I like the way Hyde uses Bautista

Frobby

Don Aase's great 34-save year for the 1986 O's at the age of 31 was 81.67 innings in 66 games. I remember thinking he was an almost guaranteed shut-down reliever that year. My date annoyed me the time I saw him in the old Yankee Stadium (the Winfield, Mattingly, Henderson, Guidry, Righetti et al Yankees) by wearing a Y's cap.

Edited by LA2

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Don Aase's great 34-save year for the 1986 O's at the age of 31 was 81.67 innings in 66 games. I remember thinking he was an almost guaranteed shut-down reliever that year. My date annoyed me the time I saw him in the old Yankee Stadium (the Winfield, Mattingly, Henderson, Guidry, Righetti et al Yankees) by wearing a Y's cap.

'86 was his last year as an effective reliever, only threw eight innings in '88.  

For some reason I never liked Aase.  Not sure why. Probably because he coincided with the demise of the Oriole dynasty.

Bautista is pitching a pretty high number of innings by today’s reliever standards.  I believe he’s 10th among pitchers who haven’t started a game.  Akin, Lopez and Tate are all ahead of him.  

Just watching him, I’m not seeing any signs at all that he’s wearing down.  The Mountain is strong like bull!

26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

'86 was his last year as an effective reliever, only threw eight innings in '88.  

For some reason I never liked Aase.  Not sure why. Probably because he coincided with the demise of the Oriole dynasty.

Actually, he threw 46.67 innings in '88. The truncated year was 1987 when he was injured. It was already late in his career. Two years later, he threw 59.33 innings with the Mets at age of 34. 1986 was def his peak year.

I like how Bautitsta is used to get 4 sometimes 5 outs in a close game, not sure I see the wisdom in using him in a 4 run game. He should be used in emergency cases only IMO, unless there are times when he just needed the work. Say tonight or tomorrow night Bautista's needed in both games. Using him Wednesday night wont look so good. 

29 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I like how Bautitsta is used to get 4 sometimes 5 outs in a close game, not sure I see the wisdom in using him in a 4 run game. He should be used in emergency cases only IMO, unless there are times when he just needed the work. Say tonight or tomorrow night Bautista's needed in both games. Using him Wednesday night wont look so good. 

He hadn't pitched since the 27th and with our other bullpen options there is plenty of risk in protecting a four run lead. These are as close as you can get to must win games against a potential wild card rival. 

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He hadn't pitched since the 27th and with our other bullpen options there is plenty of risk in protecting a four run lead. These are as close as you can get to must win games against a potential wild card rival. 

I agree with using him to keep him sharp.  But nobody in the O's pen, nobody, is likely to give up four runs in an inning.  The MLB average team wins 97% or 98% of games were they're up three runs going to the ninth. A random pitcher from the BaySox would convert 75% of three-run, three-out saves.  And last night was four runs.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I thought Buck didn’t believe in the save rule /s

I know you're being sarcastic, but just to reiterate how wild it is.... He famously said he didn't when he was hired, and then proceeded to abide by it SO STRICTLY that the Ubaldo incident happened in a do-or-die playoff scenario. lol

Edited by interloper

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but just to reiterate how wild it is.... He famously said he didn't when he was hired, and then proceeded to abide by it SO STRICTLY that the Ubaldo incident happened in a do-or-die playoff scenario. lol

Shortly after he was hired he had a game in which he didn't use the closer in the expected manner.  That was when he made his famous declaration.

Great soundbite.  Buck is a master at that aspect of managing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shortly after he was hired he had a game in which he didn't use the closer in the expected manner.  That was when he made his famous declaration.

Say what you (not you specifically) want about Hyde, but I think he has a much better "game feel" than Buck. Not that it always works out, but it seems like Hyde's instincts during a game are usually pretty good. Not that this is very quantifiable, I'm just spitballing.

Unfortunately, Hyde shares the same veteran obsession and Sunday lineup thing that Buck did.

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

Say what you (not you specifically) want about Hyde, but I think he has a much better "game feel" than Buck. Not that it always works out, but it seems like Hyde's instincts during a game are usually pretty good. Not that this is very quantifiable, I'm just spitballing.

I think the Ubaldo/Britton move stained Buck's in game reputation.   I think Buck was/is a very good tactician, user of his bullpen, etc.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I think the Ubaldo/Britton move stained Buck's in game reputation.   I think Buck was/is a very good tactician, user of his bullpen, etc.

I do agree. I'm not saying Buck was some bumbling manager - he was very good, obviously. It's just that in the moment that counted most, it seems like he trusted a pre-determined strategy over his gut. And the way that decision comes full circle on that soundbite will never leave my brain. 

Love Buck though. 

Just now, interloper said:

I do agree. I'm not saying Buck was some bumbling manager - he was very good, obviously. It's just that in the moment that counted most, it seems like he trusted a pre-determined strategy over his gut. And the way that decision comes full circle on that soundbite will never leave my brain. 

Love Buck though. 

Actually, I think you have it backwards.   He trusted his gut over the "book".

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buck had the commercial saying "I like the Win Rule better" than the save rule.  I forget exactly what argument he was trying to make.