybe it is PTSD. 

Also, “dominating” seems to be a bit cocky and slightly unrealistic , no?  Particularly given the ownership quagmire. 

Elias is not Angelos, not even close.

My estimate of the 2023 payroll before any FA or trades.

Santander   7m

Mullins 4M

Mateo   3M

Hays  3M

Means  2.95M  already signed

Tate    2M

Voth   2M

Chirinos  1M

18 players times 700K =   12.6M

Total               36.55M

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias isn’t the concern.

But honestly, do you really think he would spout off like this if he didn’t have 100% confidence he could deliver? I mean, I get the historical “Angelos sucks” angle, but why in the hell would he say this and put himself in jeopardy of looking like a fool when that is completely against his M.O.

I don’t get it.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

But honestly, do you really think he would spout off like this if he didn’t have 100% confidence he could deliver? I mean, I get the historical “Angelos sucks” angle, but why in the hell would he say this and put himself in jeopardy of looking like a fool when that is completely against his M.O.

I don’t get it.

He always uses caveats like we are going to try.  That’s not a lie. I believe they will.  Whether he can go the extra mile to sign legit, difference making players, who knows.

They May sign some non needle moving guys like Lyles.  I’m talking about real talent.

Edited by Sports Guy

7 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

This sure doesn’t seem like a GM that is worried about ownership putting restrictions on his plan. He’s either a huge idiot or he has complete confidence that he can do what he wants to do.  And nothing about what he’s done over the past few years says he’s an idiot.

I hope so!  Because that’s my biggest worry for the team.