2023 Rotation

Bahama O's Fan

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The rotation needs help at the top.  Obviously the O's need someone to soak up innings, but they also need someone to front a rotation for a potential playoff series.  I like Lyles and respect what he did this year, but there's no way I want him starting game 1 in the playoffs.

My personal choice would be Bassitt.  I'm sure there are several starters that would fit what the O's need: dependable, fits in Camden Yards (someone help by Camden wall easier to sign), leader mentor, above average in innings pitched, WHIP, FIP, etc. 

I think it's two.  One is a must, ie Lyles type.  But the second needs to run in a similar upside TOR fashion, like Rodon or even Clevinger, who I'm farther down on.

Then you can roll with Kremer/Bradish/GRod with Hall in the minors as first man up, and Wells back to the pen as long man.  After that you'd have decisions with Voth and Watkins.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, Sports Guy said:

It’s one of the biggest decisions of the offseason.  Who do you believe is for real and who isn’t and how much are you willing to bet on these guys in a year where you absolutely should be a real contender?

I'm not certain that this issue has been given enough attention by many of us on this board. This will be an off season where there is money to spend and a number of near ready or MLB ready prospects who need to be sorted out. There are many pieces of data available to the FO that are not immediately available to the average poster on the OH. As many a wise poster has pointed out, this is where Elias and the braintrust can separate themselves from the other FO types in baseball. This is where their job gets really difficult.

12 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

My personal choice would be Bassitt.  I'm sure there are several starters that would fit what the O's need: dependable, fits in Camden Yards (someone help by Camden wall easier to sign), leader mentor, above average in innings pitched, WHIP, FIP, etc. 

If you're thinking Bassitt, I'd also consider free agents Tyler Anderson and Jose Quintana. 

I you're going the trade route, Shane Bieber and Merrill Kelly might be available for a reasonable prospect package. 

6 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I'm not certain that this issue has been given enough attention by many of us on this board. This will be an off season where there is money to spend and a number of near ready or MLB ready prospects who need to be sorted out. There are many pieces of data available to the FO that are not immediately available to the average poster on the OH. As many a wise poster has pointed out, this is where Elias and the braintrust can separate themselves from the other FO types in baseball. This is where their job gets really difficult.

It’s the biggest issue for the offseason And I don’t think anything is particularly close.

You have so many “out of nowhere” guys on this roster. Several members of the pen, the rotation, Mateo and even to a certain extent Santander (because he has been healthy for once).

How many of these guys do you really want to rely on?  The other side to that is, how can you not rely on so many of them when so many of these guys have stats that project them out to be solid contributors.

Its why I think the top end of the roster has to be upgraded.  When you have more elite talent at the top, it can hide some of the issues in the bottom half of the roster, if any of those issues arise.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the biggest issue for the offseason And I don’t think anything is particularly close.

You have so many “out of nowhere” guys on this roster. Several members of the pen, the rotation, Mateo and even to a certain extent Santander (because he has been healthy for once).

How many of these guys do you really want to rely on?  The other side to that is, how can you not rely on so many of them when so many of these guys have stats that project them out to be solid contributors.

Its why I think the top end of the roster has to be upgraded.  When you have more elite talent at the top, it can hide some of the issues in the bottom half of the roster, if any of those issues arise.

Couple what you just said with the idea that there is not an unlimited stash of cash to spend, a recent longterm contract that went horribly wrong (Chris Davis I'm talkin' 'bout you!) and the Angelos Family's recent invitation to appear on Jerry Springer and you have a very tricky situation for Elias and company. A little bit like walking a tight rope without a net.

2 hours ago, 7Mo said:

If you're thinking Bassitt, I'd also consider free agents Tyler Anderson and Jose Quintana. 

I you're going the trade route, Shane Bieber and Merrill Kelly might be available for a reasonable prospect package. 

I would guess that Bieber would cost a lot more in prospects than Kelly.  Would Bieber be any cheaper than Burnes? 

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would guess that Bieber would cost a lot more in prospects than Kelly.  Would Bieber be any cheaper than Burnes

I would guess Burnes would be a very high prospect cost and less so for Bieber. 

I'm hoping the "toward the TOR pitcher" is acquired with money rather than prospects. But Burnes is really good.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm ok with Bradish as the O's #2 for 2023.  What he has showed since he has been called up has been great. 

I want Bradish as my #4 next year behind a rookie G Rod and two high-end acquisitions.  That’s the plan they’ve been spouting and it’s time to see it in action. 

8 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I say acquire 2, 1 through trade, 1 through FA

Then add grayrod, bradish, and kremer

Add Hall and Wells to the bullpen with baker, tate, Bautista, Perez, Voth, and akin/vespi

This.  Plus a solid bullpen piece.  A Britton reunion and return to brilliance would be fun. 

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

This.  Plus a solid bullpen piece.  A Britton reunion and return to brilliance would be fun. 

Don’t get the need for a Britton reunion, outside of nostalgia. He’s older and declining and will cost more than most of our bullpen guys. Elias has shown the talent to get bullpen pieces with minimal cost through waiver wire and minor trades. Money is best spent on starting pitching!