Wednesday, September 14: Orioles complete 2 game series in Washington

SteveA

So the Nats started the bullpen car last year at some point.   This is about the 10th game I've been to since then and that is the FIRST TIME I have ever seen a reliever take the cart in.   It always stops by the bullpen, offers the reliever a ride, he refuses, and it circles the warning track so everyone can read the sponsor name.

But Baker actually rode in it!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Three problems with that:

1.  We don't play Tampa 6 times like we do Toronto so we need a lot of help from other teams.
  2.  We went 9-10 against them so they have the tiebreak (vs Toronto we have the tiebreak).   So being 4 back of Tampa is really like being 5 back.  Sucks that they took away tiebreak playoff games.
  3. Having that 3 game series at the end of the season with Toronto meant that all we had to do is get within 3 games by October 2 and we'd at least have a fighting chance, basically a 1982 style situation.   If we are 3 back of Tampa with 3 left, sure we are still in it mathematically but not only would we need a sweep but we would need [whoever] to sweep Tampa too which would be a complete pipe dream.

So the Jays taking 3 of 4 is actually quite bad for us, hurts our chances bigtime.

If we had beaten Tampa ONE more time, we would be one game better, they would be one game worse, and we would have the tiebreaker two so instead of what is essentially a 5 game deficit right now (4 with them having the tiebreak), it would be just 2.   Someone go back over our 10 losses to Tampa and find The One That Got Away.

I know all those things. I was merely going by who we re now going to be closer to. It’s tough regardless... but just keep winning and playing well and let the cards lie where they will. 

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This seems like a good time to make my thoughts on these Nationals hats. They are in a word, AWful. They look like a 1980's minor league hat.

I've said they look like something you'd get on the mall in DC for about ten bucks. Has a made in Bangladesh tag in it. 

Only think missing is mouse ears or a raccoon tail down the back. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

So the Nats started the bullpen car last year at some point.   This is about the 10th game I've been to since then and that is the FIRST TIME I have ever seen a reliever take the cart in.   It always stops by the bullpen, offers the reliever a ride, he refuses, and it circles the warning track so everyone can read the sponsor name.

But Baker actually rode in it!  

Doolittle always took it I believe. 

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I know all those things. I was merely going by who we re now going to be closer to. It’s tough regardless... but just keep winning and playing well and let the cards lie where they will. 

Yeah. Just have to keep winning. 

Kevin Brown said it was good news the Jays won….

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This seems like a good time to make my thoughts on these Nationals hats. They are in a word, AWful. They look like a 1980's minor league hat.

Somehow they found a way to make the Walgreens logo caps look better. The new Nationals hats look like they came from a 1980's or early 90's movie about a fictional baseball team. 

Just now, PHRESH said:

Any reliever ever DRIVE it in? 

Not that I’m aware of. It’s a wonder Stanhouse never did it. 

I’m too young to remember 79 but I’ve seen the replay of some of the games and the cart was still used then. I know they had it for the WS teams 69-71.  Not sure what was first year it started. I think most teams ended it in early 80’s. 

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Three problems with that:

1.  We don't play Tampa 6 times like we do Toronto so we need a lot of help from other teams.
  2.  We went 9-10 against them so they have the tiebreak (vs Toronto we have the tiebreak).   So being 4 back of Tampa is really like being 5 back.  Sucks that they took away tiebreak playoff games.
  3. Having that 3 game series at the end of the season with Toronto meant that all we had to do is get within 3 games by October 2 and we'd at least have a fighting chance, basically a 1982 style situation.   If we are 3 back of Tampa with 3 left, sure we are still in it mathematically but not only would we need a sweep but we would need [whoever] to sweep Tampa too which would be a complete pipe dream.

So the Jays taking 3 of 4 is actually quite bad for us, hurts our chances bigtime.

If we had beaten Tampa ONE more time, we would be one game better, they would be one game worse, and we would have the tiebreaker two so instead of what is essentially a 5 game deficit right now (4 with them having the tiebreak), it would be just 2.   Someone go back over our 10 losses to Tampa and find The One That Got Away.

I would nominate the July 27 game as The One That Got Away.

The Orioles came from behind to tie the game on a ninth-inning homer by Mateo.  The Orioles had been doing very well in extra-inning games, and with All-Star Jorge Lopez coming in to pitch the top of the tenth, I had to like their chances of winning this one.

But Yandy Diaz hit a little dribbler down the third-base line for an infield single and Lopez walked Brandon Lowe.  That brought up Arozarena with no place to put him, and he smacked a two-run double.

Lopez got out of the inning without allowing any more runs, but Fairbanks put the O's down 1-2-3 and the Rays won, 6-4.

Lopez would pitch only one more game in an Oriole uniform.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not that I’m aware of. It’s a wonder Stanhouse never did it. 

I’m too young to remember 79 but I’ve seen the replay of some of the games and the cart was still used then. I know they had it for the WS teams 69-71.  Not sure what was first year it started. I think most teams ended it in early 80’s. 

Back in the ‘60s and ‘70s the Dodgers used one for relievers every game.

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Beating the Walgreens Nationals is always a plus. 

BcxgprcCAAAkdce?format=jpg&name=small

What people are missing in this comparison is that the Nationals' logo is simply continuing the one used by the Washington Senators 1963-71:

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/79/washington_senators/

So in a sense it's not the Nationals who unthinkingly resemble Walgreens, but the other way around: https://1000logos.net/walgreens-logo/

Wegman's also had a "flying W" and sued Walgreens.