5 Players the O's Need to add to the Roster to Push for the Wild Card

ScGO's

Over the off-season, I was very against Tyler Wells staying in the bullpen, repeatedly pointing out that he has a starter's mix and telling the "don't fix what isn't broken" crowd that our rotation was broken. 

Now, I agree the pen is the best placement of him for the rest of the season for a variety of reasons. (1) The rotation isn't in need of help right now but the relief options could use a boost due to regression & overuse. (2) It's a good way to control his innings and put him in that 120 IP range or whatever the target was. (3) He can get back to the big leagues much quicker. 

On the other hand, Grayson definitely needs to continue starting. He needs innings: 56 in 2022 compared to 103 in 2021. I'd suggest putting him in the Arizona Fall League even if his makes his Major League debut. Barring some disastrous results on rehab assignment, he should be with the O's ASAP, similar to Adley's situation on rehab this year. 

Matt Harvey and Bruce Zimmermann are posting meh results in Norfolk and they belong there for now. The standard has been raised. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, ScGO's said:

The rosters are expanding, but overall, Elias needs to do some real roster management if this team is going to have enough gas to finish the season.  These are 5 players that need to be added to the roster to help with a playoff push.

1. Tyler Wells - He needs to return and I don't care if its in a Bullpen role or if he gets starts still. Either way, we get back one of our best pitchers to help give the bullpen more rest either bc he's added to it, or one of our starters is pushed into a long relief role.

2. DL Hall - Elias has the right idea about putting him in the bullpen. I think he should be used as a 1 inning guy and replace what Bautista was before Lopez was traded. I think Bautista closing with Tate, Perez, and Hall as potential high leverage guys.  Control doesn't have to be perfect, but he simplifies the approach in relief, I think his K rates show he could be dominate

3. Grayson Rodriguez - Even if he returns in a relief role, he could be an interesting opener, or someone to piggy back with Wells or Voth.  Even if he isn't off the IL yet, I think he can be on a playoff roster if he's added to the 40  man before the rosters expand. If he's fully healthy and can find what he had before the injury he could be shutdown in a back end role to give Felix some rest too.

4. Matt Harvey - I still try to remind people that he had a 4.60 FIP last year without the new Wall.  He also didn't have quite the defense behind him either. Matt Harvey has pitched and pitched well in the World Series. I really think if last year's Harvey pitched for this year's O's he would have been just like Jordan Lyles. His numbers are great at Norfolk, but he's had some great starts. I think he could help give us innings down the stretch if there is a need.

5. Gunnar Henderson - He's the best offensive weapon we could possibly add, and it sounds like his defense will give us a boost as well. It moves Odor into a pinch hitting roles, and it also appears that Gunnar can give everyone in the infield a rest if they need it by playing all 4 infield spots.

Here we are 3 games out.

Wells just went down.  I'm looking at Harvey and GrayRod right now. They pulled up Watkins. If this is going to happen we need to catch lightning in a bottle and pull up both. I've said it a few times, I think with the Wall, Harvey can give us Lyle-esque starts. GrayRod might dominate. The bullpen is rested. Now is the time