Labor Day afternoon: Game 1 of the Orioles biggest doubleheader in decades

SteveA

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

Hyde has really wet the bed last 2 days:

1. Starting Chirinos in 2/3 days vs Oakland 

2. Not PH Stowers or Vavra for Aguilar in 7th.

3. Bringing hall back out for 9th after we cut it to one

4. Not throwing a tantrum and getting tossed to fire his team up

5. Likely starting Chirinos again in game 2

Well he has to start Chirinos in game two as Rutschman is not catching a double header. Why Aguilar is starting against right-hander is beyond understanding.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

There is no certainty. What if Perez throws 28 pitches and let’s up a run?

It’s all a calculated risk  

Would have to believe Akin and big 3 are set for Game 2. 9 man pen. No Vespi.  

I like Perez’s chances to get through a clean inning before Hall pours gas all over everything. I’m good with burning Perez in game 1 to give keep it 4-3 headed to the bottom of the 9th.  Stashing ALL THE GOOD BULLPEN ARMS for game 2 is silly.  Lyles can get 5, Akin, Tate, Bautista. Done. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Gausman has reverse splits and Aguilar did get a base hit. I don't think that was the issue today. 

A weakass single is not going to make him a better choice. His only role should be right-handed pinch hitter against a lefty late in games when a home run is needed. He really doesn't belong on this team.

He wasn't the reason the team lost, but he does not belong starting against any right-handed pitcher regardless of splits.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

A weakass single is not going to make him a better choice. His only role should be right-handed pinch hitter against a lefty late in games when a home run is needed. He really doesn't belong on this team.

He wasn't the reason the team lost, but he does not belong starting against any right-handed pitcher regardless of splits.

His single was a rocket up the middle.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well he has to start Chirinos in game two as Rutschman is not catching a double header. Why Aguilar is starting against right-hander is beyond understanding.

tThat's why I didn't get him starting Chirinos yesterday if he knew Adley was not catching both ends of DH.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I like Perez’s chances to get through a clean inning before Hall pours gas all over everything. I’m good with burning Perez in game 1 to give keep it 4-3 headed to the bottom of the 9th.  Stashing ALL THE GOOD BULLPEN ARMS for game 2 is silly.  Lyles can get 5, Akin, Tate, Bautista. Done. 

Great. They are up/tied in the middle innings of Game 2 at some point Hall is pitching. You assume none of those arms have any issues. 

9 man pen 

No Vespi 

Joey K used 

BB used 

Saving big 3 

So you use Akin, Sulser or Hall. If you use Perez then that leaves you with 2 from Group A in Game 2. Unless we blow them out somebody other than the big 3 has to get big outs today at some point. What if Lyles can’t go deep? What if a rain delay? 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Great. They are up/tied in the middle innings of Game 2 at some point Hall is pitching. You assume none of those arms have any issues. 

9 man pen 

No Vespi 

Joey K used 

BB used 

Saving big 3 

So you use Akin, Sulser or Hall. If you use Perez then that leaves you with 2 from Group A in Game 2. Unless we blow them out somebody other than the big 3 has to get big outs today at some point. What if Lyles can’t go deep? What if a rain delay? 

My what-If scenarios are better than your what-if scenarios. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I meant it was a single. It didn't even move the runner up two bases. He's here I guess to hit for power. He's been worthless.

It didn't move the runner up because it was hit hard. It was game 1 of a double header with 2 RHPs. As long as he is on the team I have no problem with him starting against the reverse split guy. If he starts game 2 I will be alarmed. What he's doing on the team is the better question.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They seem very down on Stowers who I will say hasn’t looked that great, but Adley looked like shit for the first 30 or so games too