Why is Aguilar on this team?

Chelsea_Phil

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the best I can do with Aguilar: the O’s saw something they thought they could fix.  It didn’t take at first (1 for 18 in his first 6 games), but eventually Aguilar began to come around once he adjusted to what the O’s were having him do (.308/.333/.423 in his last 8 games).   

I’m not saying I buy it myself.  It’s just the only rationale I can come up with that makes any sense to me.   

I'm sticking with my roster requirement "joke".

Elias didn't want to burn a 40 man roster spot to bring someone up so he signed a warm body to fill out the roster.

He obviously has some reason for not playing Stowers against LHP so Aguilar gets those at bats.

Edited by Can_of_corn

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the best I can do with Aguilar: the O’s saw something they thought they could fix.  It didn’t take at first (1 for 18 in his first 6 games), but eventually Aguilar began to come around once he adjusted to what the O’s were having him do (.308/.333/.423 in his last 8 games).   

I’m not saying I buy it myself.  It’s just the only rationale I can come up with that makes any sense to me.   

Or they just thought the law of averages might have them catch lightening in a bottle for a good last two months from Aguilar.   Last year's Aguilar was pretty much equal to this year's Mancini.   I think they took a shot.   Nothing too analytical about it.   They knew Aguilar stunk in the first half and hoped they might get the strong second half.    

Elias did not feel this was a playoff team.   He pretty much came right out and said it when he traded Mancini and Lopez.   He wasn't going to give up something of value, instead he gave up current value for future value at the deadline.     

46 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This is the reason Aguilar is here. Because Elias didn't want to use a 40-man spot on Westburg. 

At least that's the only reason I can think of.

And it's crap. He chose a struggling re-tread over an exciting young player, during a playoff race, to save a 40-man roster spot. That's my conclusion and I hate it.

I understand what Elias wanted to do, I just think he did it wrong. Rutschman could have played 1B to back up Mountcastle. He played it in the minors in 2021 and was pretty good. 

Stowers should have gotten those ABs against the lefties. He should have been challenged against major league lefties.

Why do you bring a prospect up who hits both righties and lefties (actually hit lefties better) then platoon him for a guy who has no part on the future and was not good all year?

Just doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I understand what Elias wanted to do, I just think he did it wrong. Rutschman could have played 1B to back up Mountcastle. He played it in the minors in 2021 and was pretty good. 

Stowers should have gotten those ABs against the lefties. He should have been challenged against major league lefties.

Why do you bring a prospect up who hits both righties and lefties (actually hit lefties better) then platoon him for a guy who has no part on the future and was not good all year?

Just doesn't make sense.

Or even pick up Aguilar and sit him on the bench unless Mountcastle needs a day off or he needs to pinch hit.

• Upvote 1

Y'all seem to have forgotten that they picked up Aguilar when Mountcastle was in a two-month slump that was beginning to look like it would last the whole season. If the prospect of being replaced by Aguilar against LHP helped shake RMC up, that counts as a benefit.

I am watching the replay of yesterdays game Saturday morning, Second run scored on a wild pitch by Brittan, we have a Man on third base with one out, and Aguilar is at the plate.  Of course the bum strikes out.  Thank god we won the game.  Why IS HE STILL GETTING AT BATS?????

Edited by Chelsea_Phil
  • Upvote 1