Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s just be honest CoC, we’ll find a reason to keep him down a couple of weeks next year. Put the tin foil hat on… maybe that’s why we’re playing him at other positions so next year we can say he still needs a little bit more PT at XYZ positions. 

We’re getting revved thinking he’s playing 2B to move Odor off his starting role, when really we’re setting up an not so blatant excuse for him starting in the minors next year. 

I’ll bet we don’t delay his debut next year.  The new rules provide enough incentive to bring up a guy with ROY potential right away, and if they expect to. Intend next year, they have every reason to want their best team on the field all season.   

1 minute ago, dzorange said:

Fangraphs has the Orioles at a 4.5% chance of making the playoffs.

There's no real reason to wait to call him up in terms of losing service time. In terms of timing, I'd say the timing/PR is pretty good right now with Stowers hitting that HR last night. But they could wait until after the weekend.

What service time are you losing?

Isn't the sensible gamble to try for the draft pick and not get burned like it looks like he will with Adley?

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Honestly, I think we’re in a position where we have to win to get Gunnar up here. Even a 3-3 road trip probably costs us ground in the WC. We’re going to have to play out of our minds these next 6 to get Gunnar up here. Maybe if we take the 1st game in Houston tonight. 

What do the analytics say about being 2.5GB with 38 remaining?  Given the schedules. Probably not good and not good enough for Elias to give up a year of control. A 4-2, 5-1 road trip could change that. 

I really think the draft picks for ROY change that calculation. Gunnar would not be a sure thing to win it but if he came up now he'd be eligible with a great shot and the upside may be even more valuable than the extra year. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I really think the draft picks for ROY change that calculation. Gunnar would not be a sure thing to win it but if he came up now he'd be eligible with a great shot and the upside may be even more valuable than the extra year. 

I don't thinks the draft pick alone does.

I think the added risk of him getting the full year of service time anyway does.

I think Elias would value the seventh year over the draft pick.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll bet we don’t delay his debut next year.  The new rules provide enough incentive to bring up a guy with ROY potential right away, and if they expect to. Intend next year, they have every reason to want their best team on the field all season.   

I think the new rules help and also the outlook for your upcoming season plays a factor in these decisions.  Now they believe they can compete and win next season.  I think the GM will want to put the best team out there for the entire season.

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

I think the new rules help and also the outlook for your upcoming season plays a factor in these decisions.  Now they believe they can compete and win next season.  I think the GM will want to put the best team out there for the entire season.

I think so too, and getting in 100+ PA this year can only help him next year, so I think we’ll see a promotion soon.  But I’ve been wrong before.  

• Upvote 1

Has anyone noticed that since some publications ranked Henderson #1, he hasn't been all that great.  The dude is slumping right now.

.799 OPS in August with 12 walks and 31 K's.

Edited by RZNJ

Regarding service time manipulation: If Gunnar has a top three rookie of the year type season in 2023, then I think that is very likely to be more valuable to the Orioles than getting an extra year of team control. And I'm talking about production (WAR, WAA, whatever your metric), not about the extra pick if he's a ROY finalist, etc. The WAR per dollar value of a great Gunnar season next year will be worth more than the WAR per dollar of Gunnar's "extra" year of control and even what they may get in a future trade for Gunnar IMO. Not being able to afford Gunnar in six or so years is a best case scenario for the Orioles IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't thinks the draft pick alone does.

I think the added risk of him getting the full year of service time anyway does.

I think Elias would value the seventh year over the draft pick.

I 100% disagree with this and wouldn't be the model of keeping the window open longer.  The best way to keep that window going is continuing to bring young cheap talent into the system.  Elias and his group also thinks they can find guys that are a little under the radar and with small adjustments get maximum reward so the more picks they have the better.   If he has another comp pick that increases his chances to get a player that can replace that player for 5 years instead of one extra year from the player and much cheaper.  The Astros for the most part drafted a guy and then let him go to free agency and had another guy ready to take over ie Springer was replaced by Tucker, Correra was replaced by Pena. They also bought out some years with extending some of them before they hit free agency like Altuve and Bregman.  I wouldn't be surprised they do same thing here.   If Elias has full control he will do the same type things.  

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am surprised, I thought today would be the day.  I guess it could still be but I figure we would of heard something by now.

Same here -- been watching the news/socials all day hoping for the news so we could see his debut in person tonight.. but not looking good at this point.

6 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I 100% disagree with this and wouldn't be the model of keeping the window open longer.  The best way to keep that window going is continuing to bring young cheap talent into the system.  Elias and his group also thinks they can find guys that are a little under the radar and with small adjustments get maximum reward so the more picks they have the better.   If he has another comp pick that increases his chances to get a player that can replace that player for 5 years instead of one extra year from the player and much cheaper.  The Astros for the most part drafted a guy and then let him go to free agency and had another guy ready to take over ie Springer was replaced by Tucker, Correra was replaced by Pena. They also bought out some years with extending some of them before they hit free agency like Altuve and Bregman.  I wouldn't be surprised they do same thing here.   If Elias has full control he will do the same type things.  

Just keep in mind Elias wasn't the one making those calls with the Astros.

57 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am surprised, I thought today would be the day.  I guess it could still be but I figure we would of heard something by now.

Maybe we can still hope for Sept. 1st when the rosters expand.